World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So if I pick this up later in the week will i be able to understand it/get into the game despite not having played since 07?

I tried back in about last January . My friend gave em an account with a max Shaman (my old main class), and a few level 100-105 chars. The game was just so overwhelming and only superficially like the one i used to play it seemed. I was told by some guys from discord that i would have a better chance if i tried after a new xpac. is there a good reason to think this may be true/ or will i likely just run into the same problems?

Short answer: WoW is very forgiving in terms of learning how to play it again.

I left during WOTLK and picked it back up at the end of WoD / beginning of Legion, and I didn't have to spend too much time getting back into rhythm. As long as you don't expect to boost a character and immediately play it perfectly, you're good to go. Also, everything you knew about addons/UI elements is probably grossly outdated, but even some of that survived from my old setup. Just have to put a bit of time in to re-learn and you're fine.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Word on the street is that the new version of AK just adjusts your AP to the same % progress in the level as you were before the AK kicked in, so you end up losing raw AP.

This iteration behaves exactly like in Legion except they keep the numbers smaller rather than trillions.

Did you think you'd get to log in and be auto granted Neck levels?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

I left during WOTLK and picked it back up at the end of WoD / beginning of Legion, and I didn't have to spend too much time getting back into rhythm. As long as you don't expect to boost a character and immediately play it perfectly, you're good to go. Also, everything you knew about addons/UI elements is probably grossly outdated, but even some of that survived from my old setup. Just have to put a bit of time in to re-learn and you're fine.

The one weird thing about the every expansion having to learn your class is really if you have not played for multiple expansions you probably are no worse off for knowing how to play your class than most people who have played the last few expansions. It is a weird side effect but it does make it reasonably easy for people to just pick it back up again without much problem.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider

Yeah i don't mean it was difficult or anything. The couple of Heroics i did seemed 1000% trivial despite barely having a clue. it was just being thrown into the world and not really having a clue where i should be going for various things. idk, i'm hoping maybe having "a path" to travel with other players may make it much easier.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I played horde since BC. Playing alliance from 1 to cap actually gave me a couple funs. I also really hate all of the horde models. Worgen and dwarfs are awesome.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah i don't mean it was difficult or anything. The couple of Heroics i did seemed 1000% trivial despite barely having a clue. it was just being thrown into the world and not really having a clue where i should be going for various things. idk, i'm hoping maybe having "a path" to travel with other players may make it much easier.

Heroics tend to not be that much of a step up from normals. There are a few that can be nasty like in the tentatemple dungeon there are a few caster trash mobs that fucking DOMINATE you if you can't keep interrupting their shit. They are in a lot of ways harder than the bosses of that dungeon. That dungeon also has the mind control fight where you have to know to run through the purple balls when you get the squid head on you and your DPS HAVE to focus on the charmed person. I had a run where people just would not do it and wondered why they kept wiping.

Mythic 0 is kinda like TBC dungeons of yore back when they were fresh. Doable but some CC helps and you have to watch for certain mechanics or you will get fucked up.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah those TBC Heroics were excellent. if anything a few had some moments that verged on the unfair, at least n the first few months after release when i played them. But i would not mind it if the game has stuff comparable to those.

That final orc dungeon on heroic was such a bitch as a Shaman healer. You had a time limit that allowed maybe one wipe after it started upon killing the first boss. it was hard enough simply getting to the two headed Orge guy but beating him was just fucking awful with no DA considering he would randomly aggro on healers/dps all fight. Then the last boss was pretty hard also. lost so many attempts 2-4 hours in before i got that.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
They AP catch-up feels shitty. I wish they had explained it better or I obviously wouldn't have done my 24h world quests last night or turned in the emissary chests for the past 2 days. I think they could have come up with a cleaner solution. I understand it's all proportional, but waking up with less AP than I had the previous day just feels bad.

I guess it'll make me grind hard to get 0% into the next lvl each week, and save all my turnins whenever possible...

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
They AP catch-up feels shitty. I wish they had explained it better or I obviously wouldn't have done my 24h world quests last night or turned in the emissary chests for the past 2 days. I think they could have come up with a cleaner solution. I understand it's all proportional, but waking up with less AP than I had the previous day just feels bad.

I guess it'll make me grind hard to get 0% into the next lvl each week, and save all my turnins whenever possible...

I agree it feels odd but getting AP items that were worth BILLIONS of AP felt fucking weird too. I am not sure there is a great solution either way if feels weird or bad but is also something that needs to happen so I am just going to ignore the numbers on the bar and go about my business.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
AP catch up worked exactly how most people thought it would. It's not really a catch up if past efforts are worth the same as future ones now is it?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Confirmed. I mean, technically I'm closer to level 20 on my neck, but definitely lost 4-5k raw AP from what my total was within that level. Guess I'm going to try to be as low a percent as possible going into each new week.

Also hilarious the emissary cache reward being a 340 weapon today...but only for certain specs. Hunters get polearm so if you're not Surv fuck you. Druids were only getting int polearm or staff too, I heard. If you aren't boomkin guess you're fucked. Our DH's will be happy though, 1h fist weapon.
Boomkin wants weapon and offhand from what I heard. I haven't logged in yet but I have not seen a staff that doesn't change from int to agility when you switch specs.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I agree it feels odd but getting AP items that were worth BILLIONS of AP felt fucking weird too. I am not sure there is a great solution either way if feels weird or bad but is also something that needs to happen so I am just going to ignore the numbers on the bar and go about my business.

Go one step further and hide the bar entirely. You know it's a carefully gated grind that is tied to character progression, you know that it is adjusted weekly, and you know that no matter what you're going to need a bazillion points. Watching it tick up isn't going to tell you anything useful so don't watch the pot boil.

• 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mythic 0 is kinda like TBC dungeons of yore back when they were fresh. Doable but some CC helps and you have to watch for certain mechanics or you will get fucked up.

TBC heroics were way harder than current Mythic 0. You can CC to help Mythic 0, but it's really not necessary as long as you aren't with scrubs. TBC Heroics pre nerf required CC for most, and for stuff like Shattered Halls you'd just be a stain on the ground without solid CC.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So if I pick this up later in the week will i be able to understand it/get into the game despite not having played since 07?

I tried back in about last January . My friend gave em an account with a max Shaman (my old main class), and a few level 100-105 chars. The game was just so overwhelming and only superficially like the one i used to play it seemed. I was told by some guys from discord that i would have a better chance if i tried after a new xpac. is there a good reason to think this may be true/ or will i likely just run into the same problems?

Getting dropped into the end cycle of Legion after not playing for a decade would probably seem overwhelming. There was a lot of shit available at that point.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
TBC heroics were way harder than current Mythic 0. You can CC to help Mythic 0, but it's really not necessary as long as you aren't with scrubs. TBC Heroics pre nerf required CC for most, and for stuff like Shattered Halls you'd just be a stain on the ground without solid CC.
Oh, attunements...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good writeup on the issues that the scrapper, unsurprisingly, has created.

r/wow - The Scrapper has to go. Professions are a mess and need improvement.

Can echo the calcified bones remark. I have 1200 as well and zero need for any more. The ironic thing about LWing leveling is the most efficient way to do it with the scrapper is skill up to 50 on whatever, then just make Hardened Tempest Hides from 50 to whatever skill you need. They only require 1 Tempest Hide and 1 oil that you get a ton of from the scrapper. Funny thing is doing leveling/dungeons I had more Hardened Tempest Hides (the blue mat) from the scrapper than I did Tempest Hides (green mat that is used to make the blue). Either way you end up with tons of the high level mats and really only needing to skin for leather and blood-stained bones.

Got to the point where I stopped scrapping boe greens and sent them to get DE'd for dust. But now I have 1600 dust and zero need for that as well. Plus with the advent of the hyperspawn locations where people farmed hours for boe 350/355 epics which would net tons of boe greens to burn as well, prices for nearly everything tanked. I'm surprised the Deep Sea Satin price is still as high as it is, since you get a ton of that from the hyperspawn locations as well.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Deep Sea Satin is a highly demanded material. It's the one thing I constantly need -- I have a LOT of embroidered and tidespray from the scrapper -- and I think it's all because of the Deep Sea Bags requiring 25 minimum (at rank 3).

To put it a different way, I get roughly twice as much Embroidered Deep Sea Satin from the scrapper than I do Deep Sea Satin. Tidespray is kind of in its own area quantity wise, but in my bank it's my highest count tailoring material between the scrapper and drops. Deep Sea Satin is significantly less in both scrapper return and drops. It's bad enough I put in a suggestion that they axe Embroidered from the scrapper cold turkey and compensate with Deep Sea Satin, since you only need 1x Tidespray and 1x Satin to get Embroidered; it's not hard to get, but we Tailors have no need to make it because of the scrapper giving so much.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I need anchor weed. I wish I could trade expulsom for it, I already have way more expulsom than I will ever need.

• 2Like