World of Warcraft: Current Year

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I did coldheart layer 6 on my druid as a tank, boss got to 18 stacks. I got standard defensive powers, but got a rare spawn that gave me one....every 10 seconds get a buff for 5% less damage taken while in combat, stacks up to 10 and lasts 12 seconds, basically if you are in combat long enough it never fades or if you can chain pull, you get a 50% DR buff.
I got that one as a lock on-top of a buff that let me take 30% less physical damage but take increased magic damage.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On BM Hunter, one of my Layer 6 runs went from me not being able to get past mini boss at end of floor 2, to just crushing everything with so much haste buffs it was like having hero the entire time. Some of it was a bad choice or two on powers on my part, not thinking about the need to counter caster mobs that could chain cast damage spells through my mend pet.

Torghast still fun as hell for me, because when you are able to get a few good powers shit gets broken and fun in a hurry. Had 3 or 4 stacks of the "heal for X,xxx every time you hit a new enemy" ability and was basically healing to full anytime I shot a new mob.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That person should be banned from video games for life for that floating combat text setup.

RL: Why did you get hit by the cone when he turned

Dipshit: I couldn't see the boss, but I'm pretty sure my Eviscerate crit for 5k!

Seriously that guy is worse then a clicker.

On another note this raid tier has been pleasantly surprising. Usually the first tier is low effort compared to the other tiers of an expansion but this might be my favorite first tier out of any expansions so far.

Chris

Potato del Grande
What is the suggested item level for Mythic Dungeons as DPS?

Also I want to heal using a controller like in FF14, are there any mods which allow you to cycle through your party/raid using arrow keys rather than having to select with a mouse?

Last edited:
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I'm running pugs I always put 175. But I'm a tank and can find people pretty fast.

For M+ I use raider.io addon.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seriously that guy is worse then a clicker.
Also I want to heal using a controller like in FF14, are there any mods which allow you to cycle through your party/raid using arrow keys rather than having to select with a mouse?

1607913692958.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

May god have mercy on your groups.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
at 185 rn just semi casual, haven't started raiding yet. RDPS isn't really in demand in organized guilds. But PUG or Mcguilds there are definitely slots.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Didn't expect playing with a controller to be so unpopular, I'll share my setup soon.

Only requires Bartender and is superior to keyboard/mouse for DPS and Tanking, using the system UI (character sheet, chat) isn't great but you still have the keyboard for that and can use a mod to auto accept/hand in quests to make levelling flow quickly.

If I can find what I need for healing then there's a good chance it'll be better for that too.

• 2Dislike
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
How are monk healers right now? If I keep playing this much longer I'm gonna have to at least partly switch to a healer as aint no way I have time to deal with finding random pick ups as a DPS. I'm still surprised they have never added a healing mage, tanking rogue, etc. spec to give people more options.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's like having your keybinds on something moulded to your hands rather than on a flat rectangle.

It works perfectly in FF14 where I also play healer.

Were you not just prior to launch, in this very thread, telling people "stop wasting your productive years playing wow" and boasting about playing chess? Yet here you are playing wow and apparently ff?

Stop wasting productive years of your life on WoW.

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Were you not just prior to launch, in this very thread, telling people "stop wasting your productive years playing wow" and boasting about playing chess? Yet here you are playing wow and apparently ff?
Chris is a teacher. He has no productive years left.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Hey man those 2 hours a day monitoring 6 year olds on Google Hangouts gets to a guy I bet.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, what can I say? You guys changed my mind.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I was shitting on the game like 2 days before jumping in. It's just Battered-WoWplayers syndrome. Every one of us goes through it.

• 1Moron
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Developer Interview - Ion Hazzikostas

Lots of WTF in this interview but this is my pet issue:

• Old raid tuning had a bug in the first week of Shadowlands for Legion content that made it harder as you leveled.
  • Old raids might be a little harder at max level now, but part of that is from your stats going down as you level. Things should get better as you get more gear and Soulbinds. Eventually your player power will exceed what it was at the end of the last expansion.

Scaling is completely fucked in old content right now and apparently Ion thinks it's fine. We've always been able to go back and hulk smash content from 2 expansions ago, and dip our toes into the easiest level of the previous expansion. For example as a fresh 120 in BFA questing gear, it was trivial to go smash WoD (2 expansions ago) Mythic raids and solo Legion (1 expansion ago) normal/heroic 5mans. As we geared up over the expansion is was possible to start doing harder Legion stuff. This is not the case now, in fact it's harder to do Legion (2 expansions ago now) Mythic raids now at 60 than it was at level 50 pre-patch. BFA (1 expansion ago) normal/heroic 5mans are a massive slog right now and outright not possible in some cases. Go look at a BFA 5 man right now (I tried Underrot normal) it's seriously harder than doing like Torghast Layer 3.

It's not so much a gear thing, I had full 197 gear in beta and it wasn't any easier trying this stuff. But hey "eventually my power will exceed what it was at the end of BFA" i.e. maybe in 9.1 I'll be able to solo the same shit I used to be able to?

Anyways, here's the full interview if you don't want to watch the video:

Launch

• It's been a pretty smooth launch for the most part. There were a few server issues early on, but engineers worked through them.
  • The Great Vault, Adventure system, and other systems have some small problems. There isn't a huge fire to put out this time.

Covenants

• Covenants are an overall success. They aren't perfect. No one expected a perfectly even split.
  • There has been a lot of feedback across the community from people who found picking a Covenant hard.
  • Changing Covenants isn't that big of an undertaking.
  • No regrets with Covenant design so far.
  • The team is keeping an eye on Conduits, especially as the third Soulbind unlocks.
  • You may have a percent or two edge with ideal Conduits, but it isn't the end of the world.
  • If someone feels like there is only one Soulbind that is viable for PvP, and that same one is the only one viable for Raid DPS, the team wants to hear about it.

PvP

• Subtlety PvP changes and Rogue buffs are coming via hotfix soon.
  • The team doesn't want people to get killed before they have a chance to react, but they don't want to swing the pendulum back too far the other way. They'll look at outliers of trinket + legendary combos and other things and tune them.

Tanks

• Threat should exist as a mechanic, but not something tanks should have to manage from minute to minute.
  • As long as you are putting forth minimal effort to hit mobs, tanks should be able to hold them.
  • You don't want threat to be so easy that a little bit of AoE damage is all you need to kite mobs from 90% to 0%.
  • Being able to trade off damage for survivability is an interesting choice.
  • Having tanks being #1 in damage in dungeons feels wrong.
  • Tanks should be able to kill things in the world in a respectable amount of time.
  • Trying to pull away from BfA situation where a tank's primary job was pumping out damage rather than surviving.

Misc

• Legendaries can be socketed.
  • Loud sound on entering the Maw is fixed.
  • The team hasn't come up with a design that would solve all of the problems that Master Loot had.
  • In organized guilds the amount of control exerted over loot caused a negative experience for a large number of players, especially for trials.
  • Getting people to use Personal Loot instead of Master Loot just wasn't going to happen through incentives.
  • If you don't get an item from a boss, now you can blame Blizzard instead of the guild / Master Looter.
  • If you have a conduit installed in your forge, you should never see a dupe. If you just have one in your bags, you can see a dupe. There isn't a way to make those sellable without making them all sellable right now.
  • World Bosses are a set rotation.
  • No plans to add more checkpoints to dungeons.
  • Faction balance is something the team talks about a lot, but there isn't a solution to talk about right now. The damage was done years ago, Troll racials in Throne of Thunder should have been nerfed.
  • Faction balance isn't driven by power balance anymore, just by social structures.
  • How does Blizzard get players that went from Alliance to Horde to go back to Alliance? Buffing Alliance racials isn't the right answer.
  • Old raid tuning had a bug in the first week of Shadowlands for Legion content that made it harder as you leveled.
  • Old raids might be a little harder at max level now, but part of that is from your stats going down as you level. Things should get better as you get more gear and Soulbinds. Eventually your player power will exceed what it was at the end of the last expansion.

Gearing

• The team is happy with how gear has played out over the last few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how people feel after the Great Vault.
  • The team should do more with using Mythic+ to provide rewards that aren't direct player power. PvP participants have a system with lots of accomplishments, so Mythic+ should offer something like that (or more)
  • Tier sets will be coming in a later Shadowlands patch. The art is awesome! Return of class sets.
  • The old tier set system is a starting point, but the team wants to come up with something better. Items monopolized slots that they were in.
  • Tier sets mean a class based aesthetic and a completion mechanic that will change your gameplay. There are ways to do this beyond just adding a 2 and 4 piece set bonus.
  • The team wants to be conservative with changing legendaries. It'll be with a patch, on the PTR, plenty of time for feedback.

World Quests

• The team is okay where things are right now. A lot of players can fill in gaps and get more conduits.
  • Graduating out of clearing your world quests every day is fine.
  • There should be something (reputation, boxes, something else) that make world quests still feel relevant.

Torghast

• No plans to make floor unlocks account wide right now. Maybe in the future.
  • No plans to allow leveling in Torghast, but it's a cool idea.
  • Twisting Corridors (Challenge mode) is coming soon, unlock is account wide.
  • Twisting Corridors will be more challenging than what you saw on beta. You should be in epics before you get there.
  • 18 floors is a long run. There is no true infinite mode right now (Layer 8), but they may revisit this later in the expansion.
  • The team wants to see how Torghast plays out before they make assumptions and build things.
  • Right now the reward system is more like the mage tower, work towards a single reward to show off. In the future, the team may revisit this.
  • Most players still have a ton of content left in the Maw.
  • There is more planned for the Maw in the future.

Raids

• The team is really happy with where tuning has landed. There were some bugs and hotfixes needed.
  • Raids have always been tuned for certain item levels and endgame system progression states.
  • Heroic has always been tuned for players with Normal difficulty raid gear. In past expansions, Warforging and more widespread loot had people geared up for Heroic/Mythic faster.

Mission Table

• Some of the Adventure testing and tuning was using a wider range of unlocks.
  • The team didn't pay enough attention to the first few week experience, especially the order that you unlock things. It'll be okay in the long run.
  • The team is looking at the UI.
  • Some of the more challenging missions that scale with your levels, such as the Soul Ash ones, feel bad. The team may change them to more static missions. Easier version with less rewards that you can always beat and a higher level one that is harder but more rewarding.

Thanks

• Thanks for the feedback, thanks for the chance (even after disappointing people in the past), thanks for making the community what it is.
  • The team wants to make your time in Azeroth as great as it can be.

I was shitting on the game like 2 days before jumping in. It's just Battered-WoWplayers syndrome. Every one of us goes through it.

I'm completely battered right now. But Ion brought me flowers and he loves me. We worked out our problems and it's going to be great from now on.

• 2Rustled
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
400-450g repair costs on a rough run.

thousands of gold on a daily aint half as nice anymore. lot of talk on FOH about it during beta, but the gold is just to float the costs of playing the expac.

nu_11

Playing FFXIV with controller is awesome tbh. And I think that’s what makes FFXIV better than WoW right now. As far as I know all jobs in FFXIV can be played well with a controller.

Tanking as Monk in WoW I just spam a lot of shit. Playing FFXIV feels more deliberate and maintaining your DPS rotation holds you to a rhythm.