World of Warcraft: Classic

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How does that work? Will you be able to stomp a level 32 in Stranglethorn with your 60 until he has to spirit healer rez or not?
The new system is every realm you can now opt-in/out of pvp, no more straight pvp servers. Sry

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The new system is every realm you can now opt-in/out of pvp, no more straight pvp servers. Sry

Well it's a bit deeper than that.

You only get placed on sharts that share your gameplay choice. So you will end up on 'PVP STV' when it is sharted. Effectively it's like having a dynamic selection you could do now with tedious LFG shenanigans only easy and user friendly.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
They've switched the kind of source control they use at least once since then, but sometimes you can keep history intact when doing that. I managed to keep mine when going from svn to mercurial.

I don't think they would go back to an old client though. Probably easier to just bend the new one a bit.

The model format changed a few times too seems like.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They've switched the kind of source control they use at least once since then, but sometimes you can keep history intact when doing that. I managed to keep mine when going from svn to mercurial.

I don't think they would go back to an old client though. Probably easier to just bend the new one a bit.

The model format changed a few times too seems like.
This is my thought

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You're also supposed to get vague "additional rewards" for doing stuff in World PVP mode.

Expansion launch is going to be a hilarious scrum if the additional awards include a +10%-20% exp modifier or something.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You're also supposed to get vague "additional rewards" for doing stuff in World PVP mode.

Expansion launch is going to be a hilarious scrum if the additional awards include a +10%-20% exp modifier or something.

Well depends. Right now most people are on major servers with like 95/5 or similar active pops faction balance. It's just going to be free bonuses for those supermajority factions UNLESS they purposefully rebalance server sharts to get closer to 50/50.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I don't expect it to be a Vanilla reboot. I wouldn't be surprised if raids were re-tuned for > 40 man.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
While im unsure if i will play, i am excited to do vanilla all over again with a system that will allow me to actually see the combat as its actually happening and not with the constant time skips!

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Classic WoW, that was carefully making sure the #1 player on your ladder also got the most honor, else he'd get demoted, no matter how much honor he made.

That was when you had to grind a flask, a potion and an elixir for every single attempt at a boss.

That was when you had to grind fire resist gear from dark iron armor, followed by poison resist gear in Maraudon for AQ, followed by frost resist gear for Nax?

What other lovely features will this bring back?

From my experience on emulated servers, most of this stuff wasn't handled in the old way by guilds / raid groups. Without deadweights you can raid MC with half of your raid made by feral druids and still get kills easily. The playerbase knowledge and capacity to play, makes old content piss easy for even LFR raiders of today. I bet the API stays the same, so Classic versions of DBM / Bigwigs to help those without a opposable thumb and better raid frames and raid tools (not that they are needed). I mean... mages spammed frostbolt and nothing else for 2 raid tiers, it can't get easier than that, it's one fucking button and if you get one, a single trinket to handle. You had so many mechanics... like a single one per boss, usually on a long timer.
Vanilla is piss easy, compared to modern, the challenge is coordinating large groups, but no, even on emu servers, stuff just dies quite easily.
As I said, if they want they could correct a few things to make classic not totally vanilla-like, but 99,99% equal and add a 30 min duration on paladin buffs (group version that came out later on), increase the debuff limit (which killed warlocks, shadow, warriors dot, etc.) and fix a few other things here and there, to help having a more fair ditribution of classes at 60 and have a healthier environment.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
They've switched the kind of source control they use at least once since then, but sometimes you can keep history intact when doing that.

There was this rumour going around when Blizzard first implemented integrated voice chat (which was around BC) that the patch was delayed because the required major changes to the sound system somehow were buggy, but they couldn't revert those changes individually to push the remaining parts of the patch out, because they had no "real" source control system for the WoW client code.

Also, source control is only part of the problem. The other part is the world data and assets that are needed for the client and server, and my guess is that those parts weren't in any kind of source control system to begin with. Legacy software also tends to "rot" because most companies have no real software configuration management processes in place. Because not only do you need the source code, you also need the old compilers, libraries, build systems (and ideally operating system) in place to build the old executable as it was then.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I’d bet a lot of old assets are just straight up gone as well that would have to be remade. I’d asked someone a while back if they still had the source pic for the icon for the original serpent flesh art from TBC (the dick looking thing in my avatar). It was just straight up overwritten apparently. The same is probably true for older art/models that might have gotten upgraded or pruned over the years.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
That's all a bunch of bullshit because all of this stuff is on a ton of emu servers all of which are more than willing to hand that stuff over

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The original Defias Pillagers were actually controlled by a server blade inhabited by hitler's ghost, so that's a little hard to recreate properly.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users