World of Warcraft: Current Year

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why do people make counterstatements using completely different words? I never said it was hard. I said it wasn't fun.

And balance druid had to change talents for every fight in Legion. Two different types of aoe builds, and two or three solo builds. That isn't fun or interesting. If it was a talent swap for one, maybe two fights and those were back-to-back, great. Uniqueness, special. Not modus operandi. Maybe it worked that way for other classes. I don't know, but for me, it didn't.

to each their own, I think multiple builds are fun. I played Marks hunter end of Legion, and while it was mostly single target v. AoE fights there were some other optimal tweaks on certain fights. Click an item, swap talents, learn different builds. Enjoyed it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think having talents that shine in different situations is really what we should want. There shouldn't typically be a single talent that's better in all situations. At that point, what's the point of even having talents?

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Swapping talents that changed the game play for fights was fun - definitely not against that. Having to flip nearly every talent from fight to fight, was not. It was the same builds for each specific fight. That wasn't interesting. The ease of changing made it mandatory. Always had a stack or two ready to do so. On top of swapping legendaries/gear, which was fortunately automated so you could just click a button. Also needed to switch around a couple primary abilities on the cast bar. If you could have saved builds, would have been a lot less of a nuisance.

During WOD you could generally run a single build for an entire raid. Maybe change them for PVP or a slight change for dungeons vs raids or whatever. Vanilla/TBC was a whole other monster with sacrifices made to raid and pvp. Wrath was pretty set it and forget it, don't recall doing much changing. Cata introduced the trimmed down, modern talent system, but didn't really offer variability.

If you're going to make it "easy", go all in.

Merrith

Swapping talents that changed the game play for fights was fun - definitely not against that. Having to flip nearly every talent from fight to fight, was not. It was the same builds for each specific fight. That wasn't interesting. The ease of changing made it mandatory. Always had a stack or two ready to do so. On top of swapping legendaries/gear, which was fortunately automated so you could just click a button. Also needed to switch around a couple primary abilities on the cast bar. If you could have saved builds, would have been a lot less of a nuisance.

During WOD you could generally run a single build for an entire raid. Maybe change them for PVP or a slight change for dungeons vs raids or whatever. Vanilla/TBC was a whole other monster with sacrifices made to raid and pvp. Wrath was pretty set it and forget it, don't recall doing much changing. Cata introduced the trimmed down, modern talent system, but didn't really offer variability.

If you're going to make it "easy", go all in.

Wrath had the dual spec talent stuff did it not? I like the idea of saving builds, though. Multiple not just a dual swap back and forth. At least for the cast bar.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
So I hadn't played WoW since Cata patch one. I ran through levels 1-110 just because I'm already paying a sub for Classic anyway.

I missed a lot of stuff! I can't believe how beautiful some zones in the world are. Shadowmoon Valley was amazing. I laughed out loud when I zoned into Darkmoon Faire and saw that they turned it into a whole night carnival with fireworks and everything! It actually made me cry because one of my earliest memories is being at a carnival like that with my mom and my stepdad.

The Garrison and the Legion class order hall for Rogues were very cool.

I know it's cliche, and completely hypocritical as someone who grinded the shit out of the first 3 expacs, but I think you miss what's great about this game just grinding out dungeons for some +ilvl points. Just exploring the zones and killing all the rare monsters to see what stupid blues they dropped was more fun than I've had in WoW in a long time, and I barely got through 20% of the content in WoD and Legion, I'd have loved to play those when they were new.

The MoP dungeons were cool to see once in random groups while leveling but I wouldn't have ever wanted to grind those.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

WoW's art department never had issues. Everything else 50/50 or worse.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
So I hadn't played WoW since Cata patch one. I ran through levels 1-110 just because I'm already paying a sub for Classic anyway.

I missed a lot of stuff! I can't believe how beautiful some zones in the world are. Shadowmoon Valley was amazing. I laughed out loud when I zoned into Darkmoon Faire and saw that they turned it into a whole night carnival with fireworks and everything! It actually made me cry because one of my earliest memories is being at a carnival like that with my mom and my stepdad.

I know it's cliche, and completely hypocritical as someone who grinded the shit out of the first 3 expacs, but I think you miss what's great about this game just grinding out dungeons for some +ilvl points. Just exploring the zones and killing all the rare monsters to see what stupid blues they dropped was more fun than I've had in WoW in a long time, and I barely got through 20% of the content in WoD and Legion, I'd have loved to play those when they were new.

The MoP dungeons were cool to see once in random groups while leveling but I wouldn't have ever wanted to grind those.

Exploring around on foot is one of my favorite things to do in this game. Especially when you find little outposts and coves, I just enjoy it so much. Like mentioned above the art department has never had any issue and Shadowlands is definitely no different. Looking at those new zones in the trailer honestly blows me away how gorgeous they are. Everyone on that art team needs raises tbh

also vaguely related, but Legion was in my opinion the best expansion they've released yet - the suramar campaign the first time through is absolutely wonderful and definitely worth checking out even if you're at cap.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Shadowmoon Valley in WoD is definitely one of the best looking zones. WoD got many things wrong, but the two start zones were spectacular.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Actually kind of bummed that Tower of the Damned is planned to be on a weekly lock out.
Can't have people doing too much of that new thing and being distracted from grinding WQ and BG.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Shit isn't going to really change as long as the devs don't do their own thinking, and rely on number crunchers to tell them what players want. It's not good for the longterm health of the game, or any game for that matter. Shit is right up there with autotune for singers imo.

Playing BFA, even in it's "fixed" state for past week, feels like there's no soul to it, as if some Skynet in a lab is actually the lead game designer now. It's basically been said, but the art & audio teams are the only ones with actual talent at Blizzard nowadays.

WoW isn't dead yet, and can likely continue on like this for another several years purely on Blizz Fan power, but they will have permanently lost the fans that helped them make WoW a juggernaut.

I really hope I'm wrong, despite waxing and waning between loving the game and being pissed at it, I've played the shit out of this game for past 15+ years, other than Cata, MoP & BFA.

• 2Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
"Level speed is 60-70% faster from 1 to 50."

I've been leveling a rogue to scratch my mmo fix recently. 1-50 is fast as hell with heirlooms so this will be pretty crazy. You should be able to get any alt up to date in a day, basically.

WoD sucked overall. Legion, however, was probably the most fun I've had in WoW. That and WotLK are hands down my favorite expacs.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
MoP and Legion were my faves so I had high hopes that this one would be promising.... I am very not whelmed.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Shadowmoon Valley in WoD is definitely one of the best looking zones. WoD got many things wrong, but the two start zones were spectacular.

WoD questing was off the chain. They did such an amazing job tbh.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
ycl0nbuchuw31.jpg

• 2Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
So who is that supposed to be? Ner'zhul?
"The Jailor" which is some sort of ancient entity, so can't be Ner'zhul. Ner'zhul was possessing the Helm of Domination which Sylvanas broke, so he is probably dead now.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Gonna LMAO when Sylvanas gets pk'd by Arthas again in Shadowlands

Also, from the few sets they've shown, the armor looks a lot better. Gameplay systems aside, almost all of the armor in BFA outside of a few really cool Mythic raid sets have been absolutely putrid. For me, the cosmetic "reward" was a real carrot from Vanilla all the way up to transmog time and if the sets look like shit it kills about 40% of my raiding desire.

I think there is a chance the xpac is good, but aside from Ion stating "player agency" about 100 times they have a lot of work to do to prove they're actually listening. Covenant stuff seems cool-ish, but looking at the mage abilities it's pretty clear that one is night and day better than the other 3. Hope they've concocted a way to balance some of that, but I have my doubts

• 1Solidarity