World of Warcraft: Current Year

xzi

Mouthbreather
doubt it given how much of a disaster and unfinished both the zones and the new dungeon have been when they were put on PTR

they're shaping up really well though

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The lack of levels isn't the problem with the idea. It worked fine for Velious. Your proposed implementation just doesn't sound fun.
Unfortunately, it's the one that is in line with the current Modern WoW design trajectory. The one that gave us "level squish". And they will not make the suggested leap, because "locking" content behind specific bars (quest lines) is something they're against these days. The only bar to content should be time, and not too much of it.

There is a reason levels feel (felt?) good, and that's because they gave us a sense of progression. And no, the ding wasn't a sense of progression, it was a pavlovian reflex that associated ding with the real leveling: going to the trainer to purchase a new ability (even if it is Flash Heal XXI), opening the talent tree to add a new talent. Those actions were "tactile" rewards, rather than an invisible +1 STA, +1 INT. And they made the reward loop work.

Oh, and I forgot that suddenly, you were seeing +1 Sword Skill messages again. That was deferred reward, less tactile, but still working.

But Blizzard painted themselves in a corner by removing those tactile rewards, then rating increases guaranteed to drop your effective stats, THEN introducing scaling so that even the few +stats didn't even matter. At this point, each level gives you a negative feedback, except the last of the expansion which unlocks the game.

So, in that context, removing every level in the "leveling" makes sense. The only level that rewards you is the last one. And that is doomed to fail, because unless you make it so that you can complete that level (or that quest line) in a few hours, then it feels to remote, and you don't feel like you're progressing with any session.

There's no solution that doesn't involve a 180 in design. Which is not going to happen in WoW 1. And that's also why Classic holds so much lure...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Thinking of resubbing until classic comes out. Should I even bother getting BFA or just dick around on my 110s and new toons?

Rime

<Donor>
Thinking of resubbing until classic comes out. Should I even bother getting BFA or just dick around on my 110s and new toons?

BfA questing was not horrible, Season 2 Mythic+ was loads of fun, and the first two raids were enjoyable (save for the final bosses).

8.2 should be out on the 25th, but it is just more WQs, new collection items, and a single dungeon/BG.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
BfA questing was not horrible, Season 2 Mythic+ was loads of fun, and the first two raids were enjoyable (save for the final bosses).

8.2 should be out on the 25th, but it is just more WQs, new collection items, and a single dungeon/BG.
Jaina was fine. Ghuun was fine ... On LFR. Other then that Ghuun was awful.

Rime

<Donor>
Jaina was not... horrible, I guess? Ghuun was aids. Constant aids. On every difficulty.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
killed ghuun once on heroic and never went back on any difficulty lol, was just not fun

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I've been fighting the same urge out of boredom. it's forcing me to actually load up some of my completely unplayed steam titles and it's been kinda fun.
Caught up on reading, series binging, youtube slumming, and surprisingly little gaming (I tried MTG Arena, but the permanent slap in the face when you're noob and don't want to P2W is not motivating).

The point is, if you're looking toward Classic, resubbing for Modern "while waiting" is a total waste. Either you're interested in Modern, or you're not.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
some okay reasons to resub:

The current raid, Dazar'Alor is really fantastic (but almost over). Genuinely one of my favorite raids since icc/ulduar in both location/style and I like every boss.

Arenas, albeit we've stopped really playing, are in on OKAY spot but not the best. Some games are determined by trinkets and the rest of the games are resto druids.

Battlegrounds are really fucking fun as a stealth class. I mostly stick to epic BGs, but I immediately afk out every single time I get offense in Wintergrasp because I've won maybe 3 out of 25 on offense. It's just faster to take deserter and requeue. Mage and moonkin also get a notable mention for just blasting people from downtown.

If you enjoy old mount/mog farming, now is a good time to do it because there's not a ton going on. .....actually if you just enjoy collecting anything in the game

If you enjoy lore/story, both War Campaigns are pretty solid. They don't offer anything in terms of gameplay really, but the story is alright.

Warmode pvp CAN be enjoyable until you get sharded randomly

some reasons to not resub:

M+ has been turned full esport, it's still okay if you have friends that want to do it but something about it just isn't as fun as legion

World quests are world quests are world quests are world quests

Classes are still not being touched until 9.0, if you hated your class at launch of BFA you'll probably still hate it. Azerite changes a few builds up but it's not enough.

None of your friends or guild play anymore anyways :(

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'd pretty much only play if you're only interested in raid logging, or being an autist collector like myself

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You will slog through our fucking failure dogshit joke of content and you will fucking like it faggots. Instead of asking yourselves why players do everything they can to bypass your dogshit grind you failure cunt Devs instead see fun detected and add yet another bullshit system.

Starting in Patch 8.2, when someone turns their experience off, all members of their group will receive 95% reduced experience ( Experience Eliminated). This change likely comes as a result from Blizzard discussing ways to weaken leveling with level 110 twinks in islands. Thanks Mandl and Light of the XPOff Community for pointing it out for us!

The buff affects all party members within 200 yards of you. There seem to be no notifications of who is providing the buff to the group, plus there are no warnings when players with XP on invite others with XP off.

This affects the very popular experience gain method of Freehold boosting, where a level 110 Demon Hunter with the right gear and legendaries is able to boost someone from level 110 to 120 in just 2 hours.

• 1Solidarity

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Typical, they don't understand or want to admit the reason people stay locked at 110 in the first place - their dogshit scaling system. This won't affect me so much as I only use my 110 twink to farm old raids and shit at 160% run speed, but it will legit fuck over any fresh 110s wanting to do shit like islands to power up their neck.

I don't get why they even give a shit if people want to boost their 8th alt to 120 quickly, this late into the expansion. Do they just enjoy being dicks to their customers for no reason? Maybe Kotick told them they needed to sell more shop boosts?

worf.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You will slog through our fucking failure dogshit joke of content and you will fucking like it faggots. Instead of asking yourselves why players do everything they can to bypass your dogshit grind you failure cunt Devs instead see fun detected and add yet another bullshit system.

Starting in Patch 8.2, when someone turns their experience off, all members of their group will receive 95% reduced experience ( Experience Eliminated). This change likely comes as a result from Blizzard discussing ways to weaken leveling with level 110 twinks in islands. Thanks Mandl and Light of the XPOff Community for pointing it out for us!

The buff affects all party members within 200 yards of you. There seem to be no notifications of who is providing the buff to the group, plus there are no warnings when players with XP on invite others with XP off.

This affects the very popular experience gain method of Freehold boosting, where a level 110 Demon Hunter with the right gear and legendaries is able to boost someone from level 110 to 120 in just 2 hours.

They've got a real thing with closing doors.

Rime

<Donor>
There will be a 120 Boost available (in the cash shop, of course) in 8.2 or 8.2.5. Mark my words.

xzi

Mouthbreather
They're not doing to to stop xp gain, they're doing it to stop boosting for $$$ / gold

They're on some retard mission to take as much gold out of the economy as possible. Which is pretty evident by all mount costs in BFA (new gryphons cost.. 90k?? for a gryphon?), as well as flasks/pots requiring absurd amount of herbs compared to the rest of the game for the last 15 years.

But it really just feels like the whole "Stop playing the game that way" they keep insisting on pushing. This is straight up only a problem in the devs eyes, the rest of the playerbase either fucking loves it or just doesn't care. Nobody is out here like "boosting 10 levels for 2 hours is ruining my gameplay experience"

bunch of fucking clowns

• 1Like