World of Warcraft: Classic

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I played release day in 2004. Funny story, I woke up that day intending to go to Gamestop and buy the DS I think at the time.

I got down to the store like 10 minutes early because I'm habitually 10 minutes early to everything, and there was this fuck huge line. I had an opportunity to play WoW beta but passed, wasn't really paying much attention because my experience with Star Wars Galaxies had me kinda like "Eh" to any more MMOs.

I go up to the people in line and asked what they were waiting on. They said World of Warcraft. Something in my brain clicked, and decided right then and there I'd just get me and my spouse copies of that shit instead of the DS. I drove across the street to Best Buy, there was no line, picked up to Collector's Editions right off the shelf, bought em, went home, installed, and was playing by I dunno 1 or 2 pm that day.

It wasn't too crowded, but I remember queues later (I rolled on Zul'Jin last server on the list seemed a good idea to avoid too many crowds at the time) and lots of crashes and desyncing loot bugs and all sorts of fun stuff that first week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I played release day in 2004. Funny story, I woke up that day intending to go to Gamestop and buy the DS I think at the time.

I got down to the store like 10 minutes early because I'm habitually 10 minutes early to everything, and there was this fuck huge line. I had an opportunity to play WoW beta but passed, wasn't really paying much attention because my experience with Star Wars Galaxies had me kinda like "Eh" to any more MMOs.

I go up to the people in line and asked what they were waiting on. They said World of Warcraft. Something in my brain clicked, and decided right then and there I'd just get me and my spouse copies of that shit instead of the DS. I drove across the street to Best Buy, there was no line, picked up to Collector's Editions right off the shelf, bought em, went home, installed, and was playing by I dunno 1 or 2 pm that day.

It wasn't too crowded, but I remember queues later (I rolled on Zul'Jin last server on the list seemed a good idea to avoid too many crowds at the time) and lots of crashes and desyncing loot bugs and all sorts of fun stuff that first week.
Honestly, beta was what sold me on World of Warcraft.

I was beta testing both WoW and EQ2 at the same time, and being the die hard EQ fan back in the day, I was squarely planning to go the EQ2 route. I got in to the beta for both games, and... well let's just say EQ2 was the major suck of all sucks, but WoW was fucking amazing.

I was blown away with all the cool shit in WoW that was just flavor and quality of life improvements on things that we had been told for years was not possible in EQ1. It opened my eyes to what a quality developer can do with the right amount of time, money, resources, and WILLINGNESS to make the best game possible at the time.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Do any of you have an addon to help with reactionary abilities like after a dodge or parry? My warrior has a couple and I never notice them because there's no distinct sound.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
back in vanilla days it was exactly like it is has been for me here so far with the competition for mobs and people everywhere

The year is 2019.
You are old.
Technology is 15 years more better.
There are 20 PVP servers.
There are 15,000+ players on a server.
Servers have 200 min queues.
Servers have layers.
Players can abuse layers to farm or avoid PvP.
Spawn timers are not identical to vanilla.
Players, due to years on emu's, run spell cleave dungeon groups.
Players discuss thotts in Barrens chat.

By jove...
You're right!
The game is exactly the same!

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Do any of you have an addon to help with reactionary abilities like after a dodge or parry? My warrior has a couple and I never notice them because there's no distinct sound.

You can use weakauras to trigger or elvui might have something built in with their latest update. Also floating combat text can be set to show dodge and parry.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Hahah, Yeah, I still remember exactly where I was, grinding mobs in Plane of Valor on EQ, when I got a phone call from a friend in the Navy. He told me he was shipping out for 6 months, and wanted to know if I wanted to use his WoW beta account. I remember thinking I would log out of EQ for 30 minutes to try wow out. 4 hours later I logged back over to EQ, told my guild I was never playing again, gave all my shit to a friend, and uninstalled. I even remember breaking my EQ disks so I wouldn't be tempted to ever play again. It was just night and day.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Grand thanks I'll look into those. What I really want is like a daoc friar when you dodge it made a sound or that CLANG when you parried.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like I said I was an EQ diehard. when Wow beta came around I played it and liked it for what it was, it just didn't have that pull like EQ did for me, as I was fucking hooked on EQ like a hooker on crack.

But I got on the bandwagon and played it for a few years off and on.

The things I still dont like about wow is how everything tries to be balanced, too balanced and too normalized. Every item is spreadsheet designed. The quest hub thing was cool in the beginning but it ended up being more of a chore than anything.

The raids were better though and the beginning dungeons were really cool, until they took a shit around TBC era to be on rails. Then later gutted all together when the stupid LFD tool came out.

I also liked the PvP aspect of it and really loved the instanced PvP too. I could grind AV for days and never get sick of it.

But in the end EQ for some reason just felt more magical for me. Maybe because it was my first.

• 1Solidarity

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
You can use weakauras to trigger or elvui might have something built in with their latest update. Also floating combat text can be set to show dodge and parry.

If you want to be a really lazy dude you can always macro it as well, for example

#show Sunderarmor
/cast ReactionSkillName
/cast Sunder Armor

That will give you an icon that looks like Sunderarmor, and will always try to use your reaction first, and if its not up will use Sunderarmor. I don't know exactly what your use is as a warrior, but as a rogue I just went ahead and tied Riposte (only active after I parry an attack) to sinister strike, my spammable skill.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Honestly, beta was what sold me on World of Warcraft.

I was beta testing both WoW and EQ2 at the same time, and being the die hard EQ fan back in the day, I was squarely planning to go the EQ2 route. I got in to the beta for both games, and... well let's just say EQ2 was the major suck of all sucks, but WoW was fucking amazing.

I was blown away with all the cool shit in WoW that was just flavor and quality of life improvements on things that we had been told for years was not possible in EQ1. It opened my eyes to what a quality developer can do with the right amount of time, money, resources, and WILLINGNESS to make the best game possible at the time.

I had almost an intentional blind spot to the game. When I got an email telling me I was in the beta, I literally ignored it.

SW:G just sucked so hard it had me like not even thinking the MMO genre would be something i"d be interested in.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
The year is 2019.
You are old.
Technology is 15 years more better.
There are 20 PVP servers.
There are 15,000+ players on a server.
Servers have 200 min queues.
Servers have layers.
Players can abuse layers to farm or avoid PvP.
Spawn timers are not identical to vanilla.
Players, due to years on emu's, run spell cleave dungeon groups.
Players discuss thotts in Barrens chat

By jove...
You're right!
The game is exactly the same!

zombiewizardhawk said:

back in vanilla days it was exactly like it is has been for me here so far with the competition for mobs and people everywhere

If you can just abuse layers to farm then why is everyone complaining that there are 10 people camping the mobs they want to kill and it's impossible and the game is stupid? I remember several servers back in vanilla that had 200 minute queues at primetime (Tichondrius I think was the most popular one at the time I played? it's been a long time so maybe not).

What do spell cleave dungeon groups have to do with zones having "too many players" in them, or roaming alliance ganksquads?

• 1Salty

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I thought you said we were right?

Are you saying we are wrong now?

Bro, you flip flop more than Elisahontas Warchief.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I don't know exactly what your use is as a warrior

Yea me either. I solo fine but in groups I chase things around and try to get it away from the squishies with very little success. Defense stance taunt seems like is the only thing that works and it has a cooldown. The electric shock thing they just seem to ignore. 2 or 3 sunder armors can work in between taunts.

I think I trained a new aggro shout thing I've yet to try.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I had almost an intentional blind spot to the game. When I got an email telling me I was in the beta, I literally ignored it.

SW:G just sucked so hard it had me like not even thinking the MMO genre would be something i"d be interested in.
I still have my Starwars Galaxies beta discs laying around the house somewhere. It was kind of cool back in the day because companies would actually mail beta discs to you.

I remember being SO excited to beta test SWG, and then when I got in the game, I was like WTF is this shit?!?! Where's my EverQuest In Space?!!!! lol

I was so pathetically addicted to EQ back in the day which sucks really because I straight up hated on some MMORPGs that I know I would have grown to love if I had not compared every single one of them to EQ. One in particular that I really hate that I didn't give a good chance to back when it was a thing is Dark Age of Camelot. Hind sight 20 20, I really did like the fucked up old school character models and loved the spell graphics in the game. It had pretty interesting classes as well. I just never gave it a real chance because it wasn't exactly like EQ.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
The game is definitely overcrowded. I’m level 38 and hillsbrad, desolate and STV were impossible to get anything done. Everything is camped. The kurzen camp in N STV looked like a 40 main raid was shooting the shit on a break. Went to kill some tigers next to it (and mind you those are awful to farm) and it was just corpses. Desolace centaurs farmed as fuck. Hillsbrad yettia farmed as fuck. This is insane

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"You've ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!"

2019: Hold my mage water.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users