X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
there's a whole lot of reasons things keep happening on earth and why recently so there's plenty of ways to go. you could literally just have mutants start showing up for no reason whatsoever only to have it explained by someone like cable or bishop or whomever that mr sinister is actively forcing the x gene to become active. you could have kang be the new thanos and just have some crazy future mutants escape and start manipulating history to win (like terminator in reverse). you could have scarlet witch reverse m-day. you could even have the avengers be worshiped to an extreme extent and people come up with a mutant serum to be more like them. there's all kinds of options for bringing them in. it's not even about what they do, it's just about whether or not it's done well.

they could have mutants start popping up all over the place seemingly out of nowhere then half way through the next series of phases have one of the new supers outed as a skrull. then we get bsg cylons and it'll make perfect sense for people to be wary of mutants

OneofOne

In the comics, people with the X-gene didn't start showing up til the 1900s and only slowly started being born more and more as the century went on.

Not to split hairs, but Apocalypse and the Externals might disagree.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
In the comics, people with the X-gene didn't start showing up til the 1900s and only slowly started being born more and more as the century went on. Can easily just shift that forward to the point where people are only just now in 2019/2020 having active mutations show up.
This requires a massive retconning of Magneto's origins (which might be required, since he's starting to get pretty old now).

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The mutants had several "we're here, among you" moments throughout the comics' lifespan. It's easy enough to start off with a video feed of Prof X standing at a podium announcing the existence of mutants and how they have been in the shadows for decades. Or just have the events in the MCU being the reason for Prof X to start training the mutants he knew about as he saw the need for more defenders against such things. I don't know how you factor Magneto into all of this and quite frankly I don't care. The only time I actually cared about the character was when he was in the radical teacher role, providing an interesting counterpoint to Prof X's approach.

It's probably irrelevant anyways as there's little chance that they're going to manage an ounce of nuance when it comes to the discrimination angle and the movies are going to go too far into the SJW circklejerk, making them not worth watching as anything other than popcorn bait.

• 1Like

j00t

it's amazing how much we wanted x-men back in marvel's hands, now we have it and we're all terrified

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't think it's really a Disney/Marvel thing. I just don't know how you can tell a story dealing with the sort of core subjects like X-Men has without it turning into a feeding frenzy for level of zealotry we have now. How do you tell a story like God loves, Man kills these days without it being based on bullshit? The Christian Fundamentalists of our current time are radical Muslims and SJW's. They aren't going to touch that with a 10 foot pole. So, they'll go the "acceptable" route and have a bunch of red hats being the baddies while they act like Nazis. They'll dig up the mutant concentration camp plots and turn it into being about building walls.

The X comics featured shit like genocide, racism, specism, hatred, supremacy, and a dozen other really complicated nuanced topics that are too far over the head of the average person now. "Orange man bad!" "Humans-first-man bad!" The humans first villains were over-the-top as it was in the comics decades ago let alone what they'd be written like now.

So, you either go down the ideology route in an attempt to be true to the X theme and get forced into cowardice, or you just make a bunch of dumb action flicks and you get The Edgy Avengers.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not to split hairs, but Apocalypse and the Externals might disagree.

Yeah even Wolverine as a more commonly known exception, just didn't feel like being the best kind of correct last night, got my idea across in fewer words. :p

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The best thing that happened in Saturday morning cartoons hangs in the balance

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
If I was Marvel, and wanted to keep the continuity of the MCU intact, and avoid doing too much retconning. I would have mutants be something new, maybe be the result of undoing "the snap", some rare people back from being dusted by the snap are somehow changed and start developing abilities.

Obviously this mean you have to change a lot of backstory, but a lot could be adapted with very little changes. Xavier would just start his school for mutants rather than have it existed for a long time. Maybe he already has a school for "normal" gifted individuals, after becoming a mutant he decide that he would teach mutants instead how to cope with their abilities.

You then have room to grow how the rest of humanity would respond to this. They are used a bit to super-powered individuals, but this sudden large increase in their numbers could cause fear, jealousy, etc...You could then explore a lot of the themes that the X-Men have explored over the years.

I think this approach while not without its flaws, would be better than they have been here all along hiding. While this worked in the 70's and 80's, it's an extremely unlikely story in 2019 with all the surveillance and cellphones that a group mutants would never have been noticed.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Or they should be two separate universes.

These movies would make a hell of a lot more sense story wise if they could just make one offs not having to worry about juggling 20 different story lines and themes.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i think it makes more financial sense for them to figure out how to get X-Men in the current MCU universe. there's a ton of people that are all-in on MCU and watch every movie regardless of any other factors, as evidenced by the number of people saying they're still going to Captain Marvel despite bitching about it.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The cartoon and that era were great. Storm was a brown lady and everyone liked Storm. There weren't articles written pretending people cared one way or the other or made a huge deal about it. Zero manufactured controversy surrounding it.

Then again watch someone find all this shit and I was just living in happy land.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The X stuff and the rest of the Marvel Universe never really meshed well outside of a few instances that they were pitted against eachother. You had some outliers like Beast being just as much an Avenger as an X-Men, but the rest of it was just lame crossovers that didn't really work. The X stuff was just a separate little world-within-a-world. I'm sure you'll eventually see an AvX movie, but beyond that, I wouldn't worry too much about it outside of a few references similar to the existing MCU stuff.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Fuck yeah I did, that shit was crack to me as a kid. Doom is a bad ass, seeing Galactus get pimp slapped was great, Hulk holding up a mountain...

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Fair enough. It didn't do much for me, but still, it falls under the few times they were pitted against eachother allowance. I was mostly talking about the cameo appearances (wolverine appears in ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRYTHING)

The crossovers worked best for me when it was the Mutants telling everyone else to fuck off out of their business as they couldn't possibly understand the situation, and the Avengers being holier-than-though pricks thinking they knew better, but with a point as the mutant's shit was spilling over into the rest of the world. "Where were the Avengers when Genosha died, Iron Man? Where were you when our babies were burning?" That shit made for good reading.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I never read Secret Wars, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Beyonder's journey of trying to find his place and create purpose and meaning in this universe in Secret Wars II and felt it would be an amazing MCU plot to make a movie out of.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Fuck even the Fantastic Four were good in it. Spidey/Cap/IM have good roles, of course I was a huge Xmen fan back then so the crossover was fun, tons of great villians.

I wasn't collecting Avengers comics back then but I was collecting Spider-Man (web of and the amazing), Iron Man, Uncanny Xmen and various other offerings.