X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you left disgusted because the marketing people brought their families?
I meant to say, the only way the theatre was filled up, was cuz ppl brought their familes in (originally it was only 1 ticket and guest only). Movie was terrible, actually the families left sad too, usually when you leave a theatre there's a "buzz", these kids looked like drones at the end.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It seems the great comic book movie lesson of 2016 is going to be "avoid any quarter of the year that contains a Marvel release".

Other than "make a movie that's worth a shit" of course. That one is an eternal lesson.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So many characters were misused,

Magneto - isn t magneto for a lot of the movie, you get to see him work at the factory and hang out with his family a good part of his screen time
Quicksilver - Tried way to hard to pull off DoFP
Storm - Was interesting for the first 3 minutes then went to shit after becoming a horseman - Dont think she spoke after becoming a horseman
Angel - Like mentioned CGI looked fake as shit, i think there was a couple parts As angel where he seems to levitate and his wings dont even move, he also never talked during the movie
Psylocke - Never really spoke in the movie
Cyclops - never cared for his character and his brother Havok was much more interesting
Nightcrawler - needed to watch X-2 and get this version out of my head - Again I dont think he said anything the entire movie besides stuff like "My Name is Nightcrawler" "Whats a mall"
Jubilee - has one line or two, no reason for her in the movie
Apocalypse - Everything is wrong with this character top to bottom

Beast - was decent I dont remember him strong enough to pick up vehicles and throw them 50 yards
Havok - Surprisingly one of the only good characters
Prof X - shows off his acting chops as always
Jean - One of the only new characters that wasnt complete dog shit and had some development

The only people that talk during this movie is Mcavoy, Fassdender, Laurence, Beast, and Apocalyple the other 8 characters dont have shit to say most of the film. After thinking about it Magneto's wife had more dialogue then the horseman and the new X-men i'm pretty sure

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, its not a masterpiece but its not some Bat Nipple shitshow the edge lords are making it sound like, either. Its slightly behind DoFP, so if you liked that movie you will enjoy this one a fair amount. Its main flaws were a lack of exposition on the main villain, JLaw hogging screen time while phoning it in, lack of real use of the 80s era in the main narrative, and having too much cast bloat. Main plusses were having an actual external big bad guy, Fassbender's acting, Quicksilver, and the mental battle at the end was well done. In fact, a better ending would have been to have Prof X win that fight and have them bury him under the capstone, again, instead of Phoenix Deus Exing the shit out of it. Then at least, you could have made a nod to 80s issues by having a MAD situation between mutants and the rest of the world, i.e. "Prof X is the only dude to beat this guy and if you fuck with us we will let him loose again" type of thing. Main reason I liked DoFP more was it made a more effective use of the 70s.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Vvoids posts are 100% on the money. I just didn't get into the depth he did because I wasn't sure if it was just me. It's an incredibly disappointing movie with a couple of great scenes.

We just expect more since The Last Stand. This isn't nearly as bad but it belongs in that category. It's just a mess from top to bottom and a total reboot.

Don't touch Dark Phoenix as your OMG "go to" in a cheap reboot like this one. Fuck. And Quicksilver is almost embarrassing. Exact same scene different song. And none of the drama had a chance to build. Especially the Magneto connection to Quicksilver. Most of this movie felt like fan service scenes for 6 weeks and then some poor soul spent 2 years editing this shit into a movie that was supposed to make sense.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Star Trek nerds need to see this and tell me this isn't Star Trek V.

It is. Apoc walks around saying let me feel your pain for 60 minutes and buffs people.

Siliconemelons

Star Trek nerds need to see this and tell me this isn't Star Trek V.

It is. Apoc walks around saying let me feel your pain for 60 minutes and buffs people.
Did they also visit "god" then Kirk/ProfX kills "god" and proclaims he was not scared because of God?... that is after releasing everyone's pain! But I need my pain damnit! and necked ohura

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As a star Trek Nerd, this is not Trek 5. There was no naked Uhura dance scene on the planet of galactic peace, no Spock sniper scoping god with a Bird of Prey, and Apoc was bribing people with offers of power and vengeance (vs Sybok being a religious nut who actually thought he was helping people by removing their painful memories). A better comparison would be Samuel L Jackson's character in Kingsman who basically recruited already powerful people by offering them the means to be among the survivors when he brought down his culling. To be fair, Sybok's motivation was actually more clear and understood than Apoc's was in this movie, which is one of its primary flaws.

They definitely needed more screen time of Apoc making his case to people. The rare instances they did were some of the better parts of the movie. Its especially important with an all powerful entity that the story be stronger and the dialog spot on or you end up with the same issues Superman stories have. When either your protagonist or antagonist is basically omnipotent, your story can't center around fighting because it is basically a forgone conclusion. That's why I wish they had gone Phoenix and Prof X teaming up to mind fuck him while Mags drops the capstone on him to trap him again. It would have been a much better ending and a better 80s allegory than what they ended with. There was definitely a better movie in there that got lost in the editing process and I suspect that the extended versions will end up containing a lot more dialog and less CGI action wankfests, much like the Rogue edition of DofP did. I liked it for what it was and its still better than any of the pre-First Class movies.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Original script called for Apoc and the THREE horsemen of the apocalypse. That's why Psylockes role is so non existent, she wasn't supposed to be the 4th horseman (the other 3 were solid). It was gonna be Xavier as the last horseman (4th) towards the end. They couldn't make it work and someone showed Singer Oliva Munn fan art and then Deadpool, so yea, why not make her the 4th!

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Apocalypse story should have been 2 movies and included Mr Sinister, you cant cram this story and creating the horseman in 1 film.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Its slightly behind DoFP, so if you liked that movie you will enjoy this one a fair amount.
Completely nonsensical statement.

I re-watched both First Class and DOFP this past week, both much better than this. I've never come out of any comic book film thinking "that was terrible" until this one

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Just left the theater, but it exceeded low expectations. Think i liked it better than DOFP even.

Franchise could really use a break from Mystique and Magneto angst.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah they've gone full emo while Nightcrawler is getting brain freeze at the Mall.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I forgot, there was something else good! Except it was actually bad, but I liked it because I'm a metalhead from the 80s.

They played Metallica's Four Horsemen when he recruited Angel, which is one of my favorite songs of all time. Except if you aren't into metal it probably sounded really out of place.

They also listed Venom's Countess Bathory earlier in the film, but I must have missed it somehow, so while it is an awesome song I can't say if it was used well in the movie or not.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Completely nonsensical statement.

I re-watched both First Class and DOFP this past week, both much better than this. I've never come out of any comic book film thinking "that was terrible" until this one
You liked BvS?