World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Not sure which groups you're in in dungeon/raid finders, but those I'm in regularly have 0 communication and people leave immediately at the end of the run without a word said. Maybe you're just That Damn Awesome, Khane, and everybody wants to talk to you. Anecdotally, for me, DF/RF are a means to get to the end of the run. They have nothing to do with social contact whatsoever and they don't lead to friends. They lead to loot and scoot, unless you make a concerted effort to drag people into a conversation, which not everyone (read: most people I've DF'd with) will engage in.

Part of the reason for this is the nature of repeated (repeated, repeated) M/M+ runs. There is no need for communication as far as the execution of the run goes other than an occasional "ready? r. r. r. r." and that's about it.

I have seen Method, Serenity, etc. discussed exactly 0 times in-game outside of guild chat. There is plenty of scuttlebutt on forums and other sites, but out of game discussion is irrelevant to this point. Again, not sure where you're going with this. My only knowledge of who's on top on various servers is from wowprogress, and that's not through contact on the server. That's not community.

Just more blather from a guy who absolutely always has to be the center of attention. Do you ever read what you write?

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
I think you're missing the point. X realm is not the reason you're just a drop in the sea in WoW. The size of the population is. This isn't new. It's been that way since vanilla, long before xrealm was a thing.

The only reason people had a reputation and you knew of them in EQ was because there was like 2000 people per server. Not because you had to use channels to shout for groups

EDIT: And yes, I do think the community is fine.
Server cap in vanilla was right around 2k

xzi

Mouthbreather
I kind of feel like Mythic + advocates not talking to your group even more than was the case before. Gotta go fast, etc. Not that I really care but just an observation.

Although I feel like in terms of player recognition and server recognition and all that, I'll have to disagree when it comes to vanilla. I knew everybody on my server whether they were horde or alliance or whether they were one of the guilds competing against us for server firsts or just a small friends and family guild. It kind of still existed in TBC but after that it went away for me. Of course I know the top guilds and even some top guilds on other servers, but just in general on Hyjal? fuckin nope.

I don't find anything wrong with that either though, there's a shitload of people playing the game it's to be expected. Although I am kind of nostalgic for people sucking me off just because I was the only druid with Tier 3 on our server.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Server cap in vanilla was right around 2k

No, it wasn't.

US Realm Stats - WarcraftRealms.com

If you guys knew more people back then it was probably because you were paying more attention to it. The cross realm grouping tool should have no bearing on who you do or do not know.

We just play on Battlegroups now rather than servers and you probably don't care about it as much either.

I used to read the official server forums constantly, had a window up on my second monitor pretty much all day. I knew a lot more of the people on my server back then because of their posting habits on my server's official forum. Now? Can't be bothered. I used to also spend a ton of time on EJ. Now the only interraction I have with people from WoW outside of the game itself is on the class Discord channels and that's very rare. If I know of less people now it's because I've stopped being as active in the community, not because the community isn't there due a Cross Realm feature.

The argument that these tools take away from player interraction never made much sense to me. It's like saying online dating sites make it harder to find dates and meet new people.

Last edited:

Khane

Not sure which groups you're in in dungeon/raid finders, but those I'm in regularly have 0 communication and people leave immediately at the end of the run without a word said. Maybe you're just That Damn Awesome, Khane, and everybody wants to talk to you. Anecdotally, for me, DF/RF are a means to get to the end of the run. They have nothing to do with social contact whatsoever and they don't lead to friends. They lead to loot and scoot, unless you make a concerted effort to drag people into a conversation, which not everyone (read: most people I've DF'd with) will engage in.

Part of the reason for this is the nature of repeated (repeated, repeated) M/M+ runs. There is no need for communication as far as the execution of the run goes other than an occasional "ready? r. r. r. r." and that's about it.

I have seen Method, Serenity, etc. discussed exactly 0 times in-game outside of guild chat. There is plenty of scuttlebutt on forums and other sites, but out of game discussion is irrelevant to this point. Again, not sure where you're going with this. My only knowledge of who's on top on various servers is from wowprogress, and that's not through contact on the server. That's not community.

Just more blather from a guy who absolutely always has to be the center of attention. Do you ever read what you write?

No Alkorin. I take the time to talk to them. I take the time to see if the players I just had a good run with want to do shit in the future. You read what I write as if I'm saying everyone wants to get to know me and trips over themselves trying to get on my friends list. No. I add them, not the other way around. You've admitted in your own post you take no time whatsoever to try to make new friends. Well no shit you don't know as many people now.

All the people I hear complaining about this are people who never take the time to actually interract. Are you expecting everyone to do it for you? The cross realm feature has no bearing on whether you decide to be a mute or not, that's entirely on you.

Ask a teenager who plays WoW how many people they know. The list will be absolutely huge because they do things we don't. Like watch Twitch streams all day long. We are all older now and don't really care about that shit anymore. We're the crotchety old WoW geezer next door.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know anyone on the server besides the guild. My friends list is about 200 deep from here, other forums, and people I've met in game. I do pug stuff just because of my odd hours and honestly have had more successes than failures with that , can't remember meeting people I disliked for a long time now.

Might occasionally get that dude in your group that isn't a rockstar or fails a mechanic but I try to remember not everyone knows 100% of every dungeon or raids or theorycrafts. These people are almost always good people.

In pug dungeons I usually don't talk much but that's because I always tank and I'm setting the pace. For guild M+ even on higher levels were always in disc shooting the shit.

I'm rambling now. I do miss the server community from back in the day. You knew which guilds were hot shit and we always competed for world bosses (dragons, kazzak). Now it's a bit nebulous.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
No, it wasn't.

US Realm Stats - WarcraftRealms.com

If you guys knew more people back then it was probably because you were paying more attention to it. The cross realm grouping tool should have no bearing on who you do or do not know.

We just play on Battlegroups now rather than servers and you probably don't care about it as much either.

I used to read the official server forums constantly, had a window up on my second monitor pretty much all day. I knew a lot more of the people on my server back then because of their posting habits on my server's official forum. Now? Can't be bothered. I used to also spend a ton of time on EJ. Now the only interraction I have with people from WoW outside of the game itself is on the class Discord channels and that's very rare. If I know of less people now it's because I've stopped being as active in the community, not because the community isn't there due a Cross Realm feature.

The argument that these tools take away from player interraction never made much sense to me. It's like saying online dating sites make it harder to find dates and meet new people.
That's total characters, I meant online at any given time. Although now I'm second guessing myself and think 2k might have been average pop, and 6k was high end cap before queue.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
I don't know anyone on the server besides the guild. My friends list is about 200 deep from here, other forums, and people I've met in game. I do pug stuff just because of my odd hours and honestly have had more successes than failures with that , can't remember meeting people I disliked for a long time now.

Might occasionally get that dude in your group that isn't a rockstar or fails a mechanic but I try to remember not everyone knows 100% of every dungeon or raids or theorycrafts. These people are almost always good people.

In pug dungeons I usually don't talk much but that's because I always tank and I'm setting the pace. For guild M+ even on higher levels were always in disc shooting the shit.

I'm rambling now. I do miss the server community from back in the day. You knew which guilds were hot shit and we always competed for world bosses (dragons, kazzak). Now it's a bit nebulous.
Double post meh, come play vanilla. Community is retarded but you know everyone after like 2 weeks

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Archaeology sucks in Legion cause you spend half your time fighting mobs due to the scaling shit. It was more fun when you could avoid/one-shot mobs while digging.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Im just waiting for them to release flying before I get into Archeology in Legion.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
EDIT: And yes, I do think the community is fine.

We disagree completely. I scratch my head at the dumb shit these guys do every day. I've never seen this level of asinine communication in an MMO.

Last edited:

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just hit 110 on my Monk this afternoon and pulled the Touch of Death gloves out of my third emissary cache.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just remember the Khane telling you that the WoW community is great is the same person that thinks Tinder is the pinnacle of human interpersonal relationships.