World of Warcraft: Current Year

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can't plow through the heroic mechanics at ilvl 160.
I see it done all the time in pugs. Only a few fights really have mechanics you can't ignore like the last fight of de other side. Also given the way catchup mechanics work at this point even brand new max levels very rapidly get a full set of 197 main slot stuff and one good weapon by just doing the story stuff.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The tanking meta right now for anything above 15 is kiting....as a tank. It's a huge complaint by the general tanking community, you're not actually tanking. As for abilities on bosses, or hard hitting mobs like the enraged spirits in DoS, if you do not properly line up your cooldowns while thinking about the next pull or boss ability, you are going to brick the key. No, facetanking is not a thing. The only tank that can somewhat say this right now is guardian druid, or a DH (when in metamorphosis specifically).

From a melee dps perspective, the need/ability for the tank to kite shit in high keys is just dumb, and a major reason I quit this xpac so early.

The first M+10 I did, in the first weeks that M+ was released, was with a ~200 ilevel DK tank that had to kite or die. We barely failed it, and after being informed kiting will still be the meta for high keys, I lost all interest in M+ (the kiting bullshit in 15+ keys (depending on how late in the season it was), in that last xpac drove me nuts as well).

So, I decided I would just do raids. Week after week of raiding I was getting 1 to 2 drops per 10 raid bosses, that almost all happened to be the same 3 to 4 slots (belts, gloves, boots, and trinkets (playing with 2 'on use' trinkets was dumb, but higher dps)). Not doing M+ or PvP (the PvPers in the raid were 220+ around 3-4 weeks into the raid) made me fall way behind. So, I lost all interest left in the game.

If 9.1 dropped today, I wouldn't play it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From a melee dps perspective, the need/ability for the tank to kite shit in high keys is just dumb, and a major reason I quit this xpac so early.

The first M+10 I did, in the first weeks that M+ was released, was with a ~200 ilevel DK tank that had to kite or die. We barely failed it, and after being informed kiting will still be the meta for high keys, I lost all interest in M+ (the kiting bullshit in 15+ keys (depending on how late in the season it was), in that last xpac drove me nuts as well).

So, I decided I would just do raids. Week after week of raiding I was getting 1 to 2 drops per 10 raid bosses, that almost all happened to be the same 3 to 4 slots (belts, gloves, boots, and trinkets (playing with 2 'on use' trinkets was dumb, but higher dps)). Not doing M+ or PvP (the PvPers in the raid were 220+ around 3-4 weeks into the raid) made me fall way behind. So, I lost all interest left in the game.

If 9.1 dropped today, I wouldn't play it.

How about how many one-shot mechanics melee trash has at 15 key? Mists for example. Every trash pull has a melee-range one-shot mechanic you can't counterplay.

It was a whiplash to go from Ranged DPS 15 keys to melee dps 15 keys. Neck snapping and absolutely 0 fun, close to quitting at this point myself. Once you see both sides of the coin, it's hard to stick with the current state of gearing.

Another expac that jerked off and celebrated RDPS. And RDPS has been 10-15% above next best melee dps the entire expac. Exact opposite of balance.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah obviously you can't ignore mechanics in mythic difficulty. Some stuff in Vanilla was just mythic difficulty by default though which made it really memorable.

Modern WoW is easy, skippable content, then suddenly really difficult stuff at endgame. The difficulty and progression curves should be smoother.

Xerge

<Donor>
Another expac that jerked off and celebrated RDPS. And RDPS has been 10-15% above next best melee dps the entire expac. Exact opposite of balance.

Current WoW and TESO suffer the same problems. Difficulty goes through the roof for some extreme issues to deal with. Even end game in TESO RDPS wins out -- I absolutely will not bring melee DPS in a vAS+2 hardmode. You will get the fuck out of my raid and come back with a mag toon so you don't hold back 11 others. Sucks, but ppl deal with it. Worse part is technically melee out parses ranged in TESO but due to mechanics and shit, ranged>melee, always.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Sockets, conduits, a bunch of important Torghast upgrade unlocks. I still max out my Maw eye in WM every single day, maybe I'm just fucking crazy but I actually find the Maw to be fairly compelling. It's a difficult outdoor zone that acts as a rubric to measure your gear progress. That zone was scary BRUTAL when I was ilvl 170 and now I feel like a god there at ilvl 223 and yet I can still die there and get in really bad situations especially with the added difficulty of hostile players.

Agree on the Maw, but there's a fine line to balancing difficulty with just being annoying. I like the challenging mobs, the wandering packs and quest structure. I loathe the pointless time sinks, like lack of mounts and those annoying rats that just pester you with no reward :p

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Agree on the Maw, but there's a fine line to balancing difficulty with just being annoying. I like the challenging mobs, the wandering packs and quest structure. I loathe the pointless time sinks, like lack of mounts and those annoying rats that just pester you with no reward :p
You talking the Maw or Torghast? Because Torghast is pretty fucking garbage pacing wise, something I already mentioned.

Daidraco

Torghast is a lost cause. Instead of fixing the core game play, they are adding a currency or something to failed runs and "that'll fix it." That's just part of the problem and people keep repeating the same way to fix the overall issue over and over and it's just falling on deaf ears. Management is so far up its own ass at Blizzard now that it makes it annoying to enjoy the game sometimes knowing that they'll benefit from you playing. Just like itemization being aids this season for PVE and they're patting themselves on the back that PVP is so "popular." Complaints from people on Reddit that dont like PVP because they are so far behind those that do in item level for example.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
You talking the Maw or Torghast? Because Torghast is pretty fucking garbage pacing wise, something I already mentioned.
I know there's rats in Torghast, but theres a bunch in Maw as well, only now you don't get random 'kill rats for this buff', it's just a time sink lol.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1614879764164.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Rustled
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 7 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Is each tick a reset week? Why do the red arrows not match up with the ticks, patches never drop mid week, wtf.

Daidraco

I dont get the ticks either. There was almost four months in beween release and the first major patch of bfa.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks like the 9.0.5 patch comes out tuesday so thats about a week earlier than I was expecting. I figured it had gone this long they were going to wait for current renown stuff to end before doing it. Big question is how long after that is pushed till they put 9.1 out on ptr.

Daidraco

Wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see anything on ptr for another 3 months. They are going super slow this expac.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The Covenant content ends next week. If they don't have *something* queued up to jump in immediately afterwards then they are truly stupid.

It's such an obvious and natural 'end point' that you have to expect people will say 'yeah I'm done now...' in massive numbers. How can that ever get past a design review? Who is executive producing this thing? Do they not like money?

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Seems like the best use of anyone that actually plays retail is to simply play 2 months at expansion launch and 2 months at expansion end. Any more and you are just punching yourself in the dick.

• 3Truth!
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
To be clear, the covenant 'content' ended weeks ago.
Blizz has finally become mercenary enough to acknowledge that pets, mounts, appearances, etc. are the only thing with any longterm 'value' and have locked them behind timegates or covenant specific drops (to artificially cut the number of chances you get per day) to pad out the time until players catch them all.
At this point, the only thing left is unlocking covenant buildings, and clearly they were attriting the casuals hard given the increases in anima they're handing out everywhere.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems like the best use of anyone that actually plays retail is to simply play 2 months at expansion launch and 2 months at expansion end. Any more and you are just punching yourself in the dick.
Honestly I think the normal play style for a large chunk of the playerbase is 2 months after launch and every major patch update which probably is a solid way to get the full experience without burning out.

• 1Truth!