Would you ever cheat on your other half?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Nobody ever said you can't choose not to, but the biological catalysts are still there. You may not like it, but you can't wish it away with your extreme scenarios. You never heard a woman say "I don't know what came over me" "I don't know what I was thinking" "I'm usually not like that"? Yeah, something flipped the switch and instincts took over. Sure she could have made a different decision but that doesn't discount the part biology played in the decision she DID make.
Yeah, those totally aren't just lame ass excuses when they can't come up with any other excuse. "I don't know what came over me officer, I just woke up with 27 dead bodies around me lol".

Viktor

Molten Core Raider
Never cheated. Been the guy some girl cheated with. Felt guilty towards to guy, but the sex was omgawesome ;p

Cut loads of my female friends out of my social life for my own (and my relation's) safety. Feel guilty when some hot piece of ass turns me on. So pretty sure that situation being right for it I'd cheat. So I just prevent such situations from happening. 'the urge' sucks
frown.png

Needless

Toe Sucker
everything has a price amirite? 5 MILLION DOLLARS TO PUT YOUR D IN ME SIR.
w-w-well.. o..okay then
frown.png

Wintermute_sl

shitlord
The fuck its not her instinct. You think tricking a man into fatherhood is the decision of a rational actor? I don't know what romantic fantasy land you live in, but in the America I see all around us base instincts are winning out over rational decision making everywhere you look. Thinking with your brain not your hormones IS the exception, not the rule.
I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I am not saying these thingsdon'thappen. People make shitty decisions all the time (hell, I once listened to Nickleback), but opting out of responsibility and claiming that you had no choice or that it is excusable because of your biology is bullshit. I think tricking a man into fatherhood is reprehensible and I think cheating is reprehensible and if you choose to let instinct win over rationality I think that's a shitty choice and the responsibility rests on you, not your biology. It doesn't matter if it's the exception or the rule. People rationalize their shitty decisions all sorts of ways this particular one just pisses me off because it implies that you don't have a choice and that it should be acceptable. You do, and it isn't. Yeah, maybe it's going to get lonely up here in my ivory tower but I'm not going to make the decision to be an asshole just because everyone else is doing it. The majority of people do lots of things I don't do. At the end of the day, I believe I have a choice and I choose not to cheat.

Yeah, but in those examples, do you ignore those urges for decades at a time? Like, do you think people who avoid sweet foods never once in 40 years end up slipping and having a snack?

Not saying that cheating is ok, but to say that those things are comparable is lying.
No, I wouldn't say those things are a perfect analogy. My point was simply that it's possible to over ride a biological urge. Obviously the consequences are not the same. I'm not going to destroy the person I love if I eat a cookie. If I was, I'm pretty sure I'd be okay with giving up cookies.

Vim_sl

shitlord
Last time I checked, your pussy doesn't get wet or your dick hard when you want a fucking cookie. At least not the baked kind.

The sooner humanity stops putting sexual encounters on a pedestal, the sooner it will become a more non-"special" thing we keep worshiping as some sacred ritual, and the sooner we can focus on more important things like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-NkX...youtu.be&t=27s

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Your dick doesn't get hard when you want a cookie?

I may need to see a doctor.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Cheat early to have something to come back with for yourself after you brea up and find out she blew 5 other guys. It's win or win

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I've cheated on every gf I've ever had and even some gf's that are multiplied by the square root of -1!

Heckler_sl

shitlord
Nobody ever said you can't choose not to, but the biological catalysts are still there. You may not like it, but you can't wish it away with your extreme scenarios. You never heard a woman say "I don't know what came over me" "I don't know what I was thinking" "I'm usually not like that"? Yeah, something flipped the switch and instincts took over. Sure she could have made a different decision but that doesn't discount the part biology played in the decision she DID make.
Your point is entirely moot. You're always going to have people who think one way or the other. Either you have two people who are polygamous, for which you need communication to come to that agreement, or you have two people who are monogamous, in which case everything's fine. If you have a person who is monogamous and you're the one who thinks that a perceived natural prerogative somehow excuses you sleeping around, you either have to convey that fact to your partner, or you act like an asshole and break the trust of relationship. In short, having multiple partners is fine, as long as you have an agreement with your partner. If you don't, then break up and find someone who thinks the way you do, instead of acting like an asshole.

Mikey

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I could never cheat on my wife. She's a nurse and has told me she'd kill me in my sleep and they'd never know she did it. My wife doesn't make hollow threats. I have a healthy respect for my own life, so out of fear of getting caught, NO. I would not cheat on her.

Now, if she dies in a train wreck, I DO have a list of gals I'm gonna start fucking, and in a certain order to boot.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
Last time I checked, your pussy doesn't get wet or your dick hard when you want a fucking cookie.
Your mouth starts salivating though. Natural biological response that is relatively easy to ignore unless you have serious impulse control issues. Now, if you are trying to say that once your dick gets hard, it is impossible to make the choice not to fuck...well, that would have made high school a whole lot more rapey.

I think the real issue here is impulse control. People with a lack of impulse control will inevitably rationalize their actions, because to admit that you are a horrible person due to your lack of ability to control your own actions is too damaging to most people's egos. So, blame it on some other agency...such as your biological programming.

Basically, people with higher impulse control are more successful people (and probably just all around better, too...but that is subjective):http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/0...0-years-later/

Oh, and funny videos of kids attempting to resist eating a marshmallow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_oy9614HQ(I love the fact that the redhead girl eats it before the administrator even leaves the room...fits every experience I've ever had with gingers).

Big Derg_sl

shitlord
No. I view cheating as a sign of weak character. It shows you disregard the feelings of your SA. If you can so easily risk destroying your relationship for temporary gratification then I don't think you're mature enough to be in a relationship in the first place. You may as well stay single and bar hop.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, those totally aren't just lame ass excuses when they can't come up with any other excuse. "I don't know what came over me officer, I just woke up with 27 dead bodies around me lol".
Women rationalize so well and so deeply that they end up believing those lame excuses as if they were literally the truth. You don't have to have been cheated on to realize it, they do it every day with smaller decisions. In a sense they are telling you the truth because they ingrain their rationalizations so well that they literally believe their own bullshit. Men don't do this generally. That's why we tend to have all these silly codes of honor and behavior (military, police, bros before ho's) that women don't bind themselves to. They are loyal to themselves first and foremost. They aren't unfailingly loyal to a man, as many men who lost their ability to provide can attest. And they sure as hell aren't loyal to other women, if you think that you are severely misled.

Like I said, you don't have to have been cheated on to realize this but it brings it home pretty damn well. A woman will drop your ass in a heartbeat, make a ton of noise about how upset she is about the whole thing, but move on physically and emotionally much faster than males. This shit isn't conscious, its part of how the female mind operates. We as men expect them to work under the rules we hold in esteem but they don't and they use it against us.

I promise all of you guys going on about how you'll never cheat have partners who have come extremely close to cheating on you, more than once. Many of them probably have and you will never know. Just like you'll never know their actual number of prior sexual partners. Women get hit on by better (in her immediate perception) guys than you every day more than once. By contrast we rarely, some of us never, get even slutty women coming up to us and making themselves available. Yeah in college at bars or spring break or something, but not the typical 30+ guy with a wife or long term girl doing 9-5's and paying bills. You could be in contact with that kind of sluttiness by yourself at those stages in life, but if so you don't have a moral leg to stand on about cheating really anyway. /rambling

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anytime I ever even get the thought in my head I think about if she cheated on me how I would feel and it snaps me back to reality.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
No. I view cheating as a sign of weak character. It shows you disregard the feelings of your SA. If you can so easily risk destroying your relationship for temporary gratification then I don't think you're mature enough to be in a relationship in the first place. You may as well stay single and bar hop.
This, I think cheating on your other half is about the lowest thing you can do to them other than physical abuse. Will never understand why people put themselves in that position.

Vim_sl

shitlord
Why is that sort of mentality (which I can appreciate, don't get me wrong - but I am far from making that sort of commitment, yet) not make you just in it for the sex? Albeit, just with one person.

Promising or vowing to yourself or your SO you won't have sex with another person, places an extreme importance in sex. I thought exclusive relationships are way more than just the sex? Yea, it is presumed that if you're in that type of exclusive relationship you spend most, if not all, of your non-work time with your SO, but you aren't banging for most of that time. So why is it that so many people find it unforgivable, why is the line drawn there? "Oh you banged someone else, that you're never going to see again or put your life aside for, or never developed any real deep connection with - but our relationship that has gone on for 5, 10, 15, 20 years is completely invalid because of that. Really?

I just don't understand that. We set ourselves up for cheating being such a painful and unforgivable thing to find out about, we tell ourselves that is the end all, but should it? Yea, there are a lot of gray areas, but a lot of them exist because we're so unreasonable with it all.

Then again, I've always dated and been with open minded women that aren't threatening my life if I ever did. How is that healthy?

Also, I'm sure it is easier for some people than others. Living in less populated, small town type environments - don't interact with many people. Others live in big cities, college campuses, constantly separated from their SO because of work. Some of you are already married and probably have no choice in the matter, not to mention extremely biased.

I'm not saying cheat, because if you say something you do it and you shouldn't waste other peoples time. If you're promiscuous, let them know, if that doesn't phase them, then fine. But we're only human. Lastly, there is a reason this saying exist "Somethings are better left unsaid"

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really don't think monogamy is a tenable human sexual strategy beyond 6 months to three years depending on the couple. Five-seven years at the far reaches, there's a reason for the "seven year itch" cliche. As an overall mating and companionship strategy I'm not saying marriage or long term monogamy can't work, but purely from a sexual standpoint I think its set up to fail. If you can round off sexuality with a strong set of non sexual bonds that inspire both of you not to cheat as a matter of respect for your partner, then the chance of it working for decades is better.

The problem is most romantic relationships are forged in a sexual genesis. In the heat of passion, emotion and hormones, we dive into relatively youthful relationships without the experience and knowledge for either man or woman to truly know what they will want or what will work for them long term. Painfully, we learn from those mistakes. Thus we see all the time in the second half of life, people finding much better committed relationships than they were used to while younger. This also assumes individuals intelligent and self examining enough to adjust their strategies and expectations for the better.

Unfortunately, many lack those capacities and simply make the same mistakes repeatedly for a lifetime. Those youthful relationships all too often bear children and shared property as well, which can follow you literally and mentally into your future and impact any attempts at subsequent partnerships.