World of Warcraft: Classic

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I really wonder if they go will go with 100% classic as possible mechanics. I dont think modern gaming community handle the griefing shithole that was gadgetzan pvp.

I would get up onto the roof of the gadgetzan inn or bank and mc horde and have them attack other horde. Insta durability hit and guards wouldnt do anything to me. Eventually they did make it so they could path up top and chain root you but that was a while after launch.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Sadly, that was changed in 1.12 so it won't be happening regardless. I do miss watching Delly Delly gank random lowbies in a decked out hunter standing on the rooftops lmao

I kind of imagine they will do away with that in its entirety though as it was kind of a gamebreaking bug anyways? But it'll make me sad to not see.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Origin

Molten Core Raider
So Allen Brack is the new CEO of Blizzard. Wonder whether this will affect Classic and in what ways.

The guy seems to have come around since the Blizzcon from a few years ago, but still...

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
1539266077194.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
So Allen Brack is the new CEO of Blizzard. Wonder whether this will affect Classic and in what ways.

The guy seems to have come around since the Blizzcon from a few years ago, but still...

Recent ClassiCast had a Nostalrius dev on and he does talk a bit about meeting with Blizzard, said J. Allen Brack seemed to really regret even making the "you think you do but you don't line", mostly cause it was super dismissive but still. He sat in on the meeting and talked with them and everything and seemed to support it pretty early on, apparently.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Recent ClassiCast had a Nostalrius dev on and he does talk a bit about meeting with Blizzard, said J. Allen Brack seemed to really regret even making the "you think you do but you don't line", mostly cause it was super dismissive but still. He sat in on the meeting and talked with them and everything and seemed to support it pretty early on, apparently.

That's the thing about what he did. He had a very good point, but he did it in such a shitty dismissive tone that it immediately pissed everyone off. I certainly hope he learned some sort of lesson, as that sort of attitude does not mesh well with being the head-honcho (if you have any sort of customer-facing presence anyways)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
You can tell in the original clip that he almost instantly regretted saying it. He could feel the crowd was against him. He even tried to win them back by saying "but the bugs!! they'll be there too!!". Then promptly shut up when he knew he made a mistake.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It wasn't shitty that Blizz didn't want to make classic. It was shitty that they were actively shutting down people who did.

Gamers "Hey Blizzard, can I buy a slice of WoW Classic pie?"
Blizz "No. We don't make that pie. We will never make that pie"
Nost "Hey I've got some free WoW Classic pie you can have!"
Blizz "NO! NOT ALLOWED! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That's the thing about what he did. He had a very good point, but he did it in such a shitty dismissive tone that it immediately pissed everyone off. I certainly hope he learned some sort of lesson, as that sort of attitude does not mesh well with being the head-honcho (if you have any sort of customer-facing presence anyways)

Every now and then one of the people I gamed with would get this idea to run an old school 1st edition D&D campaign. Hardcore! 4d6 stat generation! We'll play the game as it is supposed to be played! This happened a number of times over the years. Not a single one of those campaigns lasted longer than three or four sessions. What we thought we wanted we didn't want. It was a game that we were all done with and just didn't know it yet.

But you can still sucker me into a game of Monopoly (zero house rules, fight me nerds) if you decide you want to give it a go. Last year I made multiple runs each of Final Fantasy 1 and Secret of Mana back to back to each other. I fucking love those games. Ever reread a book find it was an entirely new experience the second time around? It's a really undervalued pursuit, going back over the same ground like that, but I get a little kick every time I find a better way to do something in a game I thought I knew everything about. Actually, I think I'm not going to reforge this Imp's Fork. The Balloon proc is way more valuable and there are plenty of other weapons if I just need damage. Why didn't I ever see that as a kid?

For as good as online gaming can be I think that we've really started to run head first into one of it's biggest limitations - irreplaceable experiences and the smothering of nostalgia. I can play Dungeons and Dragons again. All I need is a couple people willing to play with me. I can't play League of Legends as it was five years ago. The same is true for City of Heroes or Warhammer Online. Between changing and dying there's just no way to play some games as they were. We've going to have a couple generations of kids that grew up with this stuff that just can't ever go back like I can go back. World of Warcraft is a huge fucking game. It's had millions upon millions of people play it during its different eras. You can't go back and play through Wrath of the Lich King as it was. Someone says it's the experience they want and Blizzard tells them no. They don't want what they think the want. Well do they? I quoted Brave New World before in a WoW thread before but I'm going to do it again here -

"But I like the inconveniences."

"We don't," said the Controller. "We prefer to do things comfortably."

"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."

"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

There's a whole mess of World of Warcraft players that are making that same declaration.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I do know I don't want the current WoW. I like my MMOs with more forces socialization. Only chance at my money is Classic.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Every now and then one of the people I gamed with would get this idea to run an old school 1st edition D&D campaign. Hardcore! 4d6 stat generation! We'll play the game as it is supposed to be played! This happened a number of times over the years. Not a single one of those campaigns lasted longer than three or four sessions. What we thought we wanted we didn't want. It was a game that we were all done with and just didn't know it yet.

But you can still sucker me into a game of Monopoly (zero house rules, fight me nerds) if you decide you want to give it a go. Last year I made multiple runs each of Final Fantasy 1 and Secret of Mana back to back to each other. I fucking love those games. Ever reread a book find it was an entirely new experience the second time around? It's a really undervalued pursuit, going back over the same ground like that, but I get a little kick every time I find a better way to do something in a game I thought I knew everything about. Actually, I think I'm not going to reforge this Imp's Fork. The Balloon proc is way more valuable and there are plenty of other weapons if I just need damage. Why didn't I ever see that as a kid?

For as good as online gaming can be I think that we've really started to run head first into one of it's biggest limitations - irreplaceable experiences and the smothering of nostalgia. I can play Dungeons and Dragons again. All I need is a couple people willing to play with me. I can't play League of Legends as it was five years ago. The same is true for City of Heroes or Warhammer Online. Between changing and dying there's just no way to play some games as they were. We've going to have a couple generations of kids that grew up with this stuff that just can't ever go back like I can go back. World of Warcraft is a huge fucking game. It's had millions upon millions of people play it during its different eras. You can't go back and play through Wrath of the Lich King as it was. Someone says it's the experience they want and Blizzard tells them no. They don't want what they think the want. Well do they? I quoted Brave New World before in a WoW thread before but I'm going to do it again here

There's a whole mess of World of Warcraft players that are making that same declaration.
In that same breath, folks will plop down a 110 year old Monopoly board. Or fucking chess. Or as I replay through Final Fantasy 1 or Chrono Trigger, 30 years after the fact for the twentieth time. While I can't make an equivalent comparison for incredibly obvious reasons, the fact that we can't pick that one dusty game box off the shelf, and still manage to have a good time is certainly annoying. And mentally conflicting. I can load up Master of Orion 2 and still have fun playing it. The fluidity of a MMO kinna fucks the placitidy of the thing. That Blizzard is even entertaining the idea should be heralded.

I don't see it as a directly profitable venture, but it does draw interest to the primary title. Having it run concurrently would be incredibly intelligent. Just as they've done in the creation of the Blizzard launcher.

As far as sustainability, Wow fans are fucking insufferable, myself included. If it means keeping a subscription to login and collect rocks to increase my dark iron rep, folks will still login. As long as the current game continues to grow and expand as it has for nearly two decades.

And as has been said time and time again, the only thing that can kill wow is wow. And by that I don't mean classic wow, I mean WOW 2.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I know that Hunter wasn't the best pick for raid DPS, but goddamn I loved playing my Hunter.

It'll be hard not to pick it up again for Classic.

• 3Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
If I do play again it will have to be DPS warrior - fuck it being sub-optimal, I will top Vael parses at least!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
i always wanted an Anathema, i'll probably bust out a shadow priest when this actually launches

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
If I do play again it will have to be DPS warrior - fuck it being sub-optimal, I will top Vael parses at least!
What do you mean by sub optimal? DPS warriors are top tier in MC/BWL and #1 in AQ and Naxx. Every vanilla private server is like 30% warriors.

• 3Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Hunters are the best in vanilla. You are pretty much unkillable. You and your pet can solo everything except world bosses. Go eng/lw and have an alt for skinning and mining. You will go through sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much ammo.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I posted in the wrong thread cause I'm a dumbass but I think I've decided on a good ol orc shaman.. rogue is still on the table for griefing though

Last edited:
  • 1Like