World of Warcraft: Current Year

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Maybe lots of people would prefer warfronts or islands expeditions because at least you can ignore them, unlike Torghast"

hhheee.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't even enjoy coming back to this thread to shit on WOW anymore. Blizzard has literally taken all enjoyment out of this game for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A lot of people knew going into this that SL was the last ride.

It's the last Blizzard expac/WoW experience for many. It's also why so many people are playing it all the way through. They aren't coming back.

This is the last one.
The thing is, Legion should have been that. It was a damn nice ride. I only bought BFA because I wanted to run around in pretty pretty dress up with all the Mage Tower skins I unlocked across my 10 alts. In reality, I should have enjoyed Mage Tower and Legion for the experience and never subbed to BFA, but who knew.

God it was fucking stunning fall from grace really. WoW had at least been solid even in mis-steps. Legion is probably my third favorite xpac after WotLK and TBC.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
BFA killed my raid group that'd been going since TBC. I don't think it was worse than WoD, I think WoD just used up all of our reserves of "benefit of the doubt," so when the next garbage expansion rolled around everyone was just out.

Losing them did get me to try out Mythic Raiding, and killing Nzoth in time for the achievement was a blast, but I definitely don't have the time (or the skill) for pushing that stuff long term. And it made going back to heroic raids feel like sitting in the baby crib, and murdered my patience for people dying to mechanics that are 10x as survivable in Heroic.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll be honest, I didn't think it would happen. I don't think he'll stick with it. The story will bore him.

Ion should be fired that it's gotten this bad. It's not that it's because Asmon is trying it. It's that other big content WoW providers are trying it out as well. Asmon was the last domino to fall.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Bellular had a similar and (Imho) very well done albeit a bit sentient video about this recently () . Really FF14 is technically no match for WOW, but the point that focussing only on Dungeons, Raids and PvP neglecting what made WOW a great game and the majority of the playerbase is fact and true. And yes there are a few key people to blame and one certainly is Ion with his streamlining "everything needs to be balanced" soulsucking design approach.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
"The game starts at max level therefore we discard anything that is not max level" is a true cancer of MMO design. While WOW always did this even back when TBC made Naxx and shit worthless the later years fully embraced it to the extent you're talking about.

The quests in Classic were relatively interesting if you took the time to read them. Lots of long, cool quest chains that took you out to places you hadn't been yet. But, over time, it devolved into just "collect bear asses" and streamlining all quests into direct hubs that you complete then move on to the next. No long quest chain hooks or anything like that. I also don't understand why they completely gutted trade skills along the way.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"The game starts at max level therefore we discard anything that is not max level" is a true cancer of MMO design. While WOW always did this even back when TBC made Naxx and shit worthless the later years fully embraced it to the extent you're talking about.

The quests in Classic were relatively interesting if you took the time to read them. Lots of long, cool quest chains that took you out to places you hadn't been yet. But, over time, it devolved into just "collect bear asses" and streamlining all quests into direct hubs that you complete then move on to the next. No long quest chain hooks or anything like that. I also don't understand why they completely gutted trade skills along the way.
Yeah, this. They've streamlined everything too far, and combined with the fact that everything is discovered on the PTR before the game ever goes live, all you ever do is color by numbers and the colors aren't even that good.

PvP remains relatively interesting because the actual combat/class mechanics are still the saving grace of the game but everything else is just fucking dull.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Having boss guides out on day 1 of raid release was also bad. Was a lot more fun when guilds had to compete with different strats on a completely unseen boss.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The thing is, Legion should have been that. It was a damn nice ride. I only bought BFA because I wanted to run around in pretty pretty dress up with all the Mage Tower skins I unlocked across my 10 alts. In reality, I should have enjoyed Mage Tower and Legion for the experience and never subbed to BFA, but who knew.

God it was fucking stunning fall from grace really. WoW had at least been solid even in mis-steps. Legion is probably my third favorite xpac after WotLK and TBC.

We thought Legion marked a new era at Blizzard, not the end of one. In hindsight, you're right. But nobody anticipated that Legion would be a one-off.

Admittedly many people smelled BFA coming, but Legion bought so much good will and was so wildly successful many of us overlooked it.

But I wish I had called it at Legion. I'm sunk costs in SL and finishing the expac out due to the finality of it. I won't return under any circumstance. I'm playing right now. I'm playing 9.05, I'm playing 9.1, I'm playing 9.2. I'm intentionally forcing play to guarantee a no-return scenario. Then that's it for me. They can't get a dollar again on an expac from me.

• 1Truth!

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I assumed it was going to be A and B teams where the A team made big fun expansions like Mists/Legion while the B team did less good filler expansions (WoD/BfA). Whelp.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'll be honest, I didn't think it would happen. I don't think he'll stick with it. The story will bore him.

Ion should be fired that it's gotten this bad. It's not that it's because Asmon is trying it. It's that other big content WoW providers are trying it out as well. Asmon was the last domino to fall.

I don't like it. Because the backlash gets bad enough it could make SL WoD status, which could mean Blizzard making sweeping changes and removing dicks from salad in the next expac.

I don't want the temptation. I want Asmongold to continue playing WoW and the volume to stay low on this argument. I don't want any chance Blizzard gets a WoD whiplash.

Cybsled

Next WoW expansion: Your character is now known as the champion of illumination. You are met by the twin half-elf children of Rhonin and Veresa Windrunner, who introduce you to an organization called The Scyers who seek to stop demonic summoning and robbed mysterious figures who want to bring about something called “The Recombination”

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Next WoW expansion: Your character is now known as the champion of illumination. You are met by the twin half-elf children of Rhonin and Veresa Windrunner, who introduce you to an organization called The Scyers who seek to stop demonic summoning and robbed mysterious figures who want to bring about something called “The Recombination”
What is this a reference to?

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is something FF14 handles very well.

I'm currently doing ALL the old raids bit by bit as players get currency for high end gear for doing one a day, your character is also scaled to the appropriate level so it's not faceroll (though they are easier than release).

Really helps that raids are broken down into small wings usually 1 boss only with larger raids having a few and minimal trash.

What is this a reference to?
FF14 storyline that goes through all the expansions so far and ends in the next one.

• 1Like