World War Z

Silence_sl

shitlord
Just surpassed 500 million worldwide.

Definitely would green light a sequel of they so desire.
Certainly not produced by Pitt for the sequel. The movie was a mess at the end of the original shoot, and required a re-shoot of the last 40 minutes of the film, and two or three rewrites of the last 3rd of the movie...on top of overshooting the budget by a cool 65 million.

I'm amazed they pulled anything useable out of it, and made a decent flick in the process. I haven't read the novel, so I'm just going on pure seat time here.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yup, this was much better than expected. Way over Iron Man / Star Trek as entertainment value. I'd watch the shit of out Walking Dead of they had this type of zombies.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
As someone said a horrible adaption of the book, but an excellent movie.

I was hoping the makers would not follow the book too closely and they didn't, so good decision. And I don't think making the movie PG-13 hurt the movie either.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
Yup, this was much better than expected. Way over Iron Man / Star Trek as entertainment value. I'd watch the shit of out Walking Dead of they had this type of zombies.
I absolutely loved the book, probably one the best reads ever for a geek.
I expected to see "28 days of Brad" and while it wasn't "hardcore" i enjoyed it, the CGI was amazing, and the taking of Israel badass.

Sadly i don't think the walking dead have the budget to make CGI zombies like this (and stay close to the comics).

A good 7.5/10

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
What the hell did they have to reshoot / rewrite? The whole Israel / CDC part?

I went into this thinking it would be shit based on what everyone said on here but I didn't read the book and overall it was a decent flick that kept me watching.

With that said, which is a better book, World War Z or A Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (or whatever its called)

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Apparently the entire last act so presumably from the point they leave Israel onwards.

I think the thread has the original last act posted twice and why Mr Fox wasn't even noticed by some viewers.

I went into this thinking it would be shit based on what everyone said on here but I didn't read the book and overall it was a decent flick that kept me watching.

With that said, which is a better book, World War Z or A Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (or whatever its called)
World War Z is hands down a better story because it actually tells you know, a story. Zombie Survival guide is literally what it sounds like, a pretty dry and straightforward hand book for surviving a Zombie outbreak.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And the Guide feels like it was written by a 12 year old while sitting in his backyard fort. I still can't reconcile that both were written by the same author. I seriously doubt they were /shrug

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As someone said a horrible adaption of the book, but an excellent movie.
What retarded yokel said this was an excellent movie?

It fucking blew. Made no god damn sense, ending was terrible, everything was just fucking random and the CGI zombies looked like shit half the time.

I want to bone that bald Israeli chick.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Yeah the original ending is listed somewhere in the thread.

Original version Briefly:
- Plane flew to Russia with zero issues
- All healthy males made to fight in war against Zombies, anyone else from plane killed to ensure they would never become another zombie
- months later we see that Brad Pitt is fighting in Russian winter notices how slow and ineffective Zombies are in freezing cold ( remembering how super-human they were in hot weather (Israel)
- Convinces Russian military heads to get everyone to turn off heat sources
- battle goes better from that point on.
- Brad now thinks of his wife, finds that she is living in Florida with Matthew Fox's character in some zombie free zone - explaining why he was there but had a small part
- She has bought her place there with her smoking hot body
- Brad ain't happy with this and wants to save her so he leads a force of Russian and other free nation soldiers in a big D-day style assault to win back North America.

Apparently the force lands on the Pacific Northwest as the US military had some success in clearing the West coast = good luck getting to Florida.

So the re-shoots were a considerable amount of the last 1/2 of the film:
- The zombie outbreak on the plane
- the plane crash
- everything to do with the CDC
- A number of small bits that were able to be re-inserted to enable the plot idea that the zombies will not attack a person with terminal illness or similar
---- In Israel Brad Pitt witnessed a few people ( kid with cancer + some old guy ) being ignored.
---- There was a brief view of a homeless guy in the US early on, that the Zombies ran past.
---- Plus the US soldier in Korea who tells of how the original outbreak and chaos on the base happened all around him.
-----But he was left untouched because he had an injured leg.

Personally I liked the re-worked ending in that the 'they won't attack you if you're terminal due to being a weak host' idea gives a whole new motivation for the group at the CDC, a change of mood for the film and that its a smart way to 'blind-side' the Zombies and beat them through being smart.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
What retarded yokel said this was an excellent movie?
It fucking blew. Made no god damn sense, ending was terrible, everything was just fucking random and the CGI zombies looked like shit half the time.
I want to bone that bald Israeli chick.
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad for a PG13 Zombie movie, sure the plot had serious holes but it was a "good popcorn zombie movie".

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The stuff in the lab was good so I suppose the changes were worth it, but it was funny to see millions of dollars worth of footage reduced to 1-2 second flashes in a brief montage. They could have made one hell of a Director's Cut edition I'd think. Is Moscow shown as a blu-ray extra at least?

The AIDS camo at least explains how it would be even possible to win against hordes of fast zombies that can scale 50 foot walls because there's no way the solutions from the book would work in this movie.

Probably the most irksome thing about the movie was the number of times a character shot a zombie once in the chest and it went down and stayed down. Until the soldier mentioned it I thought they had just abandoned the head shot thing entirely and this was just a 28 Days Later sequel. And yes, an adaptation of WWZ should have found a way to show (or tell stories about) the various ways people found to survive. All we got was Israel, and its demonstration of why fast zombies require an entirely new edition of the Survival Guide.

And the bombing of the football stadium would have been epic if they had shown someone driving around in a jeep with a bunch of speakers blaring Wagner to kite all the zombies together into one pile for execution.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Fast Zombies fuse together to form Fast Zombie Voltron. At that point, the Japanese call upon GODZILLA to incinerate that god damn 500ft tall man-meat abomination.

Oldbased

> Than U
I thought the movie was ok, I haven't really yet watched a zombie flick I didn't like. Even the cheesy ones I've watched several times.
Purchased it on Vudu with the Cloverfield bundle. My friends/family on my linked UV account apparently watched it as well yesterday so worth the cost at least for me.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I didnt care for it too much. White looters, white zombies and white hobos in newark nj? So spanish kid shows up no explanation about what happened to his parents and he made it out?

My biggest beef. How does a zombie disease with an incubation time of ten seconds spread globally? I mean as was shown, a plane overrun with zombies doesnt last very long. The zombie scenes were good, i didnt mind the cgi too much. When they thought jerry died they wasted no time chucking the wfie her kids and spanish kid off the boat. The resources spent sending them to nova scotia easily outweigh the costs of letting stay onboard. Not a completely terrible film but not something i would recommend to anyone or ever watch again.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I thought the point of them talking about the incubation time was that the original people who got sick lasted like a day or so and then it started to "speed up" to an hour, then 10 minutes, 10 seconds etc.

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thought this was decidedly average with some of it bordering on the downright stupid. To me it didn't seem to know what type of movie it wanted to be and just fizzled out.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I didn't leave the theater hating it but when I tried watching it a second time (omg unrated cut) I was just bored to tears. The replay value on this one for me was zero. I shut it off after Israel.