XCOM 2

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I feel the same way, but EU was a solid game with replayability (x10 with mods) that then got better with EW. Well worth $20-40 (EU/W combined). The sequel looks to offer the same value on top of expanding (albeit somewhat slightly while simultaneously removing content) the mechanics. They're also releasing a fully supported dev kit in an attempt to future proof the game. If you enjoyed the first game this is shaping up to be a justifiable purchase - especially if you wait and grab it + DLC on sale.
Sounds good.

You should make an appointment with an eye doctor.
They look exactly the same.

Mist: I never played EW, what made it better?

Sulrn

Deuces
Resource/currency/time management rebalancing, Mechs, cybernetics, enemy/mission variety, a background story that plays and interferes with the base game (honestly what EU should have been at release).

The fish village mission that was added with EW. Mein gott. Fuck playing that for the first time. Medic sacrificed himself for the squad!
frown.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Resource/currency/time management rebalancing, Mechs, cybernetics, enemy/mission variety, a background story that plays and interferes with the base game (honestly what EU should have been at release).

The fish village mission that was added with EW. Mein gott. Fuck playing that for the first time. Medic sacrificed himself for the squad!
frown.png
Yeah as cool as it was, I think that mission was actually pretty poorly designed. You're basically guaranteed to lose the guy you trigger the beacon with the first time you ever play that mission, then after that it becomes completely trivial to set your squad out to ensure that everyone extracts with no difficulty. But I guess the easily predictable scripting was the biggest problem with the difficulty in EU/EW. My biggest hope with XCom 2 is more dynamic mission gameplay.

Sulrn

Deuces
From what I've seen of the YouTube streamers - we're going to be disappointed on that front.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
In the twitch thing from weds, where Garth/whatshisface play the Blacksite mission, somewhere in there they do remark that the story type missions (of which Blacksite is one) are the least dynamic, but still fairly dynamic. Which is at least a big gain over story missions from EU/EW, which were almost completely static (or entirely so, I haven't played vanilla EU/EW since finding Long War, so I don't remember what's different... LW adds a lot of dynamic stuff in general).

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
They did the exact same thing with the last one. It was called slingshot or something. Buck up.
Yeah fair enough, I forgot they had that crap. I remember reading talk about it, and how it breaks balance, and said fuck it and ignored. But it sort of proves my point, none of that shit feels necessary. A 6th class can't NOT feel necessary in a game like XCOM. If it were the 15th class, I could give fewer shits.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, Slingshot was both good and bad. The reward for the battleship mission definitely broke the economy of the game wide open, but it was a pretty damn hard mission, especially dealing with that cyberdisk. Honestly, I don't know how the hell I'll adjust back down to 5/6 classes in XCom 2 after the 16 classes in Long War.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I guess it's back to using duplicates every mission. I enjoyed the 8man squads in LW (although I wish it were 10) because it allowed 1 of each class, which satisfies my weird OCD. 10 would be ideal so you could have 8 humans and 2 MECs each mission!

Krag

Peasant
In the twitch thing from weds, where Garth/whatshisface play the Blacksite mission, somewhere in there they do remark that the story type missions (of which Blacksite is one) are the least dynamic, but still fairly dynamic. Which is at least a big gain over story missions from EU/EW, which were almost completely static (or entirely so, I haven't played vanilla EU/EW since finding Long War, so I don't remember what's different... LW adds a lot of dynamic stuff in general).
I've seen three Blacksite playthroughs now and none of them play out the same way for the main part of the mission (there's always reinforcements coming after you grab the objective, so the last short stretch was fairly similar even though the pods dropping in don't come the same place or even consist of the same enemies). I'm very encouraged with regards to the map variety. Gameplay wise it's probably always going to be similar to a certain degree, but then again, every game is.

The strategic map being dynamic and events not happening some preset schedule will add a tremendous amount to the longevity of the game for me I think.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
As long as the reinforcements aren't specifically keyed to how close you get to the vip to the extraction zone, I don't mind if story missions are fairly predictable :p

Sulrn

Deuces
That's a Kickstarter I could see supporting. Be nice to see real competition for the major (non-fps) franchises again - give them a reason to earn your money outside of "We're the only AAA doing this".

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Firaxis must have dropped some of the data embargo. A lot of content dropped today. Here are a couple new videos. They must know they have a great game a month out.

Biscuit with an hour video.

Sulrn

Deuces
Watching the TB video - my god this is a real sequel. They stepped up their game in every regard outside of the core gameplay (which only seems tweaked) and actually learned something from the modders. Individual classes are actually distinctly different based off your ability choices and itemization.

When I was complaining about FO4 this is what I was looking for in terms of claiming sequel status.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I chuckled when I read that PC Gamer article, #2 mentions customization. From what I've seen, there are 6 faces for your troops. Six. Everything else is above and beyond (and worth accolades), but SIX? Why in the world couldn't they just put in a face-creator/editor/whateverthefuck that most games use nowadays? My GF spends hours just fucking around with her new Sim's face for Sims 4 anytime she makes one.

Anyhoo, ultimately small issue, but seriously, wtf. Just one of those things that makes me scratch my head.