World of Warcraft: Current Year

Nola

Trakanon Raider
How are hunters looking this expansion so far? I know mages are high on the dps charts but I always liked the hunter class. I'm looking to play a ranged dps alt when I don't feel like tanking. Plus I like to solo old world content for gold and transmogs. So play a hunter or Mage?

sebur

Bronze Squire
Hunters are in a good spot. I Would say which ever you prefer the most, either way you can't go wrong.

I have a stupid question for some of you that were talking about unlocking mission by completing 15 normal bosses/heroic bosses etc. LFR doesn't count towards the "normal" count does it? Was explaining the idea to my friends and they asked that question to which I couldn't find an answer.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
LFR definitely does not count towards unlocking heroic missions.
No, but then neither is LFR required to unlock normal raid missions. When they explained a bit the raid missions, it seemed like you would need to do some LFR, but apparently not. First raid popped the day after my followers started hitting 645.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Monk is still good, note that maxing out monk DPS requires 2 PC PvP gear and a jump + roll macro to trigger the bonus without actually moving. You can't skip it, it's like a 20% DPS increase and you'll never replace the gear, not even in BRF.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Awesome. What about them as raid tanks? The ones I've played with have been awesome
Best or second best behind Warriors, if played well. Quite a bit harder than the other tanks. Would be best, but all HM leather has haste on it which is a useless stat for BrM.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll never understand why people downplay the strength of DK tanks. Anybody can hold threat and eat the damage, but DKs completely ignore a whole bunch of mechanics and often top the meters for dps on fights with adds. They might get spiked a little harder than a warrior or paladin, but it's not enough to kill them if they are geared for the content, and it's not a strain on the healers because of how much self-healing they are able to put out with Death Strike/Blood Shield. The only real drawback Blood has is that while every other class got abilities and hotkeys pruned in WoD, DKs somehow ended up with more shit to bind than ever before.

Makes sense. A lot of the kd tank gear has shit like crit. Wondering if I should transfer my warr too
That's just first-tier, intentionally shitty itemization (unless you're a warrior who wants crit). By the end of BRF you can have a full set of gear focused almost entirely on mastery and multistrike, a little bit of haste and versatility, and basically no crit at all.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've leveled mine to 94 and like it. Just finding it hard atm to push through to 100 for a 5th time.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I'll never understand why people downplay the strength of DK tanks. Anybody can hold threat and eat the damage, but DKs completely ignore a whole bunch of mechanics and often top the meters for dps on fights with adds. They might get spiked a little harder than a warrior or paladin, but it's not enough to kill them if they are geared for the content, and it's not a strain on the healers because of how much self-healing they are able to put out with Death Strike/Blood Shield. The only real drawback Blood has is that while every other class got abilities and hotkeys pruned in WoD, DKs somehow ended up with more shit to bind than ever before.

That's just first-tier, intentionally shitty itemization (unless you're a warrior who wants crit). By the end of BRF you can have a full set of gear focused almost entirely on mastery and multistrike, a little bit of haste and versatility, and basically no crit at all.
My Monk puts up 600k Guards at full resolve, how much do DK tanks heal themselves for? Monks in HM Mythic gear also have 60% Stagger and Serenity provides enough Chi for you to purify every single melee hit if you want, making it a full 60% damage reduction. Then on top of that there's a the 45% dodge active mitigation cooldown which puts the active mitigation of every other class to shame. On Butcher, I'm below the melee DPS in damage taken, no kidding. If I'm co-tanking with a Paladin or Druid my damage taken will be 40% of theirs if we're the same ilvl. Warriors compete mainly on EHP and the fact that Heroic Leap is retardedly good in Highmaul. EHP has been king for every expansion prior to this and a lot of healers simply prefer healing the flat, non-spiky, big bag o' hitpoints even if they do take quite a bit more damage overall.

Monks are mainly held back by the fact that Haste is not just a bad stat, it's a stat that does literally nothing other than a tiny increase to DPS. You have enough chi to purify every melee hit with 0 Haste, more chi generation does not help you at this point.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Was thinking about rolling a monk soon too. They look like fun.
They are a huge amount of fun to play and Ive quit playing other classes twice to come back to Monk. Just keep in mind that it seems like developers want the DPS monks strength to come from Storm, Earth and Fire combined with Spinning Crane Kick. Thats all fine and dandy, but gear checks and bosses in general often come in the form of single target dps races or other anti-AoE mechanics. I could let SEF go nuts during Ko'ragh or Imperator for example, and I would be number 1 dps every time but I'll also wipe the raid in about 5 seconds too. Tectus is about the only fight you can really let loose on, but as a melee you're dodging shit left and right. Being able to Touch of Death for 300,000+ damage single target at the end of a fight seems to be their remedy to buffing single target damage. Classes that excel at single target - mobile ranged dps, like always, will continue to be one step ahead of everyone else.

Like what was just stated though - Brewmaster Monks went from being the worst tank this expansion to quite possibly the best.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My Monk puts up 600k Guards at full resolve, how much do DK tanks heal themselves for?
Here's an example of DK healing/shielding on Butcher:
00:02:26.884 Paroxysm Death Strike Paroxysm +108230
00:02:27.275 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 5912 damage of The Butcher's The Cleaver on Paroxysm
00:02:27.562 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 57335 damage of The Butcher's Melee on Paroxysm
00:02:27.562 Paroxysm's Blood Shield fades from Paroxysm (Remaining: 0)
00:02:29.932 Paroxysm Death Strike Paroxysm +130628
00:02:30.576 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 76336 damage of The Butcher's Melee on Paroxysm
00:02:30.576 Paroxysm's Blood Shield fades from Paroxysm (Remaining: 0)
00:02:35.087 Paroxysm Death Strike Paroxysm +136727
00:02:35.634 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 2838 damage of The Butcher's The Cleaver on Paroxysm
00:02:36.148 Paroxysm Healing Tonic Paroxysm +227539 (O: 3736)
00:02:36.307 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 52102 damage of The Butcher's Heavy Handed on Paroxysm
00:02:36.391 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 24922 damage of The Butcher's Heavy Handed on Paroxysm
00:02:36.594 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 38 damage of The Butcher's The Cleaver on Paroxysm
00:02:36.594 Paroxysm's Blood Shield fades from Paroxysm (Remaining: 0)
00:02:40.547 Paroxysm Death Strike Paroxysm +38433 (O: 168618)
00:02:40.621 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 5203 damage of The Butcher's The Cleaver on Paroxysm
00:02:40.725 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 38453 damage of The Butcher's Heavy Handed on Paroxysm
00:02:40.725 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 72618 damage of The Butcher's Heavy Handed on Paroxysm
00:02:41.599 Paroxysm's Blood Shield absorbs 4716 damage of The Butcher's The Cleaver on Paroxysm
00:02:41.599 Paroxysm's Blood Shield fades from Paroxysm (Remaining: 0)
He has just shy of 60% mastery when raid buffed, so his blood shields are like 58.5% the size of the direct heal from Death Strike. Death Strike gets used about once every 4 seconds over the course of a fight (due to rune pooling it's actually more bursty than that, but in the end 55-60 DS in a 4 minute fight is typical). Blood shield gives no fucks about overhealing either, you always get the full amount even if the DS is wasted. The 207k one isn't his biggest either; he landed a 220k one shortly before the fight ended.

And yes, I know I cherry-picked from the logs of one of the best DKs in the world. It's still a good approximation of what mere mortals will be able to do once they get access to BRF gear that is properly itemized.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I mean while xeq can claim taking less damage than melee, on a heroic butcher kill I was the #1 spot in healing as blood tanking. It's difficult to quantify the difference between the two. I've never run into a situation where I was unable to tank somethig specifixally because of my class

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I went Warrior this time around after doing druid in TBC and Monk in Pandaria... too many expansion where I ended up being envious of warrior tanks, haha. That we can even have this discussion bodes well for overall tank balance, though.

Zastlyn

Peasant
And yes, I know I cherry-picked from the logs of one of the best DKs in the world. It's still a good approximation of what mere mortals will be able to do once they get access to BRF gear that is properly itemized.
I've been healing with my Resto sham since WOTLK and DK's aren't nearly as spikey as they were compared to other tanks. I think personally that the way most mechanics are these days most tanks are spikey. Even Wars/pallies. The only tank I hate healing this xpac are Druids. The rest i'm completely fine with. Which is honestly a huge improvement.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Love pally tanking this expansion. Popping seraphim and gaining an additional 1000 bonus armor, versatility and mastery makes me feel invincible. It really comes in handy when I'm about to take a huge amount of damage. Especially using it with glyphed divine protection is god mode.