World of Warcraft: Current Year

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So I am killing a named on Argus for a World quest because I needed Argunite. It dies and I got a Legendary Cloak for it. I was in no way aware that World quest mobs could give out legendaries. That was a surprise.
I haven't played since May, but named spawns (both the old style single time rewards and newer daily rewards) have a chance to drop legendaries and build BLP.

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Got Varimathras down tonight , but Coven is just a cancerous fight. We're only taking 3 melee for progress and stacking loads of range. I guess it's a good thing I have a hunter alt I can use because fuck being melee on that fight, especially on mythic.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Got Varimathras down tonight , but Coven is just a cancerous fight. We're only taking 3 melee for progress and stacking loads of range. I guess it's a good thing I have a hunter alt I can use because fuck being melee on that fight, especially on mythic.
Is there a fight that is melee friendly in a raid?

(the asymmetry between range that can go melee and keep casting and melee that can't go at range means it will never happen)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
High interrupt-requirement encounters, if only for the faster melee interrupt refresh.

There have also been periods in wow's history where melee cleave was intentionally tuned higher than ranged AOE, so that melee would be favored on prolonged add phases.

High movement-requirement fights, during the periods of design where Ranged DPS have shitty mobility.

High raidwide Physical damage slightly favors melee due to generally superior physical mitigation.

Then there are Rogues, who are melee but who are Immune To The Game so it works out for em :)

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think the pod boss is more melee friendly but I'm mostly talking out my ass. The guys constantly charging and whirlwinding me piss me off.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I played ret only once during this raid and found every single fight to be melee friendly except bridge boy. Portal is a little annoying but dealable. I'm also in melee as holy so there's that too.

Needless

Toe Sucker
that's the last boss of the expansion? that was lame as hell lmao

i mean it looked chaotic as an encounter, but as a boss.. that was incredibly underwhelming.

Needless

Toe Sucker
7.4 — sargeras uproots from the planet bearing a fel-pulsing illidan for a cock, ready to ream the Vindicaar

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Fight is definitely undertuned on Norm/Heroic.

Mythic there is actually a lot going on to coordinate but it looks easy when Method does it, there are the balls that are spawning and drifting toward the boss, the soft enrage with the gaze of sargeras, the dps check for the orbs and the scythe shenanigans. if they go one more round the tanks will start getting gaze (guessing from my outside perspective) and thats going to cause some nasty overlaps and probably why they chose to 3 tank it. Sco mentions they had a perfect phase1 and managed to push him before they got another gaze, they have a few sub 1-2% wipes so im assuming that resulted from not pushing quite fast enough.

also, Justwait is a monster, see him BrM tanking solo for a good 5-6 seconds. dude is a beast. on their Imoner kill he also tanked through his enrage and was bouncing around 700% stagger.

Interview with Justwait on the monk page Antorus/Argus interview with Justwait

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't tell through all the switches but their third tank was picking up just orbs during his pov. Not sure if he was doing t the whole fight

At 700% stagger aren't you taking ~7M/sec. If so that is more a testament to healers.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider

check out his Hp in this video at around 8:00 they are even talking about it over comms.

there is a clip from his perspective as well but i cant find it. even with healing cooldowns he is managing the damage spikes perfectly with his purifies/CDs. You're right that without good healing he would be dead, but he's not in a panic or yelling for CD's, just hanging out taking the dmg. healers are spam CD'ing him at that point but it still takes a lot of stagger management to not just hammer purify.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
that's the last boss of the expansion? that was lame as hell lmao

i mean it looked chaotic as an encounter, but as a boss.. that was incredibly underwhelming.

Kind of agree. I think they put most of the climax in the cut scene. But as a fight goes it's pretty damn good mechanics and fighting in the pantheon is all well and bad ass.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
got about 20ish pulls on Imoner last night, not very good results.

DPS are trying to cross the bridge too early and our dispells aren't as fast as they should be.we are stacking on the 2nd platform and having the tanks soak all the mines, which seems to be working well, but it goes to shit on the third platform when range have to occasionally soak.