World of Warcraft: Current Year

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A lot of the changes that have went in recently have been made in an effort to make it more "alt friendly". Unfortunately, Khane Khane points out the painful truth.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lot of the changes that have went in recently have been made in an effort to make it more "alt friendly". Unfortunately, Khane Khane points out the painful truth.
The only thing that currently has a catch up that didn't before is the essences. I guess they didn't have the azerite vendor at the start but they added it in Uldir right?

So essences was a 4 month period of the expansion without the catch up? Even then many of the essences they removed some of the artificial caps (Like weekly questlines).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
essences are such a non issue for alts now, but I still feel bad for returning players. It's what makes me not suggest the game to people that want to come back and actually play the game.

everything else is pretty whatever to me. The cloak quest chain could maybe be cut an extra 20 minutes or something but aside from that alts have never been easier (for somebody who has already been playing).

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
essences are such a non issue for alts now, but I still feel bad for returning players. It's what makes me not suggest the game to people that want to come back and actually play the game.

everything else is pretty whatever to me. The cloak quest chain could maybe be cut an extra 20 minutes or something but aside from that alts have never been easier (for somebody who has already been playing).

I got my main caught up to max, got flying, but the essences were just too much for me to fuck with so I stopped.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Depending on your class, a lot of them aren't very hard to get and used as your main choices but then there's shit like feral where you NEED the 30k honor essences, etc. It's just such a pain in the ass and I don't know why they don't accelerate them any further considering there's no new content coming.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
it still takes what 4 weeks minimum for C&S which is pretty dumb, same with the 30k honor one...i have the others maxed. but generally its pretty easy for even a fresh account character to get a working set semi fast

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

The cloak quest is pretty much fine the bulk of what it wants you to do is stuff you would be doing anyways but for better rewards per time.

• 1Like

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Blood of the Enemy is the worst Essence to get, which is rough because it's amazing on several classes. Worst part about it for me was that no one wanted to run island PVP.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
C&S still takes 5 weeks if youre 1600 rating. which is silly. its also bis for like over half the classes. i run blood of the enemy on my monk at rank 2. rank 3 is a minor increase. i have rank 3/4 on literally every other essence

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
At the moment, I think it's safe to consider that anyone returning before 9.0 a week or two before Shadowlands isn't going to enjoy the thing. The only thing I probably need would be the rep to finish BFA flying, since it will still be required in the next expansion...

Whether or not I come back depends entirely on Thorgast. It's the only part that I might want to see - the rest of the expansion is obviously more of the same chores that finished breaking my will to play.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Blood of the Enemy is the worst Essence to get, which is rough because it's amazing on several classes. Worst part about it for me was that no one wanted to run island PVP.
This is why I never got it never could find a winning island pvp. Pisses me off the seething shore brawl was never fixed as that could give it to you.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
At the moment, I think it's safe to consider that anyone returning before 9.0 a week or two before Shadowlands isn't going to enjoy the thing. The only thing I probably need would be the rep to finish BFA flying, since it will still be required in the next expansion...

Whether or not I come back depends entirely on Thorgast. It's the only part that I might want to see - the rest of the expansion is obviously more of the same chores that finished breaking my will to play.
I would be surprised if they don’t at some point just put every essence on the vendor to buy with that currency even ones you had not otherwise unlocked. Kinda like the crazy shit at the end of legion.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would be surprised if they don’t at some point just put every essence on the vendor to buy with that currency even ones you had not otherwise unlocked. Kinda like the crazy shit at the end of legion.

I'm almost certain that we haven't seen the last of nerfs to the process of getting Essences. I also expect them to make getting the cloak powered up a joke a few months out from Shadowlands.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm almost certain that we haven't seen the last of nerfs to the process of getting Essences. I also expect them to make getting the cloak powered up a joke a few months out from Shadowlands.
The cloak is already pretty easy but I wouldn't doubt we see more accessibility coming in.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its still tedious to have to do for every character. 3 hour quest + 2-3 weeks to get it up to rank 12.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Essences and shit are probably going to be disabled by lvl 52 or something though right? So kinda doesn't really matter I think.

Last edited:

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Essences are shit are probably going to be disabled by lvl 52 or something though right? So kinda doesn't really matter I think.

If it's like legos were in BFA, it'll be 55. I'm hoping for that since I've already unlocked most of them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If it's like legos were in BFA, it'll be 55. I'm hoping for that since I've already unlocked most of them.
Yeah I mean 55 whatever, that still feels pretty pointless, besides dual boxing power leveling that I believe was a thing at BFA start(and then they nerfed it for whatever reason). Like you'll have your powerhouse character for a few hours at release and then it'll be just the same as Lil Timmy with his new boosted 120. Doesn't feel like it's worth grinding the annoying essences for a slightly faster leveling process. Especially since you can get rank 1 or for some 2 without too much effort and get a fair bit of that power already.

xzi

Mouthbreather
iirc last time they talked about essences in shadowlands, they'll only be available and usable in BFA. No cap, you'll just need the neck equipped. But I can't remember if they said they'll allow them in lower content than that.. would be amazing if they do tbh. Being able to give +movespeed freedom to myself in old shit is the best.