World of Warcraft: Current Year

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think I might play classic just to see the modern WoW player try to tackle shit like non-linear paths. I was going to use BRD as an example, but those fuckers are going to tap out just trying to get into Deadmines or try to figure out the sub-areas of Mara

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Overwatch is basically in maintenance mode. They are putting out a new hero every 6 months or whatever and a new map every once in awhile, but they're basically just letting the game rot. There isn't anything innovative there anymore.
Excuse me, they made Soldier a faggot. If that's not innovation then you are a bigot.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
At this point, my trust level with Blizzard is so low that I would totally expect them to fuck up something as simple as Classic wow, even with a declared version.

Group finder has already been declared a non-factor, but who knows. Which makes me curious how many servers they plan to open, and if there will be any interconnectivity in grouping or auction houses. One unified server would be amazing, but breaks heavily from their current motif, hopefully retaining the inability to race or faction change.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
At this point, my trust level with Blizzard is so low that I would totally expect them to fuck up something as simple as Classic wow, even with a declared version.

Group finder has already been declared a non-factor, but who knows. Which makes me curious how many servers they plan to open, and if there will be any interconnectivity in grouping or auction houses. One unified server would be amazing, but breaks heavily from their current motif, hopefully retaining the inability to race or faction change.

When classic takes over live as the primary WoW money-maker they're going to feel compelled to tinker with it to increase revenue. They'll have long winded speeches on how they're really just doing it for the average working Joe that can't put in 8 hour sessions or sit around IF/Org trying to get a group together, and the brainless idiots will support them except for the vocal minority that knows what it will lead to. This of course sounds familiar because it's what happens with pretty much every MMO ever made. Only this time even a lot of the usual vocal minority will switch to the supporting side because we all are the average Joe that just doesn't have the time we did during the last cycle, and the core masochist gamers are all playing Souls games and other genre's instead of MMO's.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
When classic takes over live as the primary WoW money-maker they're going to feel compelled to tinker with it to increase revenue.

Not just that. If it exceeds expectations you'll have the corporate types doing whatever it takes to get their fingerprints on it. The easiest way to do that is to push changes.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think I might play classic just to see the modern WoW player try to tackle shit like non-linear paths. I was going to use BRD as an example, but those fuckers are going to tap out just trying to get into Deadmines or try to figure out the sub-areas of Mara
The modern wow player is leagues beyond what players in classic were doing. This is not going to be how you think it is

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't know what you mean? People are gonna destroy brd

Who do you mean by people? We might be talking about two different groups of players here. People with a clue and people without a clue. The clueless ones (that make up a very large percentage of the WoW playerbase) struggle with the simplest of things in the game and even current BRD with a vastly better gear>difficulty situation. They get confused over things like the lyceum torches, dropping down to Incendus, or even how to get to some of the off-the-path bosses.

Right now those people can press 2 buttons and get into a group that just steamrolls everything and rarely ever has to press a direction key other than "forward". Throw them into BRD at the zone-in, or the Mara outer caves, or the multi-directional paths to even zone in to Deadmines and they're going to be hopelessly lost.

The ones with a clue won't have an issue with it anymore than they did back in the day. The vanilla design is just going to result in this group being smaller than it is on live.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Im sure a fair portion of people will suck at first, but it's not some huge learning curve. They'll fuck it up, read about it and do it just fine the second time.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Im sure a fair portion of people will suck at first, but it's not some huge learning curve. They'll fuck it up, read about it and do it just fine the second time.

Of course, but I'm talking about the chaos and comedy that's going to happen in the lead up to them figuring it out.

Fartbox

Trakanon Raider
People arguing classic vs. current are goofy. The game hasn't changed much. Pick some talents, put on some shiny new gear, kill some bosses, yell at people who do stuff wrong/strategize how to do stuff less wrong. Raiding hasn't changed much since TBC, and maybe even BWL. Tanking was harder in the earlier expansions for multi-mobs + speed (Shattered Halls key run, Vashj, Kael), but it's still hard now and requires you behave like a DPS class to some extent. Healing is about the same complexity, but less timing/cooldown oriented in the earlier xpacs. DPS is still the same...do as much damage as you can and don't stand in bad shit. Fights really aren't more "complex" either. Dodge something, kill something, time something, some combo of the three.

Quality of the game hasn't dropped either really (though it does have small ups and downs), everyone's just bored of the same shit - it has been 15 years almost and it's still the same rehashed stuff from back in the day. The stuff that has been added that seems "new" really is just reinventing the wheel. I was done with it after TBC, still hop on to play an expansion for the first raid once in a while, but it always gets to the "been there done that" point.

What has changed is everyone's age. That's the biggest factor for me. I'm less willing to put up with the people as I once was and I've got better shit to do. And people are what really make an MMORPG an MMORPG.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you could steam roll dungeons in wow like you can in Diablo, would you play all of the old dungeons in a season like manner with similar Diablo gearing mechanics? God, please don't offer me a job at Blizz.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I would say that coordination and complexity has definitely changed in some fights. I wouldn’t expect a lot of the folks doing lfr/normal today to be doing fights like Kael, Putricide or two emps without banging their head against the wall for a long time. Not that I’m bashing lfr or normal. I think it’s ultimately good for the game for folks to be able to see all the fights and feel like they accomplished something. It’s definitely much different than it used to be though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You don't think a normal raider can handle standing in a position to tank the twin emps while a third tank squashes bugs?

Cybsled

Twin Emps was the only time I wasn't driven to fall asleep while raiding on my warlock, since I got to tank sometimes.