World of Warcraft: Current Year

Cybsled

Why is TBC preferred over Classic so hard?

If I had to guess:

1) Dranaei and Blood Elves
2) Horde gets Paladin, Alliance gets Shaman
3) Raids that were even more exclusive than Classic (inflated e-peen)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
and you get bonus hipster points by saying TBC instead of WotLK, which is the actual undisputed zenith of WoW.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Friday the 13th is a decent slasher flick before that genre had really crystalized but when you go back and watch it you get towards the end and it's like, oh right. Pamela Voorhees is the killer in this one. Hell, Jason doesn't even get his fucking mask until Friday the 13th 3D (the third one). It's like that but with MMOs.

Everquest is Halloween

• 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
This is why 234134534 difficulty settings and 234413243143113421234132 ilvl increases per tier ruins this game.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
and you get bonus hipster points by saying TBC instead of WotLK, which is the actual undisputed zenith of WoW.

Still prefer TBC overall, even if the "zenith" was during Wrath. Certain design ideas they made during Wrath's lifetime had negative effects that rippled forward.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Ya, I watched Towliee's video and thats what he had heard from someone that worked at/with Blizzard. June was a pipe dream.

Welp, 5.5 in 2 weeks on FFXIV, 7 Remake DLC in June, and FFXIV expansion in Fall for me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If there's no new content until August they might as well shutdown the retail servers for maintenance.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Certain design ideas they made during Wrath's lifetime had negative effects that rippled forward.
WotLK definitely started the ball rolling on class homogenization, but when it was first implemented it seemed more like organizing a giant mess rather than making all the classes samey.

• 1Like

Merrith

WotLK definitely started the ball rolling on class homogenization, but when it was first implemented it seemed more like organizing a giant mess rather than making all the classes samey.

Other stuff too, like easy as fuck heroics, way too many raid difficulties, LFG which eventually brought about LFR too, the whole dual token current/catch up system rather than having actual gear progression.

I agree some of it seemed to work within Wrath, like phasing after completion of dailies and such, but they went in bad directions with that later on.

• 3Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Other stuff too, like easy as fuck heroics, way too many raid difficulties, LFG which eventually brought about LFR too, the whole dual token current/catch up system rather than having actual gear progression.

I agree some of it seemed to work within Wrath, like phasing after completion of dailies and such, but they went in bad directions with that later on.
Yeah but that's like blaming Deep Space Nine for the shitty Star Trek that came out after it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Hearing potentially 9.1 not until August?
It's almost like the absurd amount of anima need to complete just _one_ covenant and the covenant specific drops are there just to pad out the amount of time before you finish collecting all the 9.0 mounts/pets/etc., or something. Weird!

And I have to think that whatever 10.0 is was already being storyboarded when this launch started, and I really doubt if there will even be a 9.3. Probably a 9.25 that adds a mini raid or another valor-boost type system , but they'll just cut to killing the jailer in 9.2 and push anything else into 10.

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1WTF
  • 1Truth!

Merrith

It's almost like the absurd amount of anima need to complete just _one_ covenant and the covenant specific drops are there just to pad out the amount of time before you finish collecting all the 9.0 mounts/pets/etc., or something. Weird!

And I have to think that whatever 10.0 is was already being storyboarded when this launch started, and I really doubt if there will even be a 9.3. Probably a 9.25 that adds a mini raid or another valor-boost type system , but they'll just cut to killing the jailer in 9.2 and push anything else into 10.

People will start hyping up 10.0 as the new Legion!

• 1Worf

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
the whole dual token current/catch up system rather than having actual gear progression.
I think that one started with TBC with gear tokens and buyable gear to pad out progression for drops you weren't lucky with. With how popular the system was in TBC they probably drew the wrong conclusions from it and beefed it up in WotLK.

One of the reasons may have been that the progression in WotLK was a bit wonky: Naxx too easy, Ulduar replaced too early, the whole Argent Tournament with Trial of the Crusader boring, and ICC taking far too long in the expansion cycle.

Merrith

I think that one started with TBC with gear tokens and buyable gear to pad out progression for drops you weren't lucky with. With how popular the system was in TBC they probably drew the wrong conclusions from it and beefed it up in WotLK.

One of the reasons may have been that the progression in WotLK was a bit wonky: Naxx too easy, Ulduar replaced too early, the whole Argent Tournament with Trial of the Crusader boring, and ICC taking far too long in the expansion cycle.

The tokens in TBC were the start of welfare epics for the most part. People who couldn't raid or whatever they added shit for clearing dungeons. But that was at the very end of the expansion so it didn't have as big of an effect. At one point when Trial of the Crusader was out they had 4 different tokens you could collect, that eventually (I think with the ICC patch?) got condensed into the 2 tiers.

Agree with some of the raid pacing issues.