WWYD if your girlfriend said she was on birth control but wasnt and got preggo?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sticking the dick in the crazy without the crazy protection sheath has consequences welcome to life.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you compound the actual amount amount spent by 7% over the remaining time period it probably comes out to a million.
Interesting point. Power series sum of 1.07^X from 1 -> 18 is a multiplier of 36.37896. So, the per year cost would have to be ~27.5k for a total cost 1M by an age of 18. Which I think is about twice too high, but that obviously depends on your locale. If you're going to pay for private school, you could easily eclipse that. Or pay for college via a savings fund while they grow up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know what a kid costs but $50k a year is clearly nonsense. I have a friend with 5 kids and I would be shocked if he makes over $80K and his wife doesn't work. They don't have a lot of cash but they own a home, two cars, keep all the kids dressed, go on vacations, etc.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Nah, a ton of external factors effect it. When my wife got pregnant, I know for a fact she was taking it at the same time every day, and she didn't want another kid, not right now, due to some prtty serious medical issues with previous pregnancies. Those percentages they put up on the net don't mean shit without context.
Provide some context. How long was she taking it before it failed? What were the external factors that led to it failing? Inquiring minds need to know!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
She was taking it for almost a year when the "happy event" went down. She had been on antibiotics, but that was two months prior to the event. So the answer is we don't know and probably never will know why it failed. But she took it every nigh before bed, without fail, at about 10 pm. Like I said and have mentioned in the contextually appropriate threads, she had some serious medical issues and was not fucking around with the risks that getting pregnant again would bring. She doesn't drink or smoke. She wasn't working out at the time, so it wasn't over-exertion, although I have read that is a thing. She wasn't taking any other medication at the time other than the occasional advil for headaches and excedrine for migraines. We're at a loss and so was the OB about why it happened. But like her ob said, thisdoeshappen, so click it or ticket.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sounds like you really love your kid.
I do, more than you'll ever know. Having a "surprise" third kid, the third one in 3 years, takes some wind out of your sails. Financially, logistically, there are a lot of things you have to refigure in your life and sacrifices your existing family has to make. And when you were taking precautions and it should be a sure thing that it doesn't happen, and then it happens anyway, yeah that sucks. At the time. Life goes on, bro.

Tangurena_sl

shitlord
could he just sign over all rights to the kid to her, AND NOT have to pay any kinda child support?
No. You can't sign away someone else's rights - in this case, the child's right to support. If she does put your name on the birth certificate, in most states you have 2 years from birth to challenge it. If you fail to do so, like because you never knew, then you're screwed and on the hook for child support. If the mother ends up on welfare, she has to name the father so the state can get reimbursed.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I know a guy whose new wife decided that she wanted a baby without consultation and stopped taking the pill as a surprise to her husband. He was tempted to leave her but decided against it for whatever reason.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Even on the pill, all it takes it some antibiotics to make the pill useless. Most people don't read the long receipt they get with their medicine, but it could save you from having a kiddo.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
That's how Trex got herself knocked up with BRO. Abortions save you from having a kiddo too.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I don't know what a kid costs but $50k a year is clearly nonsense. I have a friend with 5 kids and I would be shocked if he makes over $80K and his wife doesn't work. They don't have a lot of cash but they own a home, two cars, keep all the kids dressed, go on vacations, etc.
I don't call kids Little Tax Exemptions for nothing. Plus federal and state assistance, etc.

TPDDODD_sl

shitlord
I saw someone say giving their kid the best shit in life and said private schooling, that shit is laughable and a huge waste of money. My dad has been paying for my sister to goto a private school since she started school, she is now 16. Shit is no different than public schools when it comes to the other students, its actually a little worse because majority of the kids there have rich parents, so parties and drug use is a lot worse there than in a public school. And unless youre living in the hood, the teaching isnt going to be much better either. Doesnt help that the little shits are someone of the most self entitled little fucks youll ever meet, they dont know shit outside of asking their parents for money.
Success is possible if the following applies.

If you are poor or middle class, and your kid is very smart, and a hard worker, and a sociable person, and is willing to obey his parents, and his parents are willing to spend the time with him or her motivating and providing encouragement for years.
Then, successful graduation opens the following doors:

High profile University acceptance offers; Post-graduation job offers; access to referances that actually opens employment doors (the rich and /or well-connected parents of your class-mates, or friends of those, or almer maters of the school); friends or acquaintances who are actually rich and connected, who are willing to point a fellow schoolmate in the right job direction(class-mates, or parents of classmates); job opportunities your kid would otherwise not even know about. This effect can last up to ten years post graduation.

If your kid doesnt go to private school, then those options (and therefore doors of opportunity) are much less likely to appear. Even when those opportunities appear and are unrelated to the above described contacts, the name and reputation of the private school gets your foot into the door.
The name and reputation of the public school may actually close said door.

If your kid is stupid, lazy, and disobedient, then you are right in saying it is a useless impoverishing enterprise to send them to private school.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Btw go to a planned parenthood (haven't read the whole thread yet) But they used to give condoms for free. I used to go there and get bag fulls at a time.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I worked with two men that this happened to--one married her and has been happily married for about 20 years, and the other one turned into a giant dickhead and makes his ex-girlfriend's & his daughter's life as difficult as he possibly can. Funny how it brings out either the best or worst in a person.