World of Warcraft: Classic

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There is a term called "technical debt" for it.
I've always loved that term.

Well, I did not when Y2K rolled out, and my favorite restaurant's chef found out that there was more money to be made by polishing COBOL turds developed 20 years before when he was younger as opposed to making some of the best french cuisine around. But in the abstract... I love that term.

It used to be a bit less applicable to computer gaming because, up until you got Everquest and World of Warcraft and the like, nobody played the same game forever. The incentive was there to make a new game, if only for marketing purposes (you make a game, 2-3 expansion DLC, then you announce a new shiny).

Now? Same thing.
  • There is some really fucked up code out there made by people that couldn't give a damn except for their paycheck. I have seen a fair share of it. Some of it runs in a low level protocol driver for MRI machines.
My guilty pleasure is The Daily WTF: Curious Perversions in Information Technology

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
If you have ever worked in any large organization that uses "legacy software", you will find that you are never able to afford the redesign of your software. The only major redesigns are always in commodity software - that is, software that is used by multiple customers. For internally-developed software, you patch, but you never redesign. If your software slows to a crawl, throwing hardware at it will cost you less than rewriting it from scratch, which is what would be the real solution.

I know, I've been fighting this battle for 6 years now. We are using an ERP that was written specifically for us in 2002. Maintaining it costs the IT department 20% of its entire budget.

Replacing it would require 3 years and the entire IT budget for more than a year. So, we buy more octocore processor boards and larger raid arrays, and the ERP chugs along.

And this happens in pretty much any company, until something really breaks.

Those emus wrote their software from scratch, with different constraints than the architecture developped by Blizzard over fifteen years. I am not surprised they literally cannot redo it. Almost no company can. I am always astonished they even managed to create micro-instancing (which is probably a kludge that would make an engineer cry in horror if he saw the actual code, and probably cost a lot in terms of overall performance).

Even if you used the same amount of hardware as in 2005, the difference in the speed of the hardware should be enough now that hardware isn't the issue running this.

Guarantee you this is some database-access-driven bottleneck or hard-limit coded bottleneck in the software that could be found and killed, but they are too lazy or stupid to invest the time to do so.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
It's quite clear that whoever is behind classic doesn't give a shit about it. It's about ego and they refuse to acknowledge that the direction they took their game was negative in many ways so they're just trying to go with the flow, do the bare minimum so they can at some point say "I told you that it wasn't as good as you imagined".

That's the only explanation for all the shit mishaps they've done since this launched since just about every problem had an obvious and easy solution (that many private servers adopted anyway).
Even now, many servers are being destroyed to the ground despite the fact that there's an easy fucking solution in SHUTTING OFF TRANSFERS TO FULL SERVERS.

I am on Herod and I already see ques on our server going up in the last week. It was 2 hours last night on a fucking thursday and I suspect it's going to get worse. I have no intention of transferring servers unless my guild does it which I know they won't. So I'll probably quit and stop giving them subscription money all so that some pussy named Ion with a small fuckign dick can protect his ego. Hope he gets cancers.

If you wondered about why the ques are long, here's an additonal EASY TO FUCKING FIX factor.

• 1Like
  • 1Ding!
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

UPDATED APRIL 10 – 9:15 a.m. PDT
At 10:00 a.m. PDT today, we will disable Free Character Moves for Horde characters from the Incendius realm. Free Character Moves from Incendius will remain available to Alliance characters. We will also disable Paid Character Transfers to Incendius, Faerlina, and Whitemane at the same time.

• 3Like
  • 2Blown
Reactions: 4 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Common sense finally comes through. Can you imagine if they were forward thinking enough to do that shit from the start? Maybe enough people started to cancel and Bobby Kotick heard he was losing out on his free money train due to Ions incompetence.

• 2Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
they only temporarily banned transfers to full servers. i'm sure itll be activated again long before the queue's reside.

• 1Worf
  • 1Fal'len

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Didn't the private servers have like 18k on concurrently at some point? It's too bad blizz can't afford to hire people that care about their products.
I don't believe Nost ever hit 18k concurrent except possibly on the shutdown night? Typical concurrent pop during primetime was 10-12k. In any case, if you actually played there you would know the extreme sacrifices to draw distance and latency they made in order to accommodate that pop. Retail wow players would absolutely revolt if draw distance on Classic servers was dropped to 40 yards and everyone had 100ms latency minimum (and rightfully so, since it made regular open world gameplay suck ass, let alone trying to pvp).

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Nostalrius was 5 years ago. The last big pserver (LH Northdale) had higher concurrent and no queues even on launch. Other technical issues were at least transient instead of built-in a la leeway and spell batching.

emu.jpg

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Guarantee you this is some database-access-driven bottleneck or hard-limit coded bottleneck in the software that could be found and killed, but they are too lazy or stupid to invest the time to do so.
Most likely the bottleneck is in their tools/backend for logging and gathering data, which boils down to the analytics reports the beancounters demand.

I guess it was designed with layering/phasing in mind and breaks down with lots of players on a single zone they can't reshuffle into phases, but at the same time they are forced to use the retail tools and can't roll their own.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Got booted and came back to the queue. No 46 today I guess.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Nostalrius was 5 years ago. The last big pserver (LH Northdale) had higher concurrent and no queues even on launch. Other technical issues were at least transient instead of built-in a la leeway and spell batching.

View attachment 261682
Got any evidence of LH having more concurrent players than Nost? I played/raided on both and afaik Nost had more players even counting all the asian bots on LH.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Most likely the bottleneck is in their tools/backend for logging and gathering data, which boils down to the analytics reports the beancounters demand.

I guess it was designed with layering/phasing in mind and breaks down with lots of players on a single zone they can't reshuffle into phases, but at the same time they are forced to use the retail tools and can't roll their own.

I don't know what kind of database they use but couldn't any data logging/gathering be done from a second/non-live app server? Why would that be done on the live server?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know what kind of database they use but couldn't any data logging/gathering be done from a second/non-live app server? Why would that be done on the live server?
This depends on the importance of data. If you can't lose that data (e.g. you need it not only for nifty stats and live monitoring, but it for rollbacks and/or hacking/fraud detection) it needs to be somewhat transaction based. In that case if the backend is congested the sender side will come to a halt, too.

xzi

Mouthbreather
ngl I've been wanting to play more recently but every time I log in it's a 1.5-2k queue and I just play something else

I understand if I get kicked from the guild for being a CASUAL

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'd actually play lmao, the economy is already completely ran by unbanned bots so whatever

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly if they aren't running in a cloud with offloading the static content to highly scalable read copies of the databases and leveraging something like Aurora they are massive retards of the highest order.