World of Warcraft: Current Year

Mryd

Golden Knight of the Realm
So for just about ever I have played Fury, but after just recently coming back after a year hiatus I am not really loving the way it currently plays. Just seems bland.

Any recommendations on what melee specs are a blast to play? DK any good?

What about Mages?

I've really been enjoying my unholy deathknight. Been hearing a lot of good things about outlaw rogues as well. I also gave survival hunter a shot but couldn't get into it.

I've fucking fallen in love with my shadow priest though, tons of fun to play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I liked fury warr, enhance sham is a lot of fun, people speak highly of UH dk, outlaw rogue, ww monk...

Last edited:

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
Along with the above question - I'm stuck between picking a ranged class. And by that, I'm tossing around either Mage or Boomkin. Boomkin seems much easier to play, but mage has a greater DPS in Simcraft result.

But the druid can tank as a offspec and the mage just does magey things... So torn!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Too many variables. Are you going to raid, mythic raids, high mythic dungeons, just casual. Do you want offspecs, quicker dungeon queues etc.

Honestly just pick what you enjoy playing the most, unless you are in some bleeding edge raid guild or your guild is all melee and they really need ranged for mythic raids.

The downside being this expansion and artifact progression. As iirc, artifiact catch up is per character, not account. So you really do need to pick something you like, since if you try to switch characters(characters not specs) months later, you could be pretty far behind.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I would say go boomkin. Also resto are very good in the expansion and you can use the same gear for either since the stats are all homogenized.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
Too many variables. Are you going to raid, mythic raids, high mythic dungeons, just casual. Do you want offspecs, quicker dungeon queues etc.

Honestly just pick what you enjoy playing the most, unless you are in some bleeding edge raid guild or your guild is all melee and they really need ranged for mythic raids.

The downside being this expansion and artifact progression. As iirc, artifiact catch up is per character, not account. So you really do need to pick something you like, since if you try to switch characters(characters not specs) months later, you could be pretty far behind.

We are just a basic Heroic guild who does it really slow, so while it doesn't matter for that, I was thinking about Mythic + dungeons. Those will have to be pickups, so if I can get a spot, I'd want the better option. I guess druid is a better pick based on the stuff I can do being a "casual" nowadays. It's hard getting out of the "must do the best choice no matter what" even though I know it really doesn't matter with the way I play now.

So if you pick a class like druid, I can level feral and use 13 AP in the artifact and still be ok picking up the boomkin artifact at 110 and going that route?

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Plus you can go resto with Bookin tendencies and blast stuff, or Boomkin with Resto and have a few good heals.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider

Aren't artifacts by spec not character? So that would mean even switching specs has a cost, no?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm liking destro lock. Can be talented so the rotation is pretty much the same all the time. Only one dot to keep track of and no reaction abilities. I'm sure some people love the "press whatever lights up next" whack-a-mole gameplay but that's not for me. For more simpleness, I took the talent that makes incinerate hit all targets for 1 button spam AOEing, good for heroics and clearing old raids. Pet use is optional, I mostly use voidwalker to solo and use the talent to get rid of the pet in groups. Good self healing too, one issue is that you have no runspeed/sprint ability at all, so you're always late catching up to the rest of the group.

Also tried MM hunter, but that had a lot of "wait for proc and hit appropriate button" gameplay, if you like that give that a try. Lost the use of aspect and traps though, that sucks.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
So if you pick a class like druid, I can level feral and use 13 AP in the artifact and still be ok picking up the boomkin artifact at 110 and going that route?

Yep you'll be fine, a day behind at most on boomkin artifact the way the costs ramp up.

Aren't artifacts by spec not character? So that would mean even switching specs has a cost, no?

It has a cost but with the way it scales you can keep a second artifact pretty close to your main one without a lot of extra effort.

Yeah the AP research is per character and you can't start it until you hit 110. So if you think you might be playing more than one character it would benefit you greatly to get your alts to 110 ASAP and cranking out AP research.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I would second what Cinge said, pick a class/spec you enjoy playing first and foremost.

The performance of each isn't that far apart that unless you're going for the high end mythic dungeons or raids it won't matter much.

If you're going to play a lot, might as well be something you enjoy...no better way to burn out than playing the "best" spec if you're no having fun doing it.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone in the beta have any idea on how good the ret paladin artifact is? currently my Paladin is my highest geared toon but doing like the worst dps out of all of my peeps. Quite annoying

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You can keep a 2nd spec relatively close to your main spec. So switching specs is not even close to changing classes.

Also catch up mechanics(aka artifact research) will help 2nd spec quite a lot, as it ramps up. Not so for changing clasess, where you will start all over, unless you have been keeping up with it.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Also, they keep mentioned the "you gain 80% of your weapon in 20% of the time" thing implying you will have your weapons basically ready to go pretty quickly. The end top tier of it will take a little grind but you're not going to be insanely behind in progression if you switch specs.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Also, they keep mentioned the "you gain 80% of your weapon in 20% of the time" thing implying you will have your weapons basically ready to go pretty quickly. The end top tier of it will take a little grind but you're not going to be insanely behind in progression if you switch specs.

Sort of. If that last passive has 20 ranks like I was seeing, then you are going to be gimp for a while switching to something else. Example the MM one is 5% damage per rank. The BM one is 5% pet damage. If you have one capped you are going to lose a shitload of damage going to one that only has 0-10 points in that last category.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Sort of. If that last passive has 20 ranks like I was seeing, then you are going to be gimp for a while switching to something else. Example the MM one is 5% damage per rank. The BM one is 5% pet damage. If you have one capped you are going to lose a shitload of damage going to one that only has 0-10 points in that last category.
Are those realistically attainable though? With the way the requirements increase exponentially, wouldn't you be able to reach rank 1 in both specs more quickly than having rank 2 in one spec and nothing in the other (or taking rank 1 in both specs only delays rank 2 in one spec by an insignificant amount of time)?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure those are not 5% per rank. Its like 5% for first point, then 2% for 2nd, then 1% for the rest.