Writers Guild Strike 2023

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There's no fighting the LLM revolution, they're silly for trying. They need to learn to work WITH AI rather than try to regulate against it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So... am I the only one who really hasn't noticed a single significant change to their existence with all of them on strike for what? Better part of a year now?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
So... am I the only one who really hasn't noticed a single significant change to their existence with all of them on strike for what? Better part of a year now?

Same here, I realized that all the newest TV shows and movies are shit so why does it matter if there are no new ones.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it must be all those interracial and gay couples watching those shows because every commercial only shows Interracial and gay couples in them.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Because lots of shows and movies were already finished or in post-production by the time of the strike. Since production of new episodes is now effectively on hold, you'll notice even larger gaps between seasons for example. Or some shows just might get canceled.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
You will in about a year or so. And I'm fine with that.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
At this rate we may have close to a two year drought in movies and TV if this doesn't end relatively soon.
The "parallel economy" actually has a good chance of taking a foothold in the entertainment sector.

• 1Like

Cybsled

While I know it is popular to dunk on shitty shows, keep in mind good shows sometimes get the axe because of the strikes. The Terminator TV show got prematurely canceled in large part due to the writer strikes at the time

The "parallel economy" actually has a good chance of taking a foothold in the entertainment sector.

That would also require they produce stuff that doesn't suck balls. With very few exceptions, most of it has been grade Z trash (in terms of stuff you've actually heard of, like that Kevin Sorbo direct-to-streaming crap lol)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i predict there will be more indy films put out and we will have some "new" content to talk about. there is always stuff being made outside of Hollywood and its a perfect time to start putting out this content. make a name for yourself. Roberto Rodrigueze made El Mariachi for 7500 dollars using friends and family as actors in Mexico and it made him a big star. Kevin Smith did the same with Clerks. you dont need Hollywood now or back then. they will happiiy distribute these indy films because it doesnt cost them anything and they will reap the profits. all you need is a little ingenuity and determination. like that GnR song says in the lyrics, "I just found a million dollars that someone forgot". its all out there waiting to be picked up.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
You will in about a year or so. And I'm fine with that.
I think you're overestimating how much in movies and TV I consume.... But OK, some people will notice in around a year. Assuming digitally generated actors and scripts aren't rolling out by then.

Cybsled

i predict there will be more indy films put out and we will have some "new" content to talk about. there is always stuff being made outside of Hollywood and its a perfect time to start putting out this content. make a name for yourself. Roberto Rodrigueze made El Mariachi for 7500 dollars using friends and family as actors in Mexico and it made him a big star. Kevin Smith did the same with Clerks. you dont need Hollywood now or back then. they will happiiy distribute these indy films because it doesnt cost them anything and they will reap the profits. all you need is a little ingenuity and determination. like that GnR song says in the lyrics, "I just found a million dollars that someone forgot". its all out there waiting to be picked up.

The last time this happened, all that occurred was more "reality" TV got produced instead and they began importing more entertainment from other countries.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
And now there is still shitloads of reality TV on top of tiktok, youtube, twitch, and any other number of mediums for morons to watch morons, on top of endless fucking hours of dogshit TV that is being pumped out on top of all the media in history that has been produced.

I am sure we'll survive if Rando_1324 background character from whatever piece of shit isn't getting paid stupid amount of money to play pretend like a fucking faggot. The number of people who seem so dependent on this goblin run cesspool industry to provide them with never ending stories and dopamine hits is sad.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The last time this happened, all that occurred was more "reality" TV got produced instead and they began importing more entertainment from other countries.
i dont watch reality TV anymore because youtube is actually reality TV, i imagine the networks will start approaching YT creators and they will work with the networks, a lot of YT creators have done mainstream cable already. i dont mind. its going to be an improvement over whats there now. this is all good stuff. the writer and actors on strike will get fucked but the audience will win. i'm on the audience's side.

Cybsled

i dont watch reality TV anymore because youtube is actually reality TV, i imagine the networks will start approaching YT creators and they will work with the networks, a lot of YT creators have done mainstream cable already. i dont mind. its going to be an improvement over whats there now. this is all good stuff. the writer and actors on strike will get fucked but the audience will win. i'm on the audience's side.

Some have, but the success hasn't always translated well to traditional media.

• 1Like

Burns

While I know it is popular to dunk on shitty shows, keep in mind good shows sometimes get the axe because of the strikes. The Terminator TV show got prematurely canceled in large part due to the writer strikes at the time

That would also require they produce stuff that doesn't suck balls. With very few exceptions, most of it has been grade Z trash (in terms of stuff you've actually heard of, like that Kevin Sorbo direct-to-streaming crap lol)
If I have to sacrifice (enjoying) every show I like, which is maybe 2 or 3 a year, or every other year at this point, just to see actors, writers, and studios suffer and hopefully lose influence/clout, then I am cool with that. If a show like Chernobyl or Andor never gets made, due to the strike, I may grumble a little, but so be it. Seriously, fuck them all.

I am hoping they are all in a no-win scenario. If the Actor/Writers win with AI, and the studios can't use AI even close to it's full potential, then other places outside of Hollywood will, and take their viewers/money. If the studios win, and get to use AI, then they will pour money into specialty tools, that will eventually get leaked, and used by people outside of Hollywood, which will take their viewers/money.

Last edited:
  • 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I’m sure they can Learn2Code. It will be alright. The hard truth is that some jobs wont be coming back. They are casualties of a changing economy.

• 1Like