WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
There is no reason for them to do this now. They still have more a lot subs than any mmo with a monthly fee. The appeal will always be there so theyd be better off waiting until there subs are extremely low or something comes out that can actually compete with them.

Im aware that there subs are a lot lower than they have been also but eq2 which came out at the same time just released a tle 9months ago and their subs are a lot lower

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why wouldn't they charge an active subcription? You think that shit should be free? Are EQ progressions servers free?

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Why wouldn't they charge an active subcription? You think that shit should be free? Are EQ progressions servers free?
Need a regular sub for them. So if you are paying the $15 for live then you're good to go. If you're doing the FTP then you can't access them

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
A Vanilla server would be fun, but what would be nice would be a progression server to allow some of us who didn't stay subbed nonstop for 12 years to snag up some of the shit we might of missed out on.

rmack_sl

shitlord
A Vanilla server would be fun, but what would be nice would be a progression server to allow some of us who didn't stay subbed nonstop for 12 years to snag up some of the shit we might of missed out on.
They would be better off doing progression servers like diablo seasons. The server will be up to nax within 4-5 months and most won't stick around when it's cleared. Most wow vanilla servers shutdown within a year anyway, so we don't even know how most will do after a year a has pasted. The p99 eq server is still going after 2 expansion releases because the core leveling game is still relevant.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They would be better off doing progression servers like diablo seasons. The server will be up to nax within 4-5 months and most won't stick around when it's cleared. Most wow vanilla servers shutdown within a year anyway, so we don't even know how most will do after a year a has pasted. The p99 eq server is still going after 2 expansion releases because the core leveling game is still relevant.
I think the ones that have shut down have nothing to do with gameplay and instead have to do with them being pay-to-win and the admins stealing money, or Blizzard shutting them down.

rmack_sl

shitlord
I think the ones that have shut down have nothing to do with gameplay and instead have to do with them being pay-to-win and the admins stealing money, or Blizzard shutting them down.
That's always the reason they shut down. The point was we don't have a vanilla server that has been popular for over a year to even see how the server is doing that far down the road. Classic EQ servers do well after a year because the leveling game is still relevant even after then 2nd expansion. EQ has a lot more bottlenecks in the game that slow things down other then vanilla wow. Most people enjoy the private server experience because its free and you get quite a few fresh servers every other year to start over on.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
That's always the reason they shut down. The point was we don't have a vanilla server that has been popular for over a year to even see how the server is doing that far down the road. Classic EQ servers do well after a year because the leveling game is still relevant even after then 2nd expansion. EQ has a lot more bottlenecks in the game that slow things down other then vanilla wow. Most people enjoy the private server experience because its free and you get quite a few fresh servers every other year to start over on.
The rebirth has been active for a lot longer than a year. Still going fine.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
The rebirth has been active for a lot longer than a year. Still going fine.
I was going to say Rebirth. Hell I created an undead rogue when I lived in my old house and that was almost four years ago. Now that I think about it I had a level 30 paladin on rebirth before that.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Fuck it that would be fine too I am sure, make it like a Diablo season and give people 6 months of "X" content and then let them roll off onto their regular server at the end. There are many ways they could go about it, I think overall a few alternate ruleset servers wouldn't be bad for their bottom line either. Make a firiona vie style server with max 1 toon per server and no BoP. Make a cross faction server, whatever keeps the money flowing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And to say that they shouldn't do alternate rule-set servers because they still have a ton of Subs for their Live game is kinda silly. Isn't that when you should be doing this type of thing? Or at least getting it ready? When you have the resources to spend on it, and it's not some half ass thing done out of desperation to pay the bills?

They do it now, they have the Live game, and then these servers, both just printing money for them. Sounds like a win/win to me for Blizzard and the community.

rmack_sl

shitlord
I was going to say Rebirth. Hell I created an undead rogue when I lived in my old house and that was almost four years ago. Now that I think about it I had a level 30 paladin on rebirth before that.
They also have the lowest pop out of any of the vanilla servers, the original owner went mia about a year ago and took a lot of money with him (server was down for 6 months). Also the server has been up for about 4 years with 6 months of down time but they just progressed to the war effort (they buffed exp from quests to hopefully rise the population a little to get the war effort completed). It's really hard to judge anything by this server since it's been nothing but low pops, painfully slow releasing of content (ZG before MC was even released) and drama the whole time its been active.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They also have the lowest pop out of any of the vanilla servers, the original owner went mia about a year ago and took a lot of money with him (server was down for 6 months). Also the server has been up for about 4 years with 6 months of down time but they just progressed to the war effort (they buffed exp from quests to hopefully rise the population a little to get the war effort completed). It's really hard to judge anything by this server since it's been nothing but low pops, painfully slow releasing of content (ZG before MC was even released) and drama the whole time its been active.
Kinda like all the private servers then?

Rebirth did have a nice rollback after their downtime too.

rmack_sl

shitlord
Kinda like all the private servers then?

Rebirth did have a nice rollback after their downtime too.
Most balloon up within the first few months then reach nax before the owner banks on the server. Rebirth has been around the longest but is still way behind most servers that reach nax in 6 months then vanish. Kronos seems to be doing very well though i'm sure the ship will sail very soon.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
Vengeance (Vengeance of Azeroth) is opening a new TBC PVE server this friday june 17th @ 6pm. I don't know the rule set or the popularity for this server for sure... but it seems pretty legit.

Stonetalon is a 1x No Boost PvE Server that is directed for the enthusiast / purist players who not only enjoy the end-game content but really enjoy the adventure getting there. It is all about the journey, the people you meet and the friends you make along the way.
forum post

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm trying Dragonwrath, a 4.3.4 patch server. It's a 1x but has a RaF feature to speed up levelling for those that want to rush it. Also it's Cataclysm, so it's both faster and easier to level up.
What I found hylarious is that due to the existance of a LFD feature, nobody speaks in groups, there is little to zero chance to make friends unless you accept one of the dozen spam guild invites and get lucky right away.
Is this proof enough that modern WoW killed community in the name of convenience or not?

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
What I found hylarious is that due to the existance of a LFD feature, nobody speaks in groups, there is little to zero chance to make friends unless you accept one of the dozen spam guild invites and get lucky right away.
Is this proof enough that modern WoW killed community in the name of convenience or not?
I don't think it is solely LFD. I think there are other factors that contribute more to the lack of communication in groups.

1: Content is much easier. You no longer have to stop before hard pulls and work out a strat or CC order. There isn't any reason to really discuss any trash pull or boss in a dungeon. After you have done a dungeon and read a boss journal you basically just zone into a dungeon and AOE everything until the boss fights. The boss fights while more complex just are not that hard. Rattlegore from vanilla is probably a more hardcore dungeon boss fight than anything in WoD.

2: You are always doing something. Due to nature of most classes and their rotations you are constantly busy. Unless you are in vent there is just not really much time to shoot the shit.

3. No downtime.

Rushing through a dungeon while finger blasting your rotation and never needing to stop has made it so you will never need or even have the time for casual chat. Every single time I go back and play EQ (P99 or Phin) I have always had at least 9 or 10 people on my friends list by level 10. Classic EQ content is not really difficult and there have definitely been times where the only group chat has been "INC ****" for an hour but longer encounters, less key spam and having to sit on your ass helps facilitate casual conversation.

LFD came in at a time when dungeon content was already a joke. The heroic dungeons at the release of Cata had some difficulty and there was more at least strategic talk before some pulls and some occurrences of downtime that allowed you to shoot the shit even if it was only for a minute. After they nerfed the dungeons it went back wrath levels of not giving a shit about who was in your group and stayed there. The only conversations that happened in wrath before LFD were the initial "LFG/LFM", once you got in the group that was pretty much the end of chat until the "gg" at the end or drama related shit because someone rolled NEED or fucked up.

The only thing LFD really did was remove LFG and LFM spam from general and city chat.

I will say that *cross server* LFD was a mistake though as it took away some realm identity and the initial implementation of it in terms of finding cross-realm friends and playing with them again was pretty much shit. The idea of directly teleporting to the dungeon is also something I struggle with. On one hand I liked the experience of having to run to the dungeon and the random pvp encounters that crossing through enemy/contested territory would bring up but on the other I also remember how annoying it was after doing it a dozen of times. If the system had existed from the very beginning and was kept server specific I don't think Vanilla, TBC, and most of Wrath would have went any differently.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I kinda agree, but when you see this on a private server, where people usually go for the "good ol' days", it's kinda depressing. At this point play retail, because there are no differences.