World of Warcraft: Current Year

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Merrith Merrith Is 6's still a tossup this week on bosses? I might just do 5's again to hedge off any grief.

I guess what I'm asking is did you fail 6 recently.

No reason to run a 6 this week if you completed last week. I got a 7 done already, but 8 has been a pain. Been getting weak powers, couldn't kill the end boss one run, and couldn't get past the mini boss of Floor 5 on another try. There are talent changes I want to try...it just becomes a race to do enough damage to kill the boss before their damage is too much to heal with Mend Pet.

Burns

I tried tier 8 with my 174 ilevel rogue can couldn't get off the first floor of either tower. The assassin in the first tower was melting my face, and, in the other tower, the end boss of floor 1 killed me before I got it below 40%.

The difference between doing tier 7 towers, and tier 8 is 40 ash each. So I'm not too worried about doing either of them.

Last edited:

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Layer 7 of Fracture Chambers was fairly easy for my Vengeance DH ( ilvl 192 ) I'm gonna try 8 tonight and see what's up.

(Edit, can't make it past floor 4 on layer 8 within Fracture Chambers. I think it's too reliant on getting good Anima Powers for me)

1608192243747.png

But this one I cannot complete on 7. It just raped me and became harder to out dps-check the portal guards and mini's.
1608192321940.png

All I know is, I'm not really enjoying myself any more doing these. I had hopes it would be like running GR's in Diablo, but it's now just WAY to slow to enjoy.

Here's hoping Blizzard can turn this experience into something that is enjoyable. Like maybe adding a chance for loot at the end of each floor/rare mob etc. Or just something to make it worth doing. Because once I have enough Soul Ash to max out both of my best legos, I'm done in there.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I feel like each floor needs to be it's own layer.

So you choose from floor 1-100 instead of layer 1-10 or whatever the numbers would be.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Couldn’t get past the 5th floor boss of layer 7. Not going to be wasting more time trying either. It’s just too monotonous in there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

jayrebb jayrebb cleared layer 8 for Upper Reaches. Tried talent change I read where you don't use animal companion, because having the 2nd pet out reduces the Leech your main one gets by like 35%. I did get some better powers in general, too...and maybe just me being crazy, but felt like having one less pet out reduced how tough all the mobs were? Synod was my final boss, he was a bitch but I had enough damage to beat him before he got too buffed to kill me.

The one anima power that doubles Aspect of the Turtle and lets you attack with it on is pretty invaluable to let you rezz your pet and get aggro back on it with misdirection while it's still up. Other than that, take good damage powers.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I was going along with all of this and doing the Maw stuff / Torghast and what not....

Then I hit the 'can't even get into a M0 group' wall and now I'm wondering why I'm even bothering with the rest of it. Maw and Torghast only lead to soul ash and you can only have one artifact so why bother trying to get more of that right now?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well you could have been dumb like me and crafted a legendary, but not the BEST legendary, so now you need 2000 soul ash to craft that one.
Also it costs soul ash to upgrade them, and the higher ilvl item, the more soul ash it takes to craft, etc. So there is definitely a reason to grind. Is it a good reason? Debatable, but it exists.

Torghast is a fucking slog though, I agree with that. Its something I do on conference calls when I don't need to pay attention.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well you could have been dumb like me and crafted a legendary, but not the BEST legendary, so now you need 2000 soul ash to craft that one.
Also it costs soul ash to upgrade them, and the higher ilvl item, the more soul ash it takes to craft, etc. So there is definitely a reason to grind. Is it a good reason? Debatable, but it exists.

Torghast is a fucking slog though, I agree with that. Its something I do on conference calls when I don't need to pay attention.
Eventually I am pretty sure they are going to let us equip more legendaries otherwise I can't see a lot of reason for the soul ash grind. Materials cost alone is going to stop people from upgrading legendaries too much for now not really soul ash. The mission table generates a fairly reasonable amount of soul ash as well basically a lower layer worth of ash.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Yes and no, regarding the upgrade of a Legendary. First one costs 1250 to get the 190 version. If you HAVE the 190 version, the 210 version costs 750. But if you're starting with the 210 version, it costs 2000. So the cost is the same whether you have an upgrade or not when it comes to Soul Ash.

Level 8 Fracture Chambers is the first time Ive had difficulty clearing the place and ended with only one life left. The end bosses were the real problem for me for floors 2 and 4. I didnt know how to play against them at first, so I died twice to both of them. The damage output if I cant get the stuns/interrupts out is insane and I dont know how a DPS is suppose to have as as many as I do as a prot Pally. The Layer boss was a knock over though - He just phases out and hurts, but not enough to fight the tool kit of a prot pally. The other bosses Im speaking of though, they gain haste the more they get their nuke off and the second one was hitting for about 25% of my HP for each hit. I basically just learned not to use avenging shield or divine toll as damage and relied on them to go along with my other interrupts.

Torghast is boring. I dont know what game that got inspriation from, but it was definitely nothing like Hades or similar. When I think of unique powers (not related to your class or HP/Mana) I can only think of a few and thats like Maw Rat Explosion or similar. Again, they can do soooo much more here but they arent. If they put a chest at the end that was basically a chance at Cosmetics, Gold and Anima - it would at least give some type of acknowledgement that I did something. With as much money as some of the higher tiers of Legendaries cost, Soul Ash doesnt seem like a reward at all.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think one big issue with torghast is you don't basically get anything out of a run that is not successful. There is very low motivation to push yourself to higher floors very much as most of the rewards are baked into the first 4-5 floors. Why waste an hour and not get anything or at best get 40-50 soul ash. Also 6 floors are unfortunately not enough to really start popping off with anima powers unless you are very lucky. In beta the runs lasted long enough that once you were past floor 6 or so you were popping off so hard it was hilarious where you could really start having fun plowing stuff. Now with limited floors you are basically forced to kill every single thing and break every single pot on every floor because you are scrabbling just to get enough anima powers to get to your expected power levels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Thats a good point. Not to keep bringing Hades up, but its relatively fresh in my mind. You didnt really get into some unique build with Hades until you were into layer 2. Im not advocating them extending out the runs cause I think Layer 8 took me around a couple hours to do. But it would be neat if you could somehow save your best run in each previous layer and be able to load whatever you saved into the next layer. So you could, if you wanted, just start the next layer fresh. Or you could load up your saved powers from layer 7 and go into a scaled up layer 8 and continue to gain powers that way.

Or, they could just have an imagination and add more powers that arent directly related to WOW classes - For example, the God Specific boons that Hades has. Dionysus's boons gave this "Drunken" effect. Everywhere you attacked would either shoot out this pink haze that would cause damage and that damage would stack as a dot, a big hit, stay on the floor where you cast it etc. etc. So if I threw my Avenging Shield out and it hit 5 targets, it would leave behind a puddle of drunken haze and the longer enemies stood in it - the more damage they would take from me or a DOT or similar. Rename it or whatever, claim its Corruption - Idgaf.

But right now? Im really just playing a prot pally in a dungeon and Anima Powers are essentially like me getting new talents (which those powers are fucking garbage most of the time), new equipment, or leveling. Blizzard really just needs to get back to what its good at, and thats ripping other games off.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Toghast is conceptually interesting, and could be a good way to keep players invested if they make some pretty substantial changes

to me, it's way too long. It will speed up when players are more geared obviously, but its so fucking boring when you have 4 floors of all elite mobs that takes over an hour to dredge through.
there isn't enough variety in anima upgrades, it gets dull extremely fast because you're always just doing the same shit.
there isn't enough reward for doing it, farming soul ash, and a single time obtained memory is lame as fuck. specially when most people are going to only craft 2 legendaries tops.

If they were to add things like hades, it would be more interesting. Silly shit like making prot paladins have no cooldown on their captain america shield, make disc priests proc consecrate or some shit on things they penance, pyroblast hits all targets around the targeted enemy, shadow dance is permanent, idk. Just dumb shit that is fun.

I'm playing two characters currently and i can't even bother to want to go into torghast already and its only a few weeks into the expansion with how dull it is.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I haven't played Hades yet (probably up next in my queue), but Torghast definitely felt like it had some inspiration from Slay the Spire.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Except I could play Slay for 40 hours without noticing the time, and I'm already sick of Torghast.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Is it me or tyrannical is way harder than fortified? I was pugging 10s last week but this week I m failing 7s on bosses. Also seems like some dps cheesed bosses the previous week without knowing the mechanics. One retadin didnt even know about soaking beams on halls last boss in a +9

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
jayrebb jayrebb cleared layer 8 for Upper Reaches. Tried talent change I read where you don't use animal companion, because having the 2nd pet out reduces the Leech your main one gets by like 35%. I did get some better powers in general, too...and maybe just me being crazy, but felt like having one less pet out reduced how tough all the mobs were? Synod was my final boss, he was a bitch but I had enough damage to beat him before he got too buffed to kill me.

The one anima power that doubles Aspect of the Turtle and lets you attack with it on is pretty invaluable to let you rezz your pet and get aggro back on it with misdirection while it's still up. Other than that, take good damage powers.

Very interesting. It's possible the zone detects the 2nd pet as an additional player. So it's like you're running duo.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm going on a 7 with the talent changes suggested. Also ditched Cobra talent because of possible bugs with leech/scaling. So running 0 talent gimmick pets. Took Barbed shot talent instead.