World of Warcraft: Current Year

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
any point in leveling trade skills prior to expac release? Does it start over I don’t remember how it works

No point these days, back in Legion (or was it WoD?) they split them all up into their respective Xpac, to be leveled separately. Shadowlands will have it's own separate tree, starting at 1.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
any point in leveling trade skills prior to expac release? Does it start over I don’t remember how it works

Not as of the start of BfA. You used to have to level through each expansion to have a high enough skill to do the new stuff. Now, however, each expansion has it's own skill level, so when Shadowlands launches, you will have to learn Shadowlands_Trade_Skill_Level_1 from a trainer.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
No point these days, back in Legion (or was it WoD?) they split them all up into their respective Xpac, to be leveled separately. Shadowlands will have it's own separate tree, starting at 1.
One interesting thing is in shadowlands every era of crafting can make items up to level 50 quality. So you could start your shadowlands leveling in vanilla crafted gear and it would be totally fine power wise.

Burns

One interesting thing is in shadowlands every era of crafting can make items up to level 50 quality. So you could start your shadowlands leveling in vanilla crafted gear and it would be totally fine power wise.

If you want to prep for Shadowlands, the prepatch is going to have gear the same level as normal raid loot, and I doubt anything crafted from old xpacs would get that high(?).

I guess the old trades could have a use for leveling. They have some kinda upgrade tokens that you can apply every so many levels, but I don't plan on leveling shit, so didn't look too closely at the news post about it. Unless the trade skill stuff is substantially better, it would still be easier to just go with heirlooms.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
No changes to exp this build after the character wipe. A couple speed levelers reporting they finished the last zone at level 57.5 on a pure story quest run.

They can still adjust values, but be prepared to do all the side quests in each zone as you level. The zones don't scale on your first character so if you skip the side quests and come back later, they will be green/grey and give fuck all for exp.

You'll wish you had done the side quests earlier when you finish Revendreth at level 57-58 (or even 59) and are sitting around with your dick in hand looking at a grey ! quest that requires level 60 to progress.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you want to prep for Shadowlands, the prepatch is going to have gear the same level as normal raid loot, and I doubt anything crafted from old xpacs would get that high(?).

I guess the old trades could have a use for leveling. They have some kinda upgrade tokens that you can apply every so many levels, but I don't plan on leveling shit, so didn't look too closely at the news post about it. Unless the trade skill stuff is substantially better, it would still be easier to just go with heirlooms.
I believe they can all be upgraded to I level 100 basically max crafted item gear is intro raid gear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No changes to exp this build after the character wipe. A couple speed levelers reporting they finished the last zone at level 57.5 on a pure story quest run.

They can still adjust values, but be prepared to do all the side quests in each zone as you level. The zones don't scale on your first character so if you skip the side quests and come back later, they will be green/grey and give fuck all for exp.

You'll wish you had done the side quests earlier when you finish Revendreth at level 57-58 (or even 59) and are sitting around with your dick in hand looking at a grey ! quest that requires level 60 to progress.
You also need to finish all the side-quests for the zone you want to be your Covenant anyhow, since half the end-game activities don't unlock there until you do. So Important to ID your end-game covenant early and clean out the area.

You'll probably want to do each Covenant's leveling dungeon once as you level as well, since there's actually Dungeon Quests you pick up in the world again.

Kinda sucks for anyone who needs to clear Bastion or Maldraxus, since they won't be able to "get ahead" of the scrum effectively. And Maldraxus's side quests are horribly scattered and travel heavy.

Burns

I believe they can all be upgraded to I level 100 basically max crafted item gear is intro raid gear.

You made me look it up, since that actually sounded good, and I have a bunch of old mats laying around.

They nerfed it slightly to ilevel 87 (Relic of the Past V). Nylotha LFR is ilevel 85 and normal is ilevel 100. Prepatch event gives ilevel 100.

Without the nerf, item level 100 trade skill gear would have made the prepatch event fairly worthless. Now both are useful, and the tradeskill stuff is still far better than what you would have on a fresh 50/120 toon (and maybe the easiest upgrades to acquire before Shadowlands).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ah so they did back it down a bit but basically you can have a totally fine set of gear from crafting of whatever era trips your trigger to get you into shadowlands which is so much better than its been in ages. All eras are viable and useful.

Balmung

Peasant
Leveling as Horde was a cake walk. Saw maybe one or two Alliance the entire time, and they mostly didn't do much. Now I'm leveling some Alliance and can't move more than 20 feet without being ganked by a geared low level or a 120 with 500k HP. The 25-30% extra exp from warmode almost makes it feel mandatory at this point, but I'm not sure it's even worth it on Alliance. Horde live in Redridge 24/7 just like the old days on PvP servers. Only now I feel like I have even less of a chance to do anything about it since everyone is zooming around on flying mounts and one shotting me from orbit.

donomito

Blackwing Lair Raider
0xc4hnmly3w31.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

There is going to be a ton of pissed people if they don't start shitting out miracle patches.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think, as the audience of this game, we actually want it to go terribly wrong and have their subs plummet so maybe they finally start listening to what we've all been screaming about since Legion legendaries

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Delaying it for a month or two is probably the right call. There are enough things that need more polish that pushing it out at oct 27 was seeming less and less likely as a good idea. They are still really in the middle of the balance pass of abilities so more time to get that sorted out is probably for the best as much as I want something new to play.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is somewhat surprising, I guess they managed to convince higher ups that it's so bad if they release like that it'll actually be detrimental enough that it's better to delay it. Good on them I guess, although I still think it'll be somewhat rushed(definitely before xmas).