World of Warcraft: Current Year

Rime

<Donor>
I'm still assuming that we come back from Shadowlands and something like 300 years have passed on Azeroth and everyone goes 'who the fuck are you people??'
This has been the wish/guess of many people. But I doubt they (Blizzard) could pull it off with the current crew. It would (likely) require a reworking of plenty of the 'old world' and we all know how well that went with the player base in Cataclysm.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
They've laid off so many employees between now and Legion. I wouldn't be shocked to find out they are working with a skeleton crew, scrambling to get the next patch in some kind of playable state. It was pretty telling that they had nothing to show during Blizzcon besides a couple screenshots.

They are probably going to WoD this expansion and start working on the next. We'll get 9.2 in Jan/Feb of 2022 (or whenever s FF14 update is coming out around then) and that will be the final patch of SL.
Definitely feels like WOD in a lot of ways. Wait a second, so did BFA! Can't wait for the next WOD expansion in 2022!!! Take my $$$$

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They've laid off so many employees between now and Legion. I wouldn't be shocked to find out they are working with a skeleton crew, scrambling to get the next patch in some kind of playable state. It was pretty telling that they had nothing to show during Blizzcon besides a couple screenshots.

They are probably going to WoD this expansion and start working on the next. We'll get 9.2 in Jan/Feb of 2022 (or whenever s FF14 update is coming out around then) and that will be the final patch of SL.
They should do a micro-expansion called The Voyage Home where we we get lost in some rift at the climax of Shadowlands and visit some strange planets/planes on the way back from the Shadowlands.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Expansions with minimal content patches sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially with their philosophy of “your character only has these abilities for this expansion only” that started in Legion. They might as well call it season 17 or whatever.

• 1Truth!

Juvarisx

Florida
They could pull it off if they turned Azeroth into Outlands or something where its essentially small pieces of the continents taken over by the Void Lords or whoever floating in the void

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm telling you guys, Evil Gnomish Hackers are going to try to hack into the WoW servers to gain ultimate power over the the multiverse by controlling the source code, and unleash glitched versions of all old raid bosses upon the world.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You know what would be really cool is for them to release an expansion... you know the whole fucking thing with all the shit included from day one instead of time gating patch .1,.2,.3 bullshit. Of course this would mean people would proceed through the content at their own pace.. Oh the horror the fucking horror.. some guilds would be behind a raid or two and get poached... once again the horror the fucking horror.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

You need a steady content stream or people get bored and stop playing. The trick is to make it good, engaging content. Not “grind dailies for 3 months”

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just refuse to blame the pace of patching on COVID. Every other MMO is still pushing shit out in a semi-timely manner.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How hard is it to make a linear dungeon? They should be putting out a 4 boss dungeon every month.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
How hard is it to make a linear dungeon? They should be putting out a 4 boss dungeon every month.

Can we get more shit like this instead?

velketors_labyrinth_deadzed_lisfin.jpg

lower_guk_deadzed.jpg

sebilis_zealott.jpg

nagafens_lair_mapsmod.jpg

brdmapg.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You know what would be really cool is for them to release an expansion... you know the whole fucking thing with all the shit included from day one instead of time gating patch .1,.2,.3 bullshit. Of course this would mean people would proceed through the content at their own pace.. Oh the horror the fucking horror.. some guilds would be behind a raid or two and get poached... once again the horror the fucking horror.

But then they wouldn't be able to charge over $150 in sub fees + $39.99 for the price of the initial expansion hovering around an average of $189.99 per player for 25 hours at best of content over a year.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
But then they wouldn't be able to charge over $150 in sub fees + $39.99 for the price of the initial expansion hovering around an average of $189.99 per player for 25 hours at best of content over a year.
TBC released with plenty of content in the game and it saw the biggest increase in MMO subs in the entire history of the genre. You make a non-shit time gated game and people will throw money at it.

• 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
TBC released with plenty of content in the game and it saw the biggest increase in MMO subs in the entire history of the genre. You make a non-shit time gated game and people will throw money at it.

My worry is that with choices made during Wrath and beyond, they turned it into a lobby game like it was on console or something. Could we even imagine them having the raid keying process from TBC nowadays? Something you actually worked towards and had reasons to run guildies through dungeons rather than just for your Vault reward once you're done your 1 or 4 or 10 a week. Actual progression.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They are unable to.

I imagine that they have layers of bureaucracy to get anything done and pretentious egomanic managers who are more into internal politics than gaming.

Blizzard died for me when they had a D3 Blizzcon panel showing their process for making legendary items. It was 3 fat guys stood around a whiteboard brainstorming, surely you just program some stuff using the dev tools then have a QA session looking at what everyone made and iterating/accepting the best?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I did think this would be an interesting way to do WoW 2...especially if the only way out of the Shadowlands is to be reincarnated. We land back on Azeroth in the distant future at level 1 and surrounded by very strange things including whole new classes etc.

PVP turns into a gang-warfare sort of thing or a professional sport acknowledging the way Arenas already are etc.