X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

Sterling

El Presidente
Patrick Stewart as Xavier doesn't count or?
He was fine. Some of the other actors were fine considering what they were given as well. Was more of a comment on people bitching about Wolverine's casting when that was the least of this franchise's problems.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ya better trailer than i thought.

WANTED the Phoenix "flames" around her at the end closing scene. woman with the white hair i assume is emma frost?

emma frost is a blonde. supposedly, the character goes by the name "Smith" and is a shapeshifter?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Days of Future's Past was still a great movie. Granted it was followed with shit, but that doesn't make it any less good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

yeah, i just rewatched DOFP. there was definitely some handwaving, plot wise, but it was still a pretty good movie.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Both first class and DOFP were good movies that would have been great with a few tweaks. Laurence not being cast and them not completely fucking up Emma Frost with terrible casting would have gone a long way.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I had actually forgotten about DoFP in my post. I'd put that there with First class and 2nd Wolverine as competent, coherent movies. I do not think it's great, but it's also not dogshit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
June 7, did they try to time this to have as much Game of Thrones watchers as possible? (s8 ends at the end of may)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Trailer doesn't look too bad, but I still have no faith in this being a good movie. I hope I am wrong and it's awesome.

Right now as it stands, even with the trailer looking good, I have no intention of going to the theater for it. It will take some serious recommendation for me to see this in the theater.

• 1Like

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I was slightly underwhelmed by DoFP, given how much I liked First Class and with Singer back for the first time since X2 (or whatever that movie's actual title was); Apocalypse was a slog that had me hoping they'd shelve the whole X-Men universe. Hell, to this day, I don't know which timeline Deadpool is in, if any. Burn everything but Ryan Reynold's contract down and let The Mouse take over.

Them promoting Mystique's death makes it clear that the rumors of Kinberg's incompetence are likely and the only thing this movie has going for it is shock value.

Is it just me, or is this summer movie season extremely weak? Sure, everyone will see Endgame, and hopefully John Wick 3 will bounce back from its own slightly underwhelming entry, but Spider-Man will likely be fine but not as good as Into the Spider-verse, and Captain Marvel will be another Black Panther (i.e. another profoundly middling Marvel entry that I will somehow be a racist and/or sexist monster if I don't think its the greatest movie since Citizen Kane). Is the bound-to-be-a-disaster Dark Phoenix really going to be the fifth best movie of the season? Cripes.

Edit: Well, I actually checked the release calendar, and Shazam could be fun, I have no clue what this version of Hellboy will be, Detective Pikachu is so WTF it could be entertaining, and a MIB spinoff may not be a terrible idea. But is Disney really releasing THREE remakes in 5 months (Dumbo / Aladdin / Lion King)? Talk about intellectually bankrupt.

Last edited:

Fadaar

That guy
Pikachu gonna make ridiculous amounts of money. It's Deadpool 3 for kids.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Trailers looks decent. Going to be lured in to a mediocre movie for sure though. Probably worth it for the Quicksilver and/or Magneto scenes which are usually worth.

Mystique is totally dead though. Jlaw hated all the body makeup bullshit and there's no way after the failings of the last one she wanted to stick around for a full movie. I really hope Phoenix isn't defeated by her "love for Scott" or some dumb shit though.

• 1Like

OneofOne

One of the biggest failings of this franchise was/is the waste of Storm. Such a great, strong character - and a black female at that - they could have ditched Scott the bitch as leader (seriously, since when was Cyclops such an emo bitch?) and had her rock, while appeasing the SJW crowd a bit, but they did nothing with her. Other than give her the worst line ever out of 8? movies.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I do think it'd make these movies better if they'd let the characters have their own movies like the rest of Marvel. It's hard to care about this version of Storm because she's been so underutilized. The Xmen don't really feel like a team at all lately and I think that has something to do with it.

That said, I collected these comics in the 80s back to the start of this story and I thought this last trailer actually looked....good?

I dunno, I still want the whole story so a movie really just doesn't cut it, this would be so much better as an HBO level show.

Crimson

Peasant
Honestly, apart from the Wolverine standalone films, I've found all the X-men films pretty consistently average or above. I'll watch this one too; not in theaters, but when I inevitably get it as a gift from a friend and later resell after a single watch.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The "blonde chick" is Jessica Chastain, she's playing an alien or something, right?

One of the Shi'ar supposedly. Even if they're sticking with the comics, they're trying to stick too much into a single 2.5 hour movie and they're going to end up crowding out the titular character.

• 1Like