World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Its funny how some mmo players are. Its as if their game will DIE if they dont go and spread the gospel.
It's not only that. Some are really butthurt when some streamers decide to play something else. Here's a prime example of total derangement:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
It's not only that. Some are really butthurt when some streamers decide to play something else. Here's a prime example of total derangement:

Some of the WoW playerbase has such an unhealthy relationship with the game it is mind-boggling.

Recently saw a Quaazi vid where he said he was catching up on a lot of games he never played because basically he's played ONLY WoW for the last 15 years. And it"s not the first time I heard something like that from WoW players.

You have a bunch of now early late 20s / early 30s people who started WoW in their teens and basically have been playing only WoW since then. Like, who the fuck does that? These are not gamers, they don't play games, they only play WoW.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't know when you have played the last time, but this has been greatly improved in retail WoW. You respawn inside the instance, you have shortcuts, and you can reset some bosses and mass rezz people.

Also, rebuffing shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, and buffing is a "feel good dopamine release" part of the core WoW gameplay loop. People in WoW actually want things like that, e.g. "Mark of the Wild" from druids.
I know they improved it a bit, but I still had a Castle Nathria LFR fall apart after one wipe while everyone was running back.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
And there is the problem: LFR is now for the raiders from those "normal mode" family and friends type guilds that want to be carried to loot. One wipe tells them it's not going to happen, so they quit.

My theory is that the difficulty of the raid is not the issue, nor is it the type of raid. The problem seems to be that WoW has lost the playerbase that used to carry these low performers through LFR. World first raiders and successful guilds aren't going to touch LFR.

Fucker

Log Wizard
And there is the problem: LFR is now for the raiders from those "normal mode" family and friends type guilds that want to be carried to loot. One wipe tells them it's not going to happen, so they quit.

My theory is that the difficulty of the raid is not the issue, nor is it the type of raid. The problem seems to be that WoW has lost the playerbase that used to carry these low performers through LFR. World first raiders and successful guilds aren't going to touch LFR.
It has been eons since I was on LFR. People were wiping on yard trash.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FF14 sucks dick. Stupid story, shit gameplay, fuck you.
1626073775432.gif

• 15Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 15 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
LFR and Alliance roulette are basically the same thing. Big stupid zerg fests where as long as there are no mechanics, it goes well. As soon as you get an instance with any mechanics shit spirals out of control. It even has the same 'run back' with teleports.

You can't have interesting/difficult large scale group content through matchmaking. It has to be tourism mode because any fight that requires personal responsibility will wall the group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Alliance raids in FF are always tough weeks 1-2 because people are still learning the mechanics

Stormblood and Shadowbringers especially . EW felt fairly easy in comparison except for trolls on Thal and the weight balance mechanic

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"How dare you seek out entertainment during these content droughts!" *shakes shoulderpad angrily*

• 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Some of the WoW playerbase has such an unhealthy relationship with the game it is mind-boggling.

Recently saw a Quaazi vid where he said he was catching up on a lot of games he never played because basically he's played ONLY WoW for the last 15 years. And it"s not the first time I heard something like that from WoW players.

You have a bunch of now early late 20s / early 30s people who started WoW in their teens and basically have been playing only WoW since then. Like, who the fuck does that? These are not gamers, they don't play games, they only play WoW.
This was pretty much me. When I was a kid I started Civ and just played that until EverQuest, then WoW replaced EverQuest. Could never muster the interest to do anything more than dabble (like, sub three hours) in anything else.

Malkav

French Madman
This was pretty much me. When I was a kid I started Civ and just played that until EverQuest, then WoW replaced EverQuest. Could never muster the interest to do anything more than dabble (like, sub three hours) in anything else.

Like, how much did you play WoW, even during long content draughts? Or had you any other hobbies?

I just can't fathom people being that captive by the game on that level.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have other hobbies, just not really video games. I was with the same guild for about 14 years, and we all just kept playing regardless of the droughts, once mains were geared out we'd switch to alts. Weekly play up until the guild broke up and everyone quit in BFA was like 20-30 hours a week depending on how much outside of raid stuff was fun/needed doing. Last "poop-socking" was Mythic Nzoth which we did like 4 nights in a row for weeks to get down, like 350 wipes. First time we ever took a "post-boss-kill break" was after killing Ghuun, so that was probably a sign of the end :)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm

I wasn’t quite that bad but from about 05 to 18, WoW was the vast majority of my gaming. I had friends still playing off and on. It still played well and I had an unhealthy attachment to my three primary characters.

I still took time out to say play a new zelda game. Or we played about a year and a half of SWTOR. And we played some rift and gw2. But by and large we played a lot of WoW.

Now I’m working back through old catalogues and it’s painful due to graphics at times but yeah like I never played most of the pS3/360 Gen and missed a good chunk of the pS4 Gen.

08-late 21? Path of exile. Religiously. Even played standard.

I do have a tendency to get attached. I leveled all my FF2 (4) characters to 99 on snes before I allowed myself to beat it. I don’t know why. It made the final zones a joke. But it took serious perseverance and poop socking.

BotW and Elden Ring are the most recent non-mmo games that left me hollow once done. And that was a problem with WoW. I remember the end of Wrath thinking this is it. This will never get better. And I was right.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

You missed some great lead-ins to EverQuest by Jon Van Caneghem. The first person to model a 3D open world in an RPG setting.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If there is ever a truly great MMO that goes the distance I'd likely never play anything else either so I understand the mindset. Luckily they all have their dogshit moments and I quit. It's still my most played genre by far. At least 4 real life years out of the last 25 which is insane every time I think about it.

Combined non MMORPGs (including CRPG/ARPG/JRPG) and fighting games (SF/MK/Tekken) are probably my next two highest especially if you include all the hours I spent in arcades for fighting games when that was still a thing.

Monster Hunter series is ~2k hours throughout its lifetime.

Nothing else comes close as I never became an FPS addict after peaking in Starsiege Tribes back in 98'.

People putting thousands upon thousands of hours into stuff like Skyrim/Elden Ring and other single playerish games are nuts to me though. Fun to play through once or so, but even with mods and shit what could you possibly be doing at that point if you aren't some speed running autist.

Cybsled

The only single player stuff that ever kept me playing for a long time was the stuff with base building or an insane mod community

• 1Pathetic

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd like to say that if I could have back all the hours I put into MMO's since "The Realm" - I would be a graduate student make big boy bank. But I already know I would have wasted my time doing something else lul.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
God damnit. I have nothing to play at the moment and actually find myself more than idly curious about Dragonflight.

I need help.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
God damnit. I have nothing to play at the moment and actually find myself more than idly curious about Dragonflight.

I need help.

Take a $50 bill and light it on fire. You just recreated dragonflight with the added benefit of all your disappointment happening in just the spam of a few seconds instead of a few months.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 6 users