World of Warcraft: Classic

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
What was the new news?
must be something about WoW sub numbers. They just dropped a new pet/mount pack in exchange for a 12 month sub, with mounts for WoW Classic. Retail of course is dead as shit, Dragonflight has been 50%/free since that shit launched it has never not been on sale and still can't move boxes.

The new annual WoW subscription is being advertised as:

Includes access to WoTLK Classic!
Vanilla Classic!
Hardcore Classic!
and retail wow....

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
must be something about WoW sub numbers. They just dropped a new pet/mount pack in exchange for a 12 month sub, with mounts for WoW Classic. Retail of course is dead as shit, Dragonflight has been 50%/free since that shit launched it has never not been on sale and still can't move boxes.

The new annual WoW subscription is being advertised as:

Includes access to WoTLK Classic!
Vanilla Classic!
Hardcore Classic!
and retail wow....
While subs are still probably good in comparison to other games... Blizzfucks needs a fresh new game with new (non shit) ideas

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They give out so much free shit through Amazon Prime and Twitch. Still doesnt make me want to resub.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
What was the new news?
For the last however many months I’ve been playing with HC Elite. First on Bloodsail Buccaneers on unofficial HC, and now on official.

I’ve been in their main raid team pushing Naxx/AQ40. We’ve done all of MC, BWL, AQ40, and 10/15 Naxx. We have about 400 people who raid in some capacity, mostly ZG/AQ20.

On Monday, we took about half the main raid team and about 100 others to create a new guild called Purpose, focused on progression. Some juicy drama there but I’ll spare you.

Unless you are pushing progression you probably wouldn’t care, but it has been a big and exciting move for us. Discord.gg/purpose if you’re curious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Creating a completely new expansion for wow classic would be an good business move imo - two separate timeline from the same game, even the Sims didn't do it.
wishful thinking though, no way they would create anything

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
For the last however many months I’ve been playing with HC Elite. First on Bloodsail Buccaneers on unofficial HC, and now on official.

I’ve been in their main raid team pushing Naxx/AQ40. We’ve done all of MC, BWL, AQ40, and 10/15 Naxx. We have about 400 people who raid in some capacity, mostly ZG/AQ20.

On Monday, we took about half the main raid team and about 100 others to create a new guild called Purpose, focused on progression. Some juicy drama there but I’ll spare you.

Unless you are pushing progression you probably wouldn’t care, but it has been a big and exciting move for us. Discord.gg/purpose if you’re curious.
wow this is really exciting news thank you for the inside scoop

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Creating a completely new expansion for wow classic would be an good business move imo - two separate timeline from the same game, even the Sims didn't do it.
wishful thinking though, no way they would create anything
They would also need to break from their design strategy a lot. The expansion of Classic+ needs to not invalidate everything that came before it.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They would also need to break from their design strategy a lot. The expansion of Classic+ needs to not invalidate everything that came before it.
I don't think that's necessarily true, I think it's more a pacing thing but it is an intractable problem with legacy WoW design cycles. It is some combination of raid tier/seasonal resets plus expansion hard resets plus uninspired boring loot design that only has microscopic +gooder.

They could alter that for classic plus, but it would be risky and as everyone says Blizzard simply is not into risk taking anymore.

My ideal classic plus would be something along the lines of hardcore + Halls of Torment meta systems (acct gear unlock, xp bonus from quests) + continual content updates but no "expansions" to not outright invalidate any content.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't think that's necessarily true, I think it's more a pacing thing but it is an intractable problem with legacy WoW design cycles. It is some combination of raid tier/seasonal resets plus expansion hard resets plus uninspired boring loot design that only has microscopic +gooder.

They could alter that for classic plus, but it would be risky and as everyone says Blizzard simply is not into risk taking anymore.

My ideal classic plus would be something along the lines of hardcore + Halls of Torment meta systems (acct gear unlock, xp bonus from quests) + continual content updates but no "expansions" to not outright invalidate any content.
Arguably the even bigger problem is that all of Blizzard expansions turns the previous locations into deadzones. So your massive world of a game becomes just the dozen zones of the expansion. This is even worse than the gear resets.

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Make it Emerald Dream based - character (or account) can only spend so much time in ED before they're corrupted. This means you can only spend 3-4 hours/day in ED and need to access the original classic zones to "reset" or do anything outside of ED during the off time. Would force people to continue doing the overworld content while staying within the first expansion.

Edit: maybe bosses from old world dungeons give "tethers" to the real world that allow you an hour a day extra in the ED.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Post the damn juice

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Make it Emerald Dream based - character (or account) can only spend so much time in ED before they're corrupted. This means you can only spend 3-4 hours/day in ED and need to access the original classic zones to "reset" or do anything outside of ED during the off time. Would force people to continue doing the overworld content while staying within the first expansion.

Edit: maybe bosses from old world dungeons give "tethers" to the real world that allow you an hour a day extra in the ED.
Sounds like the "Maw" and I fucking hated that place and I was one of the first people in the guild with a mount to traverse the fucking place. Palum Palum hit the nail on the head - its too much of a risk for Blizzard. They inherently have no idea what works and what doesnt work in a "Classic+" kind of world. It takes them years to mull over a decision within Classic that would be a fundamental change. We've seen it with the "mythic+" reversions of the old dungeons in classic and from what I heard, they turned out to be a good addition in how they work. But then you have the complete opposite side in the decision making process - if it makes the company money, fuck what the players say, its going in.

I'll be extremely impressed if we indeed got an expansion for Classic - but there is no way in hell that the average age of their team being something like 23, will be able to nail the classic experience within it.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Oh I have absolutely no hope for Classic+ to happen. I did hit 56 last night on HC and ran a full BRD with an under 60 group. Emperor was definitely a rush.... he can hit pretty fucking hard. Lost HoJ roll to the 59 warrior - he deserved it. Will be wanting to get some 60 dungeons in soon if Zapan Zapan wants to bring the undergeared rogue to get some new toys~!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like the "Maw" and I fucking hated that place and I was one of the first people in the guild with a mount to traverse the fucking place. Palum Palum hit the nail on the head - its too much of a risk for Blizzard. They inherently have no idea what works and what doesnt work in a "Classic+" kind of world. It takes them years to mull over a decision within Classic that would be a fundamental change. We've seen it with the "mythic+" reversions of the old dungeons in classic and from what I heard, they turned out to be a good addition in how they work. But then you have the complete opposite side in the decision making process - if it makes the company money, fuck what the players say, its going in.

I'll be extremely impressed if we indeed got an expansion for Classic - but there is no way in hell that the average age of their team being something like 23, will be able to nail the classic experience within it.
There is one thing I do find funny after reading that WOW dev diary. The original team did not give a shit about story really and they all understood that the MMORPG genre and games in general were not the medium to give the players a compelling story. Quest chains and whatnot were all first draft final draft as they only focused on the experience.

Gradually as WOTLK and other expansions came along they somehow became more single player story focused and why its a bigger deal in the game's development than it used to be.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Arguably the even bigger problem is that all of Blizzard expansions turns the previous locations into deadzones. So your massive world of a game becomes just the dozen zones of the expansion. This is even worse than the gear resets.
That's a game design problem, no expansion / patch or such will change this. You can force the player to go back in old zone, but it will not be fun.
An alternate path to wow classic (or wotlk classic) wouldn't require much game design change : just reuse new talents / new stuff from Cataclysm, but with new zones. That would work (maybe only once) and even draw old players who didnt play classic. So that's half risk for a full reward.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You know I get a lot of people would love a Classic+ expansion and shit, but the issue isn't adding on to classic. The issue would be the team doing it, nobody at this fucking company plays games or even know how they work.

You will end up with some Defias Brotherhood zone where some ass clown is trying to buttfuck another ass clown so they can sodomize babies in Stormwind or some shit. For some unknown reason Onyxia is a fat sassy black bitch and the king of Stormwind is inexplicably disabled in a battle wheelchair.

It isn't that Classic+ wouldn't be cool to explore, it's just nobody at this company is someone I'd want exploring that shit.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All the people that knew what made classic work have long left the building, we saw that with the first Season of Mastery server. Only nu-Blizzard could take classic and go "this would be better if it had harder raids so it's more like retail". They're the proverbial hammer that only knows one solution to everything and that is make it more twitchy and raid focused.

Best case scenario, it's going to be the WoW version of EQ TLPs where you do Classic-WotLK again and again with some minor rule changes here and there. I'd like to think they hired Holly Longdale to help them do just that but I wouldn't put it past nu-Blizzard to take her years of experience and then ignore it because some 25 year old know-it-alls think they know better.

• 1Like

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
You know I get a lot of people would love a Classic+ expansion and shit, but the issue isn't adding on to classic. The issue would be the team doing it, nobody at this fucking company plays games or even know how they work.

This.

I was in disc last night with a bunch of guys ruminating on the potential C+ announcement and basically repeated this.

They won't care to dig deep with the true nature of what it means.

At best they'll look over at Turtlewow, but probably not.

Hire BoozeCube BoozeCube and Jasker Jasker Blizzard.

We'll do the things necessary to make a great and memorable product.

• 1Like