World of Warcraft: Current Year

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Raids are tuned to stress players with stuff like DBM and Weakauras in mind..
When the game reaches a place where encounters are being tuned to players with the mods they are using in mind, its time to admit mods have gone too far.

xzi

Mouthbreather
They're not entirely though, we not have the ingame boss journal to see exactly what the boss will do and cast, followed by far more visual and audio cues than we've ever had in the past. (raising their arms in the air to cast something, etc). You can play the game just fine without DBM, but DBM makes things far easier to focus.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel like I have a small mod load but without them I "cannot" play.

shadow_uf for unit frames
Bagnon for bags
Bartender for bars
DBM for boss mods
SexyMap to fix up the minimap
Prat to make the chat semi useful
Master Plan for garrison
TipTac for tooltips
Atlasloot to see what the bosses have

All that is pretty much my bare minimum to even be able to log on and move around.
I don't think atlasloot is needed anymore with the dungeon journal. The rest are pretty good though, especially master plan. Garrison is an unworkable slog w/o MP.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't think atlasloot is needed anymore with the dungeon journal. The rest are pretty good though, especially master plan. Garrison is an unworkable slog w/o MP.
I keep it around for some of the old stuff and I like the way it's small and lightweight compared to the dungeon journal. It has rep rewards and all that also.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
When the game reaches a place where encounters are being tuned to players with the mods they are using in mind, its time to admit mods have gone too far.
How is it "going too far" when proliferation of 3rd party mods was exactly the design goal? The WoW API was exposed specifically to foster the kind of customization we see. It's all part of the plan.

Frankly, I much prefer that model than locked-down or rigid systems that some other MMOs have, where you're very constrained in terms of what you can move, resize, hide etc. It's just different philosophies; sometimes they even overlap - in FFXIV, there are clearly delineated lines overlayed on the ground where "fire" is about to drop. The closest WoW ever got to that was AVR, back in the day, and the data that facilitated that kind of visualization was eventually hidden. Does that kind of graphic go too far? In one game it does, in the other it doesn't (and is native to the game!), but you can't judge each in isolation based on that fact alone.

To rephrase what I said earlier, it's the overall sophistication of the raid scene (including tools) that pushes encounters to higher difficulty with additional stressors - stuff like Warcraft Logs Combat Replay or Problems Pane features didn't exist a couple of years ago, but now that they do, bosses aren't falling over any faster. As shitty as the vast majority of WoD was, the actual raid bosses were strong as ever.

Also - people really underestimate the visual and room cues available to the raid. We have some dudes who raid with very minimalist setups and one guy who used no add-ons whatsoever. Granted, he was insanely good, but the point is, it's up to you to consume whatever amount of 3rd party shit you want.

Semi-related - here's a video of the no-mod guy doing one of our Heroic Garrosh re-kills in 1st person mode:

First Person WoW - Garrosh 25 Heroic - YouTube

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They should just make it part of the stock UI

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That video....Jesus. I started getting motion sick or having a seizure. Couldn't tell which

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
B4ZIkNa.png
I think my friend has a gnome monk named something like gnutkicker.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are only two mods I ever use and most of the time I don't have them active. DBM when I am in a hard core raiding mood as its pretty much necessary for tanks/healers to do their jobs. Tanks to see times to taunt/switch and heads up on bigger attacks and healers because they are concentrating so much on everybody else nice to have loud warnings when they are themselves in danger.

Other than that pretty much just a DPS meter for when I am trying new builds to fine tune my play.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bullshit. Fistweaving did what it had to do perfectly in MoP, offering lower throughput, but speeding up kills considerably. It was nerfed a bit in the damage department, but still useful during WoD. Cutting it is being just fucking lazy.
Fistweaving also made soloing in mistweaver form pretty fun. It is not as fast as pure DPS but it was stupidly safe and I could kill some crazy stuff without much danger.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fistweaving also made soloing in mistweaver form pretty fun. It is not as fast as pure DPS but it was stupidly safe and I could kill some crazy stuff without much danger.
Also, not to be forgotten because I think it was its most prominent feature: it was fun.

Addons: DBM and GTFO are very useful when I decide to torture myself tanking raids, Recount and I are having a love relationship since years and I believe I can't play at all without Xperl Unit Frames and Bartender.
There is also a mod I truly love, which is Altoholic that keeps track of everything: where are items, tradeskill cooldowns, etc for all my gang.
I've been unsubbed for a while, I feel like playing again. Damn.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Fistweaving going away is the one legion change that's sort of puzzling to me. Igetthe disc change. Reliance on shielding just became too much of a balance issue. But melee healing was the monk niche and I'm sure there were plenty of monks that enjoyed that aspect of it. I know our one did and he's already starting to gear up his legion reroll.

I just don't know why they would ever remove something completely. Monks are already one of the lesser played classes and that's going to be even more extreme next year.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wonder what the rogue population will look like after the pirate spec gets added. I'd prefer to play my rogue in Legion but if there are a million I may just go with my Warrior. Even if I found warrior tanking tedious.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder what the rogue population will look like after the pirate spec gets added. I'd prefer to play my rogue in Legion but if there are a million I may just go with my Warrior. Even if I found warrior tanking tedious.
I'd expect rogue pops to rise but I don't think we'll ever see the imbalances the game had in the past.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Demon Hunter is going to put a solid dent in the rogue population.
Oh yeah. Definitely.

If you're coming back and want to raid and aren't completely tied to a class, pick something ranged. Mythic guilds need ranged classes because everyone wants to play melee. I haven't been subbed out once as a warlock where our melee DPS essentially have a rotation.