World of Warcraft: Current Year

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Any recommendations for a stat weight mod? I'm finding lots of situations where I have to compare gear across ilvls where the lower one is ideal stats but the upper one is not(eww, crit).

Would love for fury to be better since crit isn't that much worse for it than arms and prot. Most of its stat weights are pretty close such that you can just pick the higher ilvl most of the time.

Pawn is the best to straight compare, but you need to input your stat weights that you get from a Sim program for it to be effective.

SimulationCraft - Welcome you can download the sim program, its pretty easy to use just go to options click "enable scaling" and the stats you want it to scale. then plug the stat numbers it gives you into Pawn.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yes you should sim your own set up. Here is what I use for PAWN based on my own sims:

Agility = .22
Stamina = .15
Armor = 10
Crit = .31
Haste = .35
Mastery = .8
Versatility = 1.12
Avoidance = .64
Leech = 2.14

Look at how stupid that priority list is. Agility, my primary stat is literally the lowest priority stat other than Stamina

Khane

How does simulation craft compare to AskMrRobot? Because I've been using AMR

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'm happily sitting out of mythic raids just to keep from needing to buy potions. This isn't a very good long-term plan, as we're already clearing heroic in under 2 1/2 hours, but I'm stuck in shitty relic limbo anyway.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Can you get that reward in heroics? I already outgear normals and I've done...maybe half?

You get achievements for any difficulty under your highest completed. So doing a mythic Maw of Souls without doing N/H will give you all three when you finish.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How does simulation craft compare to AskMrRobot? Because I've been using AMR

I put my arms spec into both, 160k dps from AMR and 164k dps from simulation craft. The stat ordering agreed(I didn't run AMR's local client to get weights) and other important factors like Colossus Smash debuff uptime and Mortal Strike executions were pretty close too.

Simcraft's presentation is better in some cases, worse in others. I dislike that I have to dig down into the target's buffs to get the colossus smash uptime. But, the charts are nice on simcraft. I'm assuming AMR's local client has those though.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm happily sitting out of mythic raids just to keep from needing to buy potions. This isn't a very good long-term plan, as we're already clearing heroic in under 2 1/2 hours, but I'm stuck in shitty relic limbo anyway.
Kreug, my guild needs a hunter! I'll buy your pots. I think you're a rogue now though. We don't need a rogue.

Khane

I put my arms spec into both, 160k dps from AMR and 164k dps from simulation craft. The stat ordering agreed(I didn't run AMR's local client to get weights) and other important factors like Colossus Smash debuff uptime and Mortal Strike executions were pretty close too.

Simcraft's presentation is better in some cases, worse in others. I dislike that I have to dig down into the target's buffs to get the colossus smash uptime. But, the charts are nice on simcraft. I'm assuming AMR's local client has those though.

AMR's local client is nothing more than a .NET command prompt program that allows you to simulate using your own machines hardware. It's not a GUI.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yes, but you need to use the local client to do the intensive simulations. The website won't let you run stat weight sims.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
All the suramar lines offer high AP rewards, so there's multiple incentives for completing them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Installed AMR's local client. Not sure I like the whole web interface part, thought I would have the results locally, but whatever. I would say overall that AMR has nice presentation and interface than simcraft. Also, it's easier to disable certain things like pots, flasks, and food if you want for simulating. In simcraft, that's built into the rotations, so it's hard to take out.

AMR is disgustingly slower, holy shit. The website said it estimated 22 minutes to do stat weighting and I thought they were just lowballing for fucks(like me) that still use 6 year old CPUs to play WoW(I simcraft on my spiffy work computer though). Nope, 22 minutes is quite accurate. Simcraft pumps out 10k iterations PLUS plot scaling(not THAT useful) in about 5 minutes while AMR does 1300 iterations in ~20 minutes without plot scaling.

Gonna stick with simcraft for that reason alone. The engineer in me can't patronize bad programming.

EDIT: Poking around a bit more, that may be a bit more harsh than deserved. Supposedly it did 840k sims in 33 minutes, which is close enough to simcraft in computations. The 1300 came from the number of "gear setups". I'm not sure why that's necessary. I'm guessing it's taking known gear and using all valid combinations to calculate stat scaling? Seems a bit excessive.

It DID come up with different stat weightings. Not different enough to care to sit through a half hour of simming though. For my gear and talents, it had mastery and str switch compared to simcraft. But the numbers themselves were all pretty close together. Meh.

Last edited:

Khane

Installed AMR's local client. Not sure I like the whole web interface part, thought I would have the results locally, but whatever. I would say overall that AMR has nice presentation and interface than simcraft. Also, it's easier to disable certain things like pots, flasks, and food if you want for simulating. In simcraft, that's built into the rotations, so it's hard to take out.

AMR is disgustingly slower, holy shit. The website said it estimated 22 minutes to do stat weighting and I thought they were just lowballing for fucks(like me) that still use 6 year old CPUs to play WoW(I simcraft on my spiffy work computer though). Nope, 22 minutes is quite accurate. Simcraft pumps out 10k iterations PLUS plot scaling(not THAT useful) in about 5 minutes while AMR does 1300 iterations in ~20 minutes without plot scaling.

Gonna stick with simcraft for that reason alone. The engineer in me can't patronize bad programming.

I don't think it's 1300 iterations. It's 1300 setups (I believe AMR changes gearing around and such for each of these setups?). I have no idea how many iterations are run for each setup but it's probably a lot more than 1. At least I'd hope so otherwise you're right, it's terrible.