World of Warcraft: Current Year

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
After watching this I feel like the game just has nothing left, this did not make me feel like a game I should be playing, let alone paying for. Here is hoping D4 is better.
What stuck out to me was how incredibly childish that video felt - as though it was intentionally aimed at very young children. The simple writing, the flat dialogue, and the call to adventure story hook (we're going exploring and collecting artifacts and taking pictures! really? that's the motivation?) all seemed like something meant for little kids. Introducing the Dragon Isles in such a low-stakes, inconsequential way makes this expansion seem less like embarking on a grand adventure and more like going to play in the creek behind the neighbors' house.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
After watching this I feel like the game just has nothing left, this did not make me feel like a game I should be playing, let alone paying for. Here is hoping D4 is better.
This is the worst thing I've seen in an MMO and I played FF14 2.0 and WoW Shadowlands. Holy fucking shit.

I can't watch most of it, but do Dracthyr have American accents!?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What stuck out to me was how incredibly childish that video felt - as though it was intentionally aimed at very young children. The simple writing, the flat dialogue, and the call to adventure story hook (we're going exploring and collecting artifacts and taking pictures! really? that's the motivation?) all seemed like something meant for little kids. Introducing the Dragon Isles in such a low-stakes, inconsequential way makes this expansion seem less like embarking on a grand adventure and more like going to play in the creek behind the neighbors' house.
Have you seen how the type of people that are now in charge write in general? “AND THATS A GOOD THING!” /head pat

I fucking hate childish writing in these fucking games. GW 2 was the worst until now.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Watching that in game cutscenes collection has me thinking of just how bad the prepatch "content" is going to be.

Also, lulz at those Dragganz models. After Mists I hated Pandas, then Legion came along, and I still hated Pandas, but now, I will still hate seeing Pandas, but those Drakathyr might be a close second.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
giphy.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's like they are competing with FF14 to be the gayest game and hired a bunch of uncultured queer capeshit loving Californians, not realising that FF14 is written by a perverted straight woman with an interest in ancient greek and renaissance writings so it's actually good.

Also this is fucking great:

• 3Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Watching this video makes me fucking feel great that FF14 has Soken.
This video is strangely missing music or any lemotifs and it's making me uncomfortable to listen to.

Like... This iconic HSW cutscene in the spoilers. The dialog is arguably the same, but the music and backing track makes the mood. As well as the camera being a tad bit more personable. WoW makes me feel like I'm not supposed to be listening to these NPCs talking.

Last edited:

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Their story team is garbage now, catering to infantalized SJW adults who don't live in reality and self inserting their tranny faggot per(fur?)sonas into positions of power in game (Pelegos arbiter lol). But WoW's story has never been good or something I played for, the horde vs. alliance conflict hasn't made sense since vanilla and most characters are one dimensional retards. I think most of us played for the raiding and the world.

I've been messing around with retail while waiting for wotlk since its the same sub, and it's kinda fun if you skip every cutscene and just gear up some alts. Fated raids and bringing back old dungeons for the mythic+ season are good concepts, pvp is fun, the specs I've played feel really tight (legendaries and set bonuses mandatory though), and being able to turn gear from any source (pvp, dungeons, raids) into set pieces is very convenient. I was able to unlock SL and ZM flying in a day as well, yet I still can't fly in BFA zones. The people playing retail are also like 100x better and more chill in my experience than the human waste making up the classic servers.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Watching this video makes me fucking feel great that FF14 has Soken.
This video is strangely missing music or any lemotifs and it's making me uncomfortable to listen to.

Like... This iconic HSW cutscene in the spoilers. The dialog is arguably the same, but the music and backing track makes the mood. As well as the camera being a tad bit more personable. WoW makes me feel like I'm not supposed to be listening to these NPCs talking.

To be fair I'm not sure how normal it is to use leitmotifs and Soken is particularily crazy in using lots of them. It is a mark of quality though.

Reminds me of this tune from Warcraft 3 though, the mission starts, the heroes plan their next move and adventure awaits:

I still remember it after all these years, never been used in WoW. I don't think much of the old soundtrack has been used actually.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Warcraft lore got from "both Tolkien and Games Workshop were too expensive" level to "both Peaky Blinders and Game of Thrones are already doing it anyway" level I just can't take seriously anything "lore-wise" nowadays. It's okay doing your main premise a huge mexican standoff faction drama involving gods, semigods, heroes and wannabes.

It's not okay when you're overwriting every character with three-layered personas, retcons and "AAAAHH I'M GOING MAD" motives trying to stick their lore choices to nowadays politics. It's not "writing", it's just making a glorified op-ed about your own beliefs. If so, then go for it, don't make it about how it was always that character plan all along. Write a story, don't change it, faggot.

• 3Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So with all the 'time works differently' business ahead of Shadowlands implying that there would be some sort of big time skip when people came back they decided to instead just do a 'A few years pass....' at the start of the expansion? I mean I know they are lazy but good lord... and in all that time nothing dealt with the now 20 year old Cataclysm damage?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Thats what happens when your head writer is some degenerate waifu worshiping genetic dead end.

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The young dragon sobbed. “I just don’t know how I’m supposed to choose how others see me, when I’m not even sure how I see myself.”

Look between your legs, there the answer lies.

Caeden

So i've seen rampant speculation that Classic+ is the way. How badly are they going to fuck up future xpacs if the Suicide Squad is put in charge? Or will this be the one area that Blizzard says "Ew, let the nerds have that!" and we actually get good content again?

I'd actually love a rewritten story where they dumpster remaking hte old world entirely yet somehow either allowed flying or banned flying completely (shrinks the world imo), brought in only Tmog and dual spec from modern wow, killed LFR for making 10m raids the "story" modes with reduced loot quality, dialed back the DDR in fights some, no LFD, no crazy systems, and outright skipped garrisons or maybe draenor in general. I still think how the legion got to Azeroth was the worst of the better storytelling era before BFA hit.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So i've seen rampant speculation that Classic+ is the way. How badly are they going to fuck up future xpacs if the Suicide Squad is put in charge? Or will this be the one area that Blizzard says "Ew, let the nerds have that!" and we actually get good content again?

I'd actually love a rewritten story where they dumpster remaking hte old world entirely yet somehow either allowed flying or banned flying completely (shrinks the world imo), brought in only Tmog and dual spec from modern wow, killed LFR for making 10m raids the "story" modes with reduced loot quality, dialed back the DDR in fights some, no LFD, no crazy systems, and outright skipped garrisons or maybe draenor in general. I still think how the legion got to Azeroth was the worst of the better storytelling era before BFA hit.

Best we can do is Classic + a social contract and bowls of fruit.

They don't want your money gramps. You and your boomer fags are a problem to the gaming industry.

• 1Like

Caeden

Best we can do is Classic + a social contract and bowls of fruit.

They don't want your money gramps. You and your boomer fags are a problem to the gaming industry.
I almost agree....almost. Eventually money talks.

• 1Like