World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chris

Potato del Grande
OK so the old controller mod, ConsolePort is still active, it's just ConsolePort Beta you need to search for.

Switched from Bartender to ConsolePort and it's perfect, highly configurable to the FF14 control scheme and I don't need to use Keyboard/Mouse for anything other than chat.

I have 50 keybindings set up (10 default and shift/ctrl on L1/R1 for 20 more, hold both for 10 more and alt on trackpad for 10 more) but you can have more than that even with alt and shift/ctrl combos. If you want to customise it, it's a little fiddly but the default setup is great.

There are two different healing control schemes, one is d pad to move through your raid frames at the cost of 4 keybindings. The other is a button combo to target each player at the cost of one alt/ctrl/shift modifier.

I used the dpad version to heal normal De Other Side, it was awkward at first but only because it was a new spec and new keybinds. By the end I was fairly comfortable with it and shocked my party when I told them I was on a PS4 controller.

Pretty sure I did BFA Heroics with this setup last year and see no reason why I can't do Mythics with increased performance compared to Mouse/Keyboard.

Raids... maybe navigating a 5x5 grid with dpad will be slower but I can try the other control scheme. How many players are in raids these days?

• 2Moron
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The changes to Torghast are gonna make me not wanna do it anymore. Having the 'stock up on phylacteryl charges for the end' and/or the 'snipe from invis to alphastrike the final boss' have been the best ways to deal with the overly beefy end-bosses as an arcane mage. Those have both been eviscerated and that's gonna make it just not worth doing beyond the first few layers for some soul ash each week.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is pretty fucked if Surv Hunter is outpacing Assassin Rogue in Castle Nathria. Part of me is glad my DPS class is MM Hunter. I guess they're looking solid right now.

Link to the WoWHead Article on DPS after week 1 of CN.

1608035797424.png

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is pretty fucked if Surv Hunter is outpacing Assassin Rogue in Castle Nathria. Part of me is glad my DPS class is MM Hunter. I guess they're looking solid right now.

Link to the WoWHead Article on DPS after week 1 of CN.

View attachment 323446

That's why Assassination is getting a straight 5% damage aura buff, but there is also a selection bias, dragging the numbers down lower. They didn't get many/any tunning changes in beta, so most/all high end raiders knew it was bottom tier. This led to the top 5% being 257 total parces for Ass VS. 16k for Sub, and 6.5k for Combat.

Unholy is nerfed.
Balance is nerfed.
Marks is nerfed.

Get ready for FERAL #1 DPS!!!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, what can I say? You guys changed my mind.
God if you want to give up a keyboard like a retard, at least use something practical. G600 has enough buttons to game one handed np. Controller works in ff14 because the game is painfully slow and everything happens so predictably its about memorizing the steps and not reacting to things like wow is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
God if you want to give up a keyboard like a retard, at least use something practical. G600 has enough buttons to game one handed np. Controller works in ff14 because the game is painfully slow and everything happens so predictably its about memorizing the steps and not reacting to things like wow is.
If you want to sit at a computer like a nerd and kill your wrists, have fun using antiquated equipment designed for Microsoft Office to game. Keep telling yourself that me not having to move my hands makes me slower somehow.

I'll be lounging on the sofa next to my wife while I play.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
If you want to sit at a computer like a nerd and kill your wrists, have fun using antiquated equipment designed for Microsoft Office to game. Keep telling yourself that me not having to move my hands makes me slower somehow.

Have fun in normal mode dungeons and LFR I am sure you will be solid.

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Only on certain boring ass classes and in very dry locations. Most recent raid with a class that has plenty of shit off the GCD? "FFS CAN I AT LEAST BREATHE?" But yea, I'll never buy into the idea that the controller is even on the same page as Mouse/KB, regardless if I like playing with it or not. I feel like the person using the controller would think they did a great job, meanwhile everyone else in the group had to work overtime to compensate.

Which is really my biggest gripe with the expansion so far. They've put healers in such a critical/stressful state, that unless the healer plays in the top ~30% of their classes ability (even lower percentage if we add in Mist / Holy / Disc) - that I have to over compensate as a tank for the healer not being good. Which sets me in some bullshit cycle of "Do I sacrifice holy power to heal myself cause Im at 21%, or do I use that holy power to increase my armor for the next hit and pray to God that I actually get a heal?" So now Im stressed out doing the shit because the healer is forced into a stressed out state. Tanking in the past has been enjoyable - but right now.. ffs, no wonder there arent that many tanks and healers.

Developer Interview - Ion Hazzikostas

Lots of WTF in this interview but this is my pet issue:

Scaling is completely fucked in old content right now and apparently Ion thinks it's fine. We've always been able to go back and hulk smash content from 2 expansions ago, and dip our toes into the easiest level of the previous expansion. For example as a fresh 120 in BFA questing gear, it was trivial to go smash WoD (2 expansions ago) Mythic raids and solo Legion (1 expansion ago) normal/heroic 5mans. As we geared up over the expansion is was possible to start doing harder Legion stuff. This is not the case now, in fact it's harder to do Legion (2 expansions ago now) Mythic raids now at 60 than it was at level 50 pre-patch. BFA (1 expansion ago) normal/heroic 5mans are a massive slog right now and outright not possible in some cases. Go look at a BFA 5 man right now (I tried Underrot normal) it's seriously harder than doing like Torghast Layer 3.

It's not so much a gear thing, I had full 197 gear in beta and it wasn't any easier trying this stuff. But hey "eventually my power will exceed what it was at the end of BFA" i.e. maybe in 9.1 I'll be able to solo the same shit I used to be able to?

Anyways, here's the full interview if you don't want to watch the video:

Launch

• It's been a pretty smooth launch for the most part. There were a few server issues early on, but engineers worked through them.
  • The Great Vault, Adventure system, and other systems have some small problems. There isn't a huge fire to put out this time.

Covenants

• Covenants are an overall success. They aren't perfect. No one expected a perfectly even split.
  • There has been a lot of feedback across the community from people who found picking a Covenant hard.
  • Changing Covenants isn't that big of an undertaking.
  • No regrets with Covenant design so far.
  • The team is keeping an eye on Conduits, especially as the third Soulbind unlocks.
  • You may have a percent or two edge with ideal Conduits, but it isn't the end of the world.
  • If someone feels like there is only one Soulbind that is viable for PvP, and that same one is the only one viable for Raid DPS, the team wants to hear about it.

PvP

• Subtlety PvP changes and Rogue buffs are coming via hotfix soon.
  • The team doesn't want people to get killed before they have a chance to react, but they don't want to swing the pendulum back too far the other way. They'll look at outliers of trinket + legendary combos and other things and tune them.

Tanks

• Threat should exist as a mechanic, but not something tanks should have to manage from minute to minute.
  • As long as you are putting forth minimal effort to hit mobs, tanks should be able to hold them.
  • You don't want threat to be so easy that a little bit of AoE damage is all you need to kite mobs from 90% to 0%.
  • Being able to trade off damage for survivability is an interesting choice.
  • Having tanks being #1 in damage in dungeons feels wrong.
  • Tanks should be able to kill things in the world in a respectable amount of time.
  • Trying to pull away from BfA situation where a tank's primary job was pumping out damage rather than surviving.

Misc

• Legendaries can be socketed.
  • Loud sound on entering the Maw is fixed.
  • The team hasn't come up with a design that would solve all of the problems that Master Loot had.
  • In organized guilds the amount of control exerted over loot caused a negative experience for a large number of players, especially for trials.
  • Getting people to use Personal Loot instead of Master Loot just wasn't going to happen through incentives.
  • If you don't get an item from a boss, now you can blame Blizzard instead of the guild / Master Looter.
  • If you have a conduit installed in your forge, you should never see a dupe. If you just have one in your bags, you can see a dupe. There isn't a way to make those sellable without making them all sellable right now.
  • World Bosses are a set rotation.
  • No plans to add more checkpoints to dungeons.
  • Faction balance is something the team talks about a lot, but there isn't a solution to talk about right now. The damage was done years ago, Troll racials in Throne of Thunder should have been nerfed.
  • Faction balance isn't driven by power balance anymore, just by social structures.
  • How does Blizzard get players that went from Alliance to Horde to go back to Alliance? Buffing Alliance racials isn't the right answer.
  • Old raid tuning had a bug in the first week of Shadowlands for Legion content that made it harder as you leveled.
  • Old raids might be a little harder at max level now, but part of that is from your stats going down as you level. Things should get better as you get more gear and Soulbinds. Eventually your player power will exceed what it was at the end of the last expansion.

Gearing

• The team is happy with how gear has played out over the last few weeks. It'll be interesting to see how people feel after the Great Vault.
  • The team should do more with using Mythic+ to provide rewards that aren't direct player power. PvP participants have a system with lots of accomplishments, so Mythic+ should offer something like that (or more)
  • Tier sets will be coming in a later Shadowlands patch. The art is awesome! Return of class sets.
  • The old tier set system is a starting point, but the team wants to come up with something better. Items monopolized slots that they were in.
  • Tier sets mean a class based aesthetic and a completion mechanic that will change your gameplay. There are ways to do this beyond just adding a 2 and 4 piece set bonus.
  • The team wants to be conservative with changing legendaries. It'll be with a patch, on the PTR, plenty of time for feedback.

World Quests

• The team is okay where things are right now. A lot of players can fill in gaps and get more conduits.
  • Graduating out of clearing your world quests every day is fine.
  • There should be something (reputation, boxes, something else) that make world quests still feel relevant.

Torghast

• No plans to make floor unlocks account wide right now. Maybe in the future.
  • No plans to allow leveling in Torghast, but it's a cool idea.
  • Twisting Corridors (Challenge mode) is coming soon, unlock is account wide.
  • Twisting Corridors will be more challenging than what you saw on beta. You should be in epics before you get there.
  • 18 floors is a long run. There is no true infinite mode right now (Layer 8), but they may revisit this later in the expansion.
  • The team wants to see how Torghast plays out before they make assumptions and build things.
  • Right now the reward system is more like the mage tower, work towards a single reward to show off. In the future, the team may revisit this.
  • Most players still have a ton of content left in the Maw.
  • There is more planned for the Maw in the future.

Raids

• The team is really happy with where tuning has landed. There were some bugs and hotfixes needed.
  • Raids have always been tuned for certain item levels and endgame system progression states.
  • Heroic has always been tuned for players with Normal difficulty raid gear. In past expansions, Warforging and more widespread loot had people geared up for Heroic/Mythic faster.

Mission Table

• Some of the Adventure testing and tuning was using a wider range of unlocks.
  • The team didn't pay enough attention to the first few week experience, especially the order that you unlock things. It'll be okay in the long run.
  • The team is looking at the UI.
  • Some of the more challenging missions that scale with your levels, such as the Soul Ash ones, feel bad. The team may change them to more static missions. Easier version with less rewards that you can always beat and a higher level one that is harder but more rewarding.

Thanks

• Thanks for the feedback, thanks for the chance (even after disappointing people in the past), thanks for making the community what it is.
  • The team wants to make your time in Azeroth as great as it can be.

I'm completely battered right now. But Ion brought me flowers and he loves me. We worked out our problems and it's going to be great from now on.
A couple good things, a lot of annoying things and a few bad things.

I really just want to know whats next. A lot of things seem like the base structure of a house with only the walls up and no roof. Yes, I know the game has only been out three weeks.

I "feel' as though with the slow loot, that we're now missing something to help pad out the low drop rate. For player power, we only have three options. If you dont PVP, you only have 2. If you cant get far into Castle Nathria, now you're mostly at one option and thats Mythic +. I dont see anything else out there to help you "progress" your character. Lastly, if you run Mythic + and lets say you dont get an upgrade three times in a row.. you've played 2, maybe 3 hours with nothing to show for it.

It's weird to me, because I dont know how I "feel" about that. I thought (before WF/TF shit) that ok, great.. Ive got this piece of loot equipped, but it has shit stats for me. So let me keep going and try to get the BIS. Now its "Ok, great. Ive finally got an upgrade for this slot, regardless if it has shit stats on it or not. In other games, I'll do the same thing and not give a shit about it. So I'm just.. unsure how to judge the situation. Thoughts?

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
Have fun in normal mode dungeons and LFR I am sure you will be solid.
Heroics won't be a problem, did it in BFA. Mythics I will try but I don't forsee any problems.

Raids may be an issue, if they are I'll just play a tank/dps which is 100% superior on a gamepad.

• 1Picard

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the person using the controller would think they did a great job, meanwhile everyone else in the group had to work overtime to compensate.

Pretty much my thoughts. Controller people are the same level of troglodyte that keyboard turners fall into. They think they're good but everyone in the group just groans at that guy dragging them down.

And sitting on a couch next to your wife while you play a healer? Yea, that's not how life happens. I call BS x10 on that one. Any woman gamer takes the healing slot or goes somewhere else while you're gaming. These are simply laws of gaming, unless you're wife is AKC registered.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
FF14 was specifically designed with controllers in mind. WoW was not, and is not. The pacing and movement is completely wrong for them. If you want to use a controller for questing or easy normal/heroic dungeons, then whatever. But, if you're trying that shit in content where people actually have to try then you're being a willing handicap on your teammates.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dont worry, once people realize whats acceptable numbers on bosses this will take care of itself.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can't believe this is even a conversation. I'm thinking Chris might actually wear pants on his head.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just ignore him, after his shit about "your wasting productive years playing wow, so he only plays chess 20 minutes a day while starting a new business", you can tell he just talks out his ass.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Commercial for FF14 in 3...2...1

Chris

Potato del Grande
Everything I've said is true ;)

My wife does crosstitch or something, I wouldn't marry the sort of loser who plays WoW!

Daidraco

Outside of Chris being an apologist, weren't servers suppose to come up at 11am PST? Now they've been moved to 2PM PST? or am I just confusing time zones?