World of Warcraft: Current Year

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally got a legendary, on my Mistweaver Monk alt...

Well at least this might prompt me to use Thunder Focus Tea more often. I find myself not bothering with a good portion of the Mistweaver loadout because it hasn't been necessary to keep things alive in the (admittedly low end) content I've been doing.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Demon Hunters can have their active mitigation up 100% of the time. I don't exactly see people clawing over each other to get Demon Hunter tanks...

No you can't, not without 4-set. If not, show me logs that back up your claim

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Switching to BM to tank 10 mans makes my guild's two healers groan mightily. Thing is I read what you guys are saying and what is said on other forums. I don't know how much of the aversion is psychosomatic at this point though. On paper it looks bad, but how much is it that people already convinced themselves my spec sucks? Look I know it's bad and it's not like we're pushing hard on mythic EN. But sometimes I even get in my head that I am gimping my raid.

Fuck, I should have chosen mage or something this expansion.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Switching to BM to tank 10 mans makes my guild's two healers groan mightily. Thing is I read what you guys are saying and what is said on other forums. I don't know how much of the aversion is psychosomatic at this point though. On paper it looks bad, but how much is it that people already convinced themselves my spec sucks? Look I know it's bad and it's not like we're pushing hard on mythic EN. But sometimes I even get in my head that I am gimping my raid.

Fuck, I should have chosen mage or something this expansion.

Part of it is the counter-intuitive nature of the class in terms of healing. Celestial Fortune = Crit Chance will trigger Heal + 65% additional healing. Because of this we work much better with HOTS heals than with say, mana intensive Paladin heals. This on its face is fine, but when paired with Obstinate Determination and Expel Harm. In order to have a a lot of defensive healing setup reliably we need to be hitting 35% HP regularly to build up healing spheres. When the healing spheres are SUPER healing spheres this is even better (Overflow trait). Which means that healers need to heal you LESS for us to be more effective. This is fucking insane and makes no sense.

In order to accomplish all of that we need to be taking damage that we can only mitigate under certain conditions (purifying brew) and our Mastery should help us avoid damage. But we can't stack it because we must stack haste to cap before anything else. The aversion is real though. It is just EXTRA true for Paladins due to the nature of their heals. Mistweavers and Druids will have a better time overall. The other part is shitty players who don't even understand the underlying brew mechanics. On top of the current raid dishing out a lot of magical damage that we have no way to mitigate.

Fights like Medivhe in Karazahn this is really blatant because the entire fight is magic damage almost and you can't even stagger it.

Overall I say the aversion is 50/50. Heals is definitely harder but it isn't helped by Healers not understanding Brew mechanics and Brews themselves being bad at brew tanking.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I had to explain to them about early on about healing spheres and stagger. They claim my spike damage is all over the place - which is true and how it is. IMO the whole stagger makes it smoother argument is wrong due to healing spheres, our dodge mechanic, and lack of magic mitigation. I do "feel" spiky.

And you're right about the stat weighing. All over the fucking place. I understand the number crunching for stacking haste but I stare at our mastery and wonder damn at my ilvl I can't have it both ways. I have tanked from the moment this game went live and I have to work my fingers more on this BM than my Prot War and DK. I guess it isn't boring at least.

For the record I have a shaman and a priest healing me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My group finally cleared heroic EN. Geared up for a wipe fest and we killed him on the 2nd pull , about 20 minutes into the raid. Just in time to start tov

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
oh yeah, got a new raid mission that I finished late last evening, was for ilgynoth so went into LFR and finished it. Ended up getting a pair of 895 bracers with a socket. Doesn't get much sweeter than that and now I'm at 884 with one legendary. ooooh baby
It's fucking upside down world for me and those loot bags. I can't get anything but trinkets. In WoD that would've been awesome and insanely lucky. EN has no trinkets for me as ret, though (I already have an 890 socketed SPH). Guess I can try my new Illgynoth trinket on some M+ runs :/

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Druid for sure needs to be nerfed. If all other classes can't have 100% active mitigation up, why should druid get to auto ignore those boss mechanics (like the demon hunter in blackrook hold) just like brewmasters got to in MoP?

This is coming from someone who has been forced to play druid this expansion and can't wait for it to be over

Maybe they're designed around it being up 100%? Why do people assume active mitigation can't be up 100%? Now, ignore pain being up 100% would be pretty bad, but that's another story.

I've always been able to ignore that mechanic on my warrior. Maybe it doesn't hit that hard?

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Most active mitigation abilities just apply some random ability afterwards if you dont use AM on it. for example the one in BRH is 100% increased damage if its not AM'd but she hits soft enough you can heal through it even at higher mythic+ levels. almost all abilities that require AM dont outright kill you but will punish you in some way applying a DoT or negative healing effect or extra damage. i cant think of any in legion that will lead to instant wipes.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Maybe they're designed around it being up 100%? Why do people assume active mitigation can't be up 100%? Now, ignore pain being up 100% would be pretty bad, but that's another story.

I've always been able to ignore that mechanic on my warrior. Maybe it doesn't hit that hard?

It's a way to check if you can do the encounter properly. At times it gets slightly harder, like in BRH. Other times, you die, like on Ra-den. Seeing as ironfur can be up 100% with 2-3 stacks there's really no point in time where druids are vulnerable. compared to how a demon hunter will have his shit on cooldown and be at the mercy of his healers. The disparity should end, easiest would be to nerf druids. I would lower the proc rate of moonfire substantially

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe the assumption is always 1 stack of ironfur and the check is partially overlapping another stack at the right time? If they increased druid armor by 100% baseline and then gutted GG such that you could maintain one less stack, would that make tanks happy without effectively changing anything?

I haven't tanked a whole ton yet, my guardian is still at 103, but I don't see how you're averaging 2-3 stacks. Granted, I haven't tried Bristling Fur yet, but seeing how that's 8s out of 40, I don't see how that could make that big a difference.