World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That may be true, but if you're just playing with your kids, they probably don't understand anything about how endgame works and it shouldn't affect you at all if you mind your own business on a burner account.
Are you kidding? if my kids are anything like me, it's endgame content within a month.

I didn't raise no god damn retribution paladin in this house!

Last edited:
  • 11Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
They've confirmed classic will be the old talent trees, too, right? As much as I don't think the desire for classic will last that long for some people when they remember the grinds like resist gear etc. In a way I do kinda miss a well played hunter being on the top up through wod. Instead of struggling for middle of the road like they do now.

But if they can pull off like time locked progression servers etc. Where they do classic and up, unlocking each xpansion before the previous one hits that moment of feeling too stale, and then start over again, it might be fun.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
They've confirmed classic will be the old talent trees, too, right? As much as I don't think the desire for classic will last that long for some people when they remember the grinds like resist gear etc. In a way I do kinda miss a well played hunter being on the top up through wod. Instead of struggling for middle of the road like they do now.

But if they can pull off like time locked progression servers etc. Where they do classic and up, unlocking each xpansion before the previous one hits that moment of feeling too stale, and then start over again, it might be fun.
It'll be 1.12 talent trees afaik, not the earlier vanilla ones. Not sure if that's what you meant by "old" or not.

Also wtf do you mean by hunters being on top lol

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I remember it being Rogues, Warriors and Mages on top, but then again I don't think I ever played with any good hunters back then.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I remember it being Rogues, Warriors and Mages on top, but then again I don't think I ever played with any good hunters back then.

Those 3 were definitely good too. Though on warriors, at least from my recollection with who I played with, didn't seem to do that strongly til about patchwerk, then we had one that just wrecked on a rediculous level. But prior to that, at least in my guild it was the survival/MM hunters mostly up through AQ til nax, then we were too busy with other crap. Then BC came out and it was the 1-button BM macro that destroyed.

I think i just remember hunters feeling in a better place up through the end of mop than they were beyond that. Then it was frustrating. Especially with how stupid their armor sets always looked except for the first couple of tiers in wotlk. and tier 4 in bc.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Hunters pretty much just existed for tranq lol, but they were gods in pvp if played correctly. Only thing that countered them was warriors. (or rogues but rogues countered everything)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Hunters pretty much just existed for tranq lol, but they were gods in pvp if played correctly. Only thing that countered them was warriors. (or rogues but rogues countered everything)
I always felt hunters were solid against rogues unless you were able to ambush them and they were not good.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ecstatic to play the absolute ass that was Classic Demonology throughout its lifespan!

/s

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I always felt hunters were solid against rogues unless you were able to ambush them and they were not good.
I world PvPed a lot on Hunter during Vanilla since it was my "main" class for several patches(until AQ40 when I switched to War) and Rogues were I think slightly rogue favored, but player skill was the most relevant factor in that match up, because there were A LOT of tricks both between the rogue and the hunter, with traps/flare/wingclip(also RNG for the proc iirc?) versus blind stealth resets, not hitting parries during that survival cooldown and shit like that. Bad rogues I generally had no issues killing. I did have good gear though at most points of the game, and that mattered a lot. Especially Rhokdellar I think was really cool, and that BWL xbow or the pvp xbow.

Mages were the hardest matchup as far as I remember, because they could pretty much ignore your "advantage", kiting, since they were also range and had similar/superior ranged burst with pom pyro bullshit. As far as I remember those matchups were more decided by wether or not you critted an aimed shot/multishot or stupid shit like that.

PvE wise, hunters were kinda meh. I believe alliance hunters were more competitive though because of seal of wisdom, since hunters were pretty mana hungry, although I mostly only cleared up to BWL on hunter and I don't really remember that much who was topping numbers then in our guild. Starting AQ though, Fury warriors were all the rage(hehe), although a lot of the time that involved threat resetting with a soulstone. Rogues were good too at that point, I think they made hemo good somewhere around that time? I don't remember naxx DPS tiers at all though cause I was exclusively tanking at that point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
BoW was irrelevant for hunters due to feign death wiping threat. Marksman aimed shot spam and chugging mana potions, while also making sure you didn't run out of arrows. Mages were pathetic against hunters if you had the right pet. A 0.5s attack speed on a cat of some kind, and a caster can barely get anything other than instants off, and 90% of mages weren't running POM/Pyro due to raids. A well geared and properly spec'd hunter could take on virtually anyone that didn't get the jump on them. Except warriors. The ranged dead zone against something that can charge and slow you, and prevent a trap cast from going off. Similar to bears, used to have a good time fucking with hunters, being able to shift out of traps.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Those fucking lava spider pets were a nightmare as a Caster without delay-ignore. Such fast attack speed. Like, those guys were one of the specific reasons they nerfed pets into a gray sludge of same-ness later in the game. Also that Rare Wolf that randomly had like 30 higher resists than normal.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Frostwolves out of AV also had that ridiculous move speed, Lupos in Duskwood also dealt shadow damage instead of physical. Some fun pets back in the day. They're so boring now.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

Only time a rogue beat me was when they were laggy as hell and no matter what I did would give me a range error. They'd be too close to attack with range/conc shot, and if i tried to wing clip it would say "too far away" - Oh how I loved the dead zone, and rogues who sprinted and teleported around cause they were on a 3rd world connection.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
BoW was irrelevant for hunters due to feign death wiping threat. Marksman aimed shot spam and chugging mana potions, while also making sure you didn't run out of arrows. Mages were pathetic against hunters if you had the right pet. A 0.5s attack speed on a cat of some kind, and a caster can barely get anything other than instants off, and 90% of mages weren't running POM/Pyro due to raids. A well geared and properly spec'd hunter could take on virtually anyone that didn't get the jump on them. Except warriors. The ranged dead zone against something that can charge and slow you, and prevent a trap cast from going off. Similar to bears, used to have a good time fucking with hunters, being able to shift out of traps.
BoW was relevant later on because you actually ran out of mana as far as I remember, which is why horde hunters started being kinda shit in naxx(longer fights, high damage uptime), while alliance hunters had infinite mana(there was mana totem but it wasn't nearly as good iirc). Not sure what threat had to do with it, although you could FD then drink early on but iirc that was fixed at some point, plus it was inefficient use of time anyway.

Obviously PvE spec mages weren't nearly as much of a threat, but any relevant mages had a pvp spec for pvp. A lot of mages in my guild and generally on my server were running pom pyro builds or those full arcane builds with arcane blast and uninteruptible arcane missiles until AQ or so(at which point it was nerfed too, I think trinkets not stacking with pom or something like that, maybe that was before). BWL was easy enough you didn't need dedicated specs for anything really, and most people I know ran pvp spec warrior tanks, pvp spec mages, pvp spec hunters and so on. People didn't bother respecing for pve because it wasn't necessary, and we only raided because we wanted gear to do pvp with for the most part.

I think warriors were fine too as a hunter. Frost trap/wingclip root procs to gain distance, mostly spamming multishots whenever you could get range, distracting shot > freezing trap > aimed shot/multishot whenever it was up, weaving in raptor strikes every time they got in melee. As far as I remember I think warriors were easier than good rogues, but bad warriors were harder than bad rogues. Still it wasn't a horrible match up.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

We had some good hunters in our guild and they could top the meters with the right gear. They couldn't beat well-geared rogues of course for pure shredding, but they could do good. Back then you had melee weapons AND ranged weapons, so hunters could boost their stats with a 2hander or dual-wielded melee despite using a bow/gun/xbow. Hunters had some utility in raiding also because feign death got you out of combat even in raid fights, so they could battle rez with engineering or FD on a wipe and rez a healer afterwards to save the raid a long corpse run (which is a big deal for old world stuff like Molten Core and AQ40 with their long-ass corpse runs and respawning trash).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FD drink still worked at least in wotlk.
I thought it broke sometimes in BWL when they did the put you in combat constantly shit, but maybe I remember wrong and you just had to drink right away to not fuck it up. Anyway sitting and drinking was obviously not an optimal use of your time for mana management and as far as I remember because BoW was so much more consistent than mana totems(especially since you could get mana on everyone with just the one paladin, instead of having a shaman in every hunter grp), in Naxx alliance hunters were far ahead. But might be wrong it's all old memories I haven't played vanilla since the original and I wasn't playing a hunter anymore at that point anyway.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
And the AQ gear with all the +hit so I can switch to fury $$$

Will WoW Classic be the return of the Situation? We just had a 2nd place situation on current expac, felt like a knife through my soul.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user