World of Warcraft: Current Year

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are never going to be capable of fixing the underlying problem. There are too many widely incompetent class devs to ever achieve stat balance. Now that +hit is gone reforging would be easy but it isn't coming back so this is all moot.

Ion actually likes reforging. According to him, he argued for keeping it in when they debated and ultimately removed it. What he hates is alts. Worst alt expenasjon ever. First 2 legendaries both shit? Grats on switching to a different alt.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm fully expecting artifact armor this next expac
Trinket. Since everyone is always complaining about not having the right trinket (when they're not complaining about their legendaries, that is), it makes sense to have the Artefact Trinket.

Which of course means it's not going to happen.

Rime

<Donor>
I would be very shocked if they did not have at least some sort of Artifact system in the next expansion.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
As a super duper bad ultra casual player, the worst thing about this expansion is that I have no fucking clue what gear to equip. I get an item that is a little higher ilvl than what I have currently. Should I use it? What secondary stats are most important for my class? At what % do I stop stacking a certain secondary stat and switch to another? I have to go and look this shit up to figure out what I need to wear. This is no different than MoP reforging where you ran Mr. Robot to figure out the best reforging.

I don't like requiring websites and mods to play a game moderately effectively. I have no problem with people using that stuff to optimize their play, but as it currently stands if you just go with the general higher ilvl like most casuals would, it seems like it can completely gimp your character.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you are, as you say, super duper ultra casual, just use ilvl. Yes, it can gimp your character, but only inasmuch as you won't perform like someone who raids at the higher end. Do you care about raiding at the high end? No? Then just do whatever.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
That's exactly what I do, because I can't be bothered to jump through all the hoops when it doesn't really matter. It's just frustrating that they make it such a chore if I actually want to improve my character's power. It doesn't make any sense to me that an item with higher item level would actually lower my character's power.

I get what you're saying but how is that any different than every MMO since the dawn of time

I don't think it was this complicated before. In Vanilla and TBC at least, I remember that if I did a more challenging dungeon/raid and got an item, I could pretty much guarantee it was an upgrade over an item from a previous raid/dungeon.

Then again I'm a bad so I might be wrong.
[bcolor=rgb(240, 240, 240)][/bcolor]

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's because they went too crazy with secondary stats. All you really need to know is stat breakpoints. For instance on monk I want 14.3% or whatever haste, then crit and mastery

Palum

what Suineg set it to
With reforging they threw out the baby with the bath water. Reforging (as it was prior to being removed from the game) was objectively a shitty system. If you were a raider you used a site or a mod to automate your decision making on how to reforge your gear. If you were a casual you likely ignored it or didn't use it optimally.

While reforging did serve to make a suboptimal item more optimal, the number of actions needed before equipping a given item was way too high (enchanting, gemming, tradeskill mods, + ilevel valor upgrades, etc).

That being said, reforging could certainly be redesigned to potentially make it more interesting and engaging. But I think simply bringing it back without any changes would be a mistake. They'd be better served to address the root cause of the problem (itemization and stat weight diversity) than slapping a bandaid (reforging) over it and continuing to have the same uninteresting/boring item problem.

The thing is reforging could have been accomplished with gem slots or regular crafting already in the game. It's really a duplicate system. If , for example, you have 100 crit 100 haste instead of allowing you to "reforge" 25 of either into something else, make it 75/75 and have two 25 stat gem slots.

• 1Like

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
Actually cheese is 100% right. Gearing in this expansion is way to complicated. Back in bc, it was hit to cap and the required numbers where in the tool tip then for casters it was basically spell damage over everything else. Which each tier just gave straight more of then the previous tier so figuring out upgrades was a joke. Now a days a 10 ilvl upgrade can actually severely nerf your class. On top of that your rotation can actually feel like absolute garbage if your not at certain break points. (Shadow priests with very low lvl of haste for example) it's insane that you actually need a 3rd party program (sims) to figure out upgrades.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. It's really "interesting" having a "choice" about what gear to equip.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm back since a while and I'm just collecting class mounts to pass time, hoping that this abortion of gearing system is going out of this game, passing by the toilet, possibly with the dev that conceived it.
Most classes, I should say specs are fairly basic to play nowadays, with a few outliers, but if you are not getting good legendaries and lucky procs of titanforging, you suck sweaty balls and there is nothing to do about it.
I don't know who thought this was Diablo 4. Maybe I should go play another MMO at this point, but I'm too attached to all my 12 characters now.

Oh, hi guys, long time no see :D

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Meh, after getting back in the game last week I have simply been playing ilvl catchup to unlock heroics and raids. Just got 835. So it's still chasing ilvls for me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My warlock is only 862ish so I'm still doing ilvl catch up too. There's kind of a void here where you can gear up in LFR but really you need normal tos

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm of the mindset that the warlock is the perfect class when it comes to gear (Destro). More Mastery, higher hitting Chaos Bolts but less of them. More Crit, Slightly harder hitting Chaos Bolts and a bit more of them. More Haste? Way more Chaos Bolts but weaker hitting ones. I mean, I can't imagine that this could happen across all the specs. I know Blizzard didn't intend this, they just happened to fumble their way into it. Also the leggos on warlock. The best 2 legos compared to the worst 2 legos is only about 100-150k difference at 930 ilvl.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I get what you're saying but how is that any different than every MMO since the dawn of time

Diablo has a few (not many!) stats that show that a stat starts being useless at a certain point. For example: move speed is pretty much capped at 25% and they tell you this when scrolling over the stat itself. But I can't see them putting that effort in for every class/spec stat weights in WoW.