Xbox Megathread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not just $400 for 2TB, but $400 for a pathetic 3500/3200 drive. I realize the form factor and need to use 1TB chips drives up the price somewhat, but someone at MS who didn't receive a large kickback from Seagate should've shut down that design as pants-on-head retarded to begin with.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah this is kinda what people were saying when Microsoft announced the storage expansion being proprietary shit, Sony did the exact same thing with the Vita back in the days. It is actually a bit surprising they didn't do the same for the PS5 instead of letting people just install whatever the fuck they wanted, it's a sucky move but feels like it'd make more money.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's really shitty, fortunate that I'm not in a position to need the space.

Weren't people saying / speculating this is a limited window for Seagate and they expect to see competing products / adapters at some point? Would be great if we could get an m2 enclosure/adapter for this at some point.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think unless you are a Call of Duty player, space isn't much of a problem.
Na a lot of people keep a bunch of games installed, especially with limited bandwith internet and what not. Personally I wouldn't give a shit I can just redownload everything in a few minutes but I can see it being an issue when you have data caps. Although imo that's what big slow ass external HDDs are for, just dump all that shit on the side, and transfer it when you want to play. Still some people want 10games installed cause they just play random stuff everyday, which I don't get, but eh.

Vorph

Yeah it's really shitty, fortunate that I'm not in a position to need the space.

Weren't people saying / speculating this is a limited window for Seagate and they expect to see competing products / adapters at some point? Would be great if we could get an m2 enclosure/adapter for this at some point.
Speculation was that Seagate had 1 year exclusivity but announcing more of their shit for December with no mention of any other third party stuff suggests that it's at least 2 years instead.

spronk

FPS noob
well 1 year ends Nov 15th (xbox sex release date), so until that day passes we won't know if the deal lasts longer or not

its not super bad on next gen, i store everything on 8TB USB3 drives on my ps5 and sx and just move games I am playing to internal drives. having an extra 1tb of internal is nice but not "needed", no one needs to be switching between 10 games at once unless you are a streamer or something, and then you should be playing on a PC anyways. both systems update games on USB3 drives no problem, you can only run next gen games on internal drive.

hopefully we see third party drives soon. chinese hackers have figured out how to make a shell that takes nvme drives but they are charging $150 for those so kinda pointless at the moment.

spronk

FPS noob

soon there will be more xbox controller models than exclusive games

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Uninstalled that trash as soon as I found out it wouldn't let you crash.

The fuck else is the point?
terrorist jogging GIF by South Park

Vorph

its not super bad on next gen, i store everything on 8TB USB3 drives on my ps5 and sx and just move games I am playing to internal drives.
Did you move your external drive from X1 to Series X when you got it? I'm swapping my X1X for a Series S on Tuesday and all of the X1X's games are on an external SSD, so I'm wondering if I can just plug it into the Series S and not have to redownload (or network transfer from my Series X) everything.

Might have to just suck it up and buy a much larger external drive anyway. Forza Horizon 5 alone is going to eat up 100+GB of the ~364 available.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
yup, I just unplugged my 8TB drive from my one X and plugged it into my series X and it auto recognized everything. Didn't have to re-download a thing or do anything, just worked great (same on PS5). Nintendo switch DOES reformat microSD cards, thats the only modern system that sorta fucks you.

If you go into the backup option somewhere in systems menu you can backup all your settings from One X to USB3 drive, and when you start your new series S (with drive plugged in) it'll pull settings (dashboard, profile stuff, etc) from the USB drive in addition to downloading saves from the cloud. Xbox is really seamless, felt like just swapping to a new iphone or something.

imo if you can get a series X its a better choice than the S, just because of the SSD. S comes with 512gb (~400 usable), whereas series X is 1TB. double the space for "only" $200 more is basically MSRP internal SSD. on the other hand series S is buyable everywhere whereas SX is super hard to get at msrp, so I get it.

heck series S is in stock at best buy right now, delivers in like 2 days

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Think he has a series x, and the series s is replacing the second console.

It's all very easy, though, as described.

Only thing I didn't like is my series x kept auto updating games that required an internal install by copying (or so I thought) them from the external drive to internal. So I'd end up with copies of games in both places, delete the one from the console and a couple days later notice it was back on the internal storage.

Or so I thought, because it was actually downloading, not copying. Usually no more than 800gb bandwidth for a month, but first month with series x was nearly 5TB and had to remove games like haven and gears of war from my internal storage a dozen times before I figured out what was going on.

Eventually turned of auto updates, so not sure if fixed, but was pretty annoying.

Vorph

imo if you can get a series X its a better choice than the S, just because of the SSD.

Yeah, I have PS5 and Series X at home. X1X is my away from home console, but after seeing the Digital Foundry video on how well FH5 is going to play on Series S (@1080p, but that's fine since I won't use a 4K monitor with it anyway) I decided now was the time to replace the X1X. I probably would've bought a second Series X if they were available, since you're right that the moment you decide to expand the Series S' storage capacity then suddenly it becomes a terrible deal. Definitely going to try to stick with just my current 1TB external SSD since I have no other need for that atm.

And yeah, that Best Buy listing is where I got the SS from. Beats getting it from Gamestop and being forced to pay full price for a 3 month Game Pass code as part of their stupid bundle.

Good to know about the settings transfer. I probably wouldn't have thought to plug in the USB drive on the initial boot up and would've waited until after setup.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know if those Halo Infinite elite controllers will be getting restock/another opportunity to pre-order? Only site I can even find a listing for these are the Microsoft store which they’re sold out for pre-orders. If I’m shit out of luck already, did anyone happen to get their hands on more than one they’re planning to sell?

spronk

FPS noob
the only two places selling them are gamestop and microsoft (in USA), you should see a restock at both closer to release date 11/15

i preordered one from gamestop

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user