World of Warcraft: Classic

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not entirely sure I buy the DDoS explanation, it doesn't feel like what I've experienced in the past where services are DDoS'd. I'd expect increasing lag / packetloss but instead everything is perfectly fine then boom disconnected.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
It's not a DDoS attack.
Every time I disconnect from it something in my UI gets reset.
First time it moved my frames around, not to default but to weird positions on the screen.
Secind time it disables all my hotbars and I had to renable them.
Last time it reset the font size in my chat windows and erased some of my macros.
Never had a DDoS do anything like that.
No idea what it is, but it's not a DDoS.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
This is fucking sweet, can't log into my 55 Shaman but I can log into a level 1 alt. Guess the game doesn't want me to play it. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your UI doesn't save when your client closes because of a crash or alt f4 etc

This. You have to make changes then log out and back in to save. If you make a change and get DC'd or leave game any other of means(just closing the window) it doesn't save your changes and resets to default. But I am sure skylancer is a IT expert and knows exactly what is or is not a ddos because of his UI.

And yes its behaving like every ddos I've had to deal with for games, there's been lag all weekend. Sometimes you don't DC from it, everything catches up but usually you do. It's pretty obvious as a hunter when it happens, my pet just sits in place as I run off.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
You can also type /reload once you have everything setup and it will force save your layout.

I hope this piece of shit DDoSing gets FBI'd, I died more times to that last night than actual PvP. The worst one is when you get desynced from the server and are receiving data but not sending it. So you get to stand there and watch a mob slowly melee you down while you can't do anything. At least with a straight up disconnect you can usually log back in fast enough to avoid dying.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's not a DDoS attack.
Every time I disconnect from it something in my UI gets reset.
First time it moved my frames around, not to default but to weird positions on the screen.
Secind time it disables all my hotbars and I had to renable them.
Last time it reset the font size in my chat windows and erased some of my macros.
Never had a DDoS do anything like that.
No idea what it is, but it's not a DDoS.

These are all client-side issues and stored locally.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I am well aware of all of that.
I had not changed my UI since day one of Classic, then the last two days with these disconnects it causing the UI resets.

So again this is not due to DDoS, it's something else.
No DDoS has ever caused any issues like this for any game I have ever played that has endured a DDoS.
If it was just lag and disconnects I would think it is, but the UI screw ups, nope it's not. Unless it's a new form of DDoS that I have never seen in 20 years of online games.

• 1Worf

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Two weeks in, every quest I go to in my 40s is being done by at least one other person and usually several. Queues still in the thousands. Server is so overpopulated it makes grinding WAY better than questing and makes me mad when I even attempt to quest after grinding for hours. This is on the least populated PvP server of the starting US servers (Fairbanks) and we've had a server move available for 3 days or 4 or whatever.

Blizzard fucked this up so hard. I could hardly believe they launched with so few servers. The longer they put off doing something about this, the worse it's going to get because people are establishing relationships and it gets harder and harder to move with time. They've temporarily increased capacity beyond what servers are supposed to be. I don't see how this isn't going to be a complete train wreck come layers turned off. Lots of people want to move but can't because of guilds or whatnot and the whole 'move at your own risk' stuff is so badly handled and unprepared; what with risking not having some friends move over, not getting your name, not moving all of your characters etc.

Blizzard foolishly thought 75% would quit and they allowed too many people on servers because they will harm the game to avoid ever doing any server merges because, oh gee it looks like the game is dying.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They need to just give up the removal of layering for phase two and take the servers up to their max technological capabilities. You can make the removal of layering a goal for the future but the value in setting that as a fixed event in phase two is a mistake. Frame it as a compliment. "We knew this would be big but we had no idea so many of you cared this much. Thank you. For now and for the foreseeable future we're taking capacity to its maximum with no set timetable for the removal of layering."

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LOL! So watching just a few minutes of Esfand's stream, and he's raiding MC as Prot Paladin, and his raid literally has 13 mages for DPS. I see no rogues, and very few warriors. Kind of a weird makeup, but I'm sure it'll work. He was saying that items were changed, and Mages can run 100+ spell power right now, and they could never get that high back in Vanilla?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They need to just give up the removal of layering for phase two and take the servers up to their max technological capabilities. You can make the removal of layering a goal for the future but the value in setting that as a fixed event in phase two is a mistake. Frame it as a compliment. "We knew this would be big but we had no idea so many of you cared this much. Thank you. For now and for the foreseeable future we're taking capacity to its maximum with no set timetable for the removal of layering."

The issue with this is that the game is not designed to have this sheer number of people on one server. Things are going to be crowded as fuck once everyone hits 60. The zones are small, and the content gets very focused location-wise in the endgame.

I just spent the last hour and a half doing 3 quests in Stonetalon because I couldn't avoid running into continuous alliance along the main path, resulting in 8 pvp battles within an hour, and several long-ass corpse runs. This was at 2-3AM EST. Vanilla release would have seen maybe a third of that number of encounters.

Classic is not going to have a scenario where everything works right capacity-wise.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Two weeks in, every quest I go to in my 40s is being done by at least one other person and usually several. Queues still in the thousands. Server is so overpopulated it makes grinding WAY better than questing and makes me mad when I even attempt to quest after grinding for hours. This is on the least populated PvP server of the starting US servers (Fairbanks) and we've had a server move available for 3 days or 4 or whatever.

Blizzard fucked this up so hard. I could hardly believe they launched with so few servers. The longer they put off doing something about this, the worse it's going to get because people are establishing relationships and it gets harder and harder to move with time. They've temporarily increased capacity beyond what servers are supposed to be. I don't see how this isn't going to be a complete train wreck come layers turned off. Lots of people want to move but can't because of guilds or whatnot and the whole 'move at your own risk' stuff is so badly handled and unprepared; what with risking not having some friends move over, not getting your name, not moving all of your characters etc.

Blizzard foolishly thought 75% would quit and they allowed too many people on servers because they will harm the game to avoid ever doing any server merges because, oh gee it looks like the game is dying.

Just pretend it's EQ and it takes 3 days to gain a level.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Apparently SMOrc has been busy.

smorc1.png

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
God I missed those Capital City raids. Used to be at least one every few days back in the day. Haddn't seen a raid in years by the time I quit just before BfA.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Harvest Festival on, get your free 2% food & drink and horn that summons food.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think blizzard and activision know exactly what they are doing, they want to invest the least amount possible into this cash cow for a very welcome high profit income. The customer is patient and can wait in queue a few hours