World of Warcraft: Current Year

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure its an unpopular opinion. But when I came back from WoW vanilla to WoD it felt like add-ons almost played the game for me.
Not sure what crazy addons you are installing. I've never felt like addons play the game for me or even came close.

@ above. Such troll. Though gnome monk would be hilarious.

xzi

Mouthbreather
The only addon I swear by and I HATE playing the game without is Clique, specifically for healing. Being able to heal by hovering over the target without having to click on their unit frame is just far more efficient. Plus being able to DPS and not having to untarget to heal is amazing. I know there's macros in the game for doing the same thing but by now I wish they would just add it as an official option.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I'm sure its an unpopular opinion. But when I came back from WoW vanilla to WoD it felt like add-ons almost played the game for me.
Seriously. Add-ons in WoW are out of control, but most won't admit it. The current state of WoW is add-ons are now mandatory. You have add-ons telling when to move, when to cast, what the boss will do and when he will do it, how to gear, when things spawn, etc.....

Its a joke. But the circle jerk will continue as WoW subscribers continue to slide. The only thing you should be allowed to mod is your visual interface.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The treasure add-on also made finding hidden treasures across the world pretty bland. Grant you people back then would just go to Thottbot and look at a map to see where they all are at but having it in-game made it so much easier. At least with Thott you had to sort of hunt it via a treasure map. With the add-on it told you in game if you were standing ontop of it or not.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Seriously. Add-ons in WoW are out of control, but most won't admit it. The current state of WoW is add-ons are now mandatory. You have add-ons telling when to move, when to cast, what the boss will do and when he will do it, how to gear, when things spawn, etc.....
Yep, which is why everyone currently subscribed has downed all Mythic Content. Because mods that have been around in various forms since vanilla totally made the game babymode.

Amusingly, the mods that tell you what to cast and how to gear generally are shit and result in a worse performing player. Ask Mr Robot is the leading cause of Shit DPS Syndrome. There were a few times the "castme" mods were actually game-trivializing, but that was generally the automated ones that just gave you one big button to hit every 1.5s (since banned by blizzard) or the period of time where Druid's priority tree was ludicrously complicated to the point where the add-on was better at quickly navigating it than 99% of human pilots, regardless of "skilz," which lead to Blizzard pruning the actual gameplay model, rather than the add-on. They also did have an add-on that told people where to move and when, and Blizzard intentionally broke that shit.

I mean shit, even Omen is basically meaningless these days, since the only way anyone pulls aggro is by being 50 ilvls higher than the tank, or the tank's passed out drunk on the couch with his blood-boil key duct-taped down. DBM, Weak Auras, and Grid/Clique/Healbot addon of choice to make healing not a fucking awful interface is pretty much all that's needed in raiding, and Weakaura's just to move buff/debuff/cooldown timers from the edges of the screen towards the middle where non-fish-eyed humans can easily keep track of them.

DavivMcD

Peasant
A DoT tracker or a boss timer is long fucking way from 'playing the game for you'. Hell, you left after literally the 2 worst offenders in this regard were already in the game: Healbot + Decursive; the original versions where you just hit one hotkey to do everything.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Though gnome monk would be hilarious.
B4ZIkNa.png

Zastlyn

Peasant
I think Addons became a pandoras box for blizz, especially the DPS meters. It made no one want to play the more support oriented classes/specs. Shamans feeling left out even though BL+totems were fucking awesome. for example.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm

Its a joke. But the circle jerk will continue as WoW subscribers continue to slide. The only thing you should be allowed to mod is your visual interface.
Raids are tuned to stress players with stuff like DBM and Weakauras in mind.

It still took initial guilds 600+ pulls to kill Mythic Archimonde and current guilds somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 given current gear levels ... pretty sure there's no auto-pilot mode.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's an auto pilot mode, and a lot of people got their accounts suspended for 6 months for using it!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think a more realistic complaint is that you need too many add ons to raid and it would be nice if they broke DBM and some of the others and developed raids around the stock ui and not around DBM. They talk about not wanting you to play your UI with some of the new class specs, that is exactly what you are doing when you raid.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I don't think they could break DBM without a radical reversal of design philosophy (random events) and action tracking. DBM is really just an event based timer system and relative position tracker. Although they did make the position tracking more robust recently. Now you can see your position relative to the environment (ie not just other players), and that definitely helped on quite a few fights in HFC.
'
I agree that you shouldn't need so many addons to raid, but I'm skeptical that they are going to be changing up that formula at this point in the game's life. I'd be more than happy to admit I'm wrong if they do change it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think a more realistic complaint is that you need too many add ons to raid and it would be nice if they broke DBM and some of the others and developed raids around the stock ui and not around DBM. They talk about not wanting you to play your UI with some of the new class specs, that is exactly what you are doing when you raid.
To be fair, Blizzard has consistently 'tried' to add features to the UI to attempt to streamline and update needed functionality. Not enough, mind you, but it has attempted to do so.

I also agree, my biggest problem with the mods aren't that 'man I just love this HuD and that timer mod' it's you need THREE HUNDRED mods to make a UI work properly. Raid frames are shit, need new ones. Panels are gross, need new ones. Hud is weak, need more info. Bags are archaic, need one. Bars aren't flexible, need a bar mode. Cast bars too small? Grab one of those too.

Just goes on and on. The only thing Blizz could do at this point is probably embrace mods and remove Curse from the equation. Vet them, auto DL/update through the launcher, by default control newbie experience by disabling broken shit that just errors out has memory leaks, etc. That way it would be literally, set up your UI once... load the game and have fun.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I feel like I have a small mod load but without them I "cannot" play.

shadow_uf for unit frames
Bagnon for bags
Bartender for bars
DBM for boss mods
SexyMap to fix up the minimap
Prat to make the chat semi useful
Master Plan for garrison
TipTac for tooltips
Atlasloot to see what the bosses have

All that is pretty much my bare minimum to even be able to log on and move around.