World of Warcraft: Classic

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They wouldn't have to do anything from scratch, not right away at least. They could split the time line at any particular expansion or expansions and use all of the zones, items, models, animations and the like as a starting point - something akin to The Legend of Zelda and then the second version of the game you gain access to after beating it the first time. It's familiar but everything's been moved around. You could, for example, steal all the neat little bits of Warlords of Draenor and mush them together with bits of The Burning Crusade and tell an entirely different story.
Don't remember if I ever posted it, but the way I'd have done is that Classic 2.0 would be "The Shores of Northrend".

You keep everything Vanilla-styled: you keep skill trees (just add dual spec switches), you keep skills, you retain +% stats rather than shit "ratings", etc, etc. The whole Vanilla gameplay, with just a bit of numerical balancing (and solving Rage starvation for warriors).
You don't: add flying, phasing, add multiple difficulty levels, new races, new classes OR DAILIES. You'd probably have the dwarves and taurens exchanging tips on shamanism and paladinhood (to bring a useful balance). No 10/25 versions of raids. You have 25-man raids, period. And maybe one 10-man or two.

You do need to revamp a bit the story and change spawns on a lot of the continent:
  • Icecrown doesn't work well without coldweather flying or phasing (mainly the skyships)
  • Some storylines don't work well without phasing (notably: you have to abandon the wrathgate as it is. Bolvar lives!)
  • Naxxaramas has to be removed - you can't fly to the entrance, and there's no reason why you have that as your first raid when you just finished it. Probably need to be replaced with a Nerubian Temple at that location which is the underground first raid.
  • Dalaran doesn't work as a capital - you can't fly around, and if you follow vanilla, there shouldn't be any major neutral capital (the only neutral faction being the goblins, who have a minor presence overall in the world)
  • I'd make the level 60-75 rather than 60-70: it aligns better with crafting skills (cleaner design), gives you more time to grow, and with the layering tech, you can afford to abandon the dual starting zone (in theory, you shouldn't have the massive server overload, since it's not the launch of classic, it's expansion stuff)
  • You simplify the factions: 1 alliance/horde faction, 1 allied race for each, 1 pvp faction for each, keep the Sons of Hodir and the Dragonflights, reuse the Argent Dawn instead of switching to some stupid Argent Crusade. You don't have renegade DKs running around anyway, so the Ebon shit is gone. Besides, without flying, their "neutral" HQ doesn't make sense either.
  • Given that you don't do dailies, you can abandon the Argent Tournament. Which is ok - you can reuse the various Coliseum fights (both raid and dungeon) as pre-designed bits for the first raid instead.
  • By the same token, the stupid alternate factions in Sholazar basin should be abandoned as well. Revamp the whole shtick anyway (since the Nesingwary bit is also there for a "let's do dailies" bit)
  • You could probably revamp a bit more. For instance, use the dragonflight shrines as pieces of a full raid (with a single ID), so you'd raid Black, Red, Blue (which is where you should have the Nexus raid), and you probably need to add Green and a Bronze encounters. I'm sure there's some stuff that you can lift from Cata (which definitively would never happen) to paste there. This would make it a full-fledged raid that replaces the Coliseum one.
  • I'd also drop the stupid Blue Dragonflight Madness story. But that's me. With Dalaran gone, it's increasingly contrived anyway.
There. Done. You do have WotLK for Classic™, but with enough of new that you can enjoy the familiarity while discovering new stuff.

But it would still be a lot of work, even with most of the world geometry and dungeons untouched.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The Blue Dragonflight madness story was part of the lore long before WOTLK came out. Deathwing WTFpwned the blue dragonflight, driving Malygos insane as a result (Malygos was Deathwing's best friend). It's part of the reason blue dragons were super rare lore wise.

WOTLK just saw Malygos become more of a force in the game vs. him just staying in a cave like a hermit.

No new classes also stagnates a game. Even EQ1 added new classes. You also needed a "neutral" unifying factor in WOTLK, because 2 sides fighting each other = Lich King wins. It's just simple math: If 2 enemies keep fighting each other, then their shared enemy usually wins because they didn't waste resources weakening their enemy. You make the story more contrived if one side "can do it alone", because you're basically saying that side > the shared enemy + the regular rival enemy.

Also, in your envisioned alt-expansion, what does the player do? There are raids, pvp....what else? If I hate PVP and I either hate raiding or raiding literally it just 1 day out of my week, what am I doing in your expansion?

If the answer is "not much", then your company either has to make peace with people unsubbing until the next big content patch (which is the stance SE/Yoshi P have accepted with FFXIV), or you need to give people a reason to give your company money every month. I do agree there are better solutions than daily quests, but the point still stands on a content front.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My quality of life in Classic tremendously improved once Bagnon was released and I banged up a version of Genie to work with Classic to sort my bags for me automatically.
Any idea why Genie would stop working for some items in my bags? Have auto mode enabled, and I noticed a bunch of stuff in my bags it wouldn't touch, while other stuff it would move around? Almost like specific items got bugged?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Any idea why Genie would stop working for some items in my bags? Have auto mode enabled, and I noticed a bunch of stuff in my bags it wouldn't touch, while other stuff it would move around? Almost like specific items got bugged?
Genie is pretty buggy. A good old "/console reloadui" may already do the trick.

With that said, it could also be a configuration problem.
In the Genie options Genie -> Bags you can disable to sort certain inventory or bank bags:

genie1.jpg

Then you can get pretty esoteric with the ranking editor, e.g. to automatically sort your Hearthstone, Mining Pick and other stuff like Potions/Bandages to the last slots and keep it there.

What most likely happened: You toggled the config mode (Shift-Rightclick which is separate from the Ranking Editor) and added the item to the ignore list:

genie2.gif

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Looks like some group is DDOS'ing the servers due to Asmongold and Sodapoppin. Not sure what has transpired that they hate them so much to take down the entire network, maybe Asmongold didn't open his mouth on a video or something.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't blizzard sue and win against someone that did that before? Why one earth would someone do it again..

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My characters were missing for a while. Now they are showing but I cant log in. Good times.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Jesus - are there servers on fire today? What the hell is going on. I am getting so many issues trying to log in. 1 issue after another after another. Stuck loading into world at 70%. Error loading character list. Login servers are full. Error creating character. Disconnects. Totally black screens.

Yeah it simply won't load my character list on Stalagg. Nice. Edit: Finally loaded character list, but back to stuck at 70% loading into world again. Followed promptly by a disconnect to the account login screen.

So much for their plan of hoping enough people just quit after the first week huh?

Edit: Oh, DDOS? Sigh