Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Best RNG blade is Zenobia, the others are ok but she is on the Mythra class of good.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What blades are you currently using?

I feel like most of the side quest blades are better than the RNG rares anyway.

I am mostly using Pyra on Rex (Well not now, so it's Wulfric) but I do have Roc ready to go as well to switch too. And then I'm using Nia/Dromarch for healing usually almost constantly, and I send up switching a lot between Tora and Moraq. I do not see myself using
Zeke
a lot these days. But mostly it's Pyra/Wulfric/Roc. But like I said, i have a TON of rare crystals I should reasonate with. I have been running merc missions with a lot of the common guys.

And even though I am in chapter 7, I do not think I have ever gotten off a successful Break/Topple/Launch/Smash combo... because I am not switching blades much in fights.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Not to get to spoilery or anything but I'd hold off on using crystals on Rex if you are already at chapter 7.

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
early on I think Roc is one of the only "smash" Blades. Some of the tank blades can Launch, and the break / topple is normally handled by your standard crew. Make sure you keep tabs on your "4th" weapon ability, I didn't put in Rolling Smash on Rex until the very end and it seemed to really help with Agro. Some of those 4th abilities that you can swap in can help with the "driver combo" chain a bit more too.

Ditto on what Zerkon said, Zenobia is crazy good for Tyrant Killing and Raw Damage. I found that Nim was also extremely good on a healer because she basically splash heals about 50% of the damage she does once you get her maxed up. It gets kinda mashed up because you basically want to run with 6-8 elements, the proper class roles / combo's of blade type, weapons that are skilled up that you like and then if you can squeeze it in....abilities that can get you a driver combo. I think I only ever got about 70 full driver combo's (one of the blades has an unlock for doing 250 full driver combo's). I never spent the overdrives to really try and line it all up, so the full driver combo (break > topple > launch > smash) was never something I did much of. If it lines up that the characters and blades you use can pull it off regularly then great, but I don't think its a deal breaker to not be able to regularly perform them.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Sups dudes. Do I need to play the first game to enjoy this?

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I'm almost to the end of chapter 3 and loving it, everyone who beat it loved it, and Ut who hates Nintendo loved it, it's really good.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok SO. I had no idea you would combine mastery’s of equipped blades. Hah. I was able to get 3 fire and 2 wind pretty easily :)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So do you get anymore of those swap things that let you switch blades to other characters? Have a Perceval that I rolled on Rex that I really want to put on Morag, but I’m dumb and figured early on you’d get more switches, but haven’t seen any more beyond the first two

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think there is 3 that you can find and the other 5 come from maxing out each persons talent tree / personal chart. It takes significant time to do this and usually all happens at roughly the same general time for everyone.

I had heard you can get overdrives by maxing out a 4 star non-unique blade and then releasing them (where you normally would get boosters) but I didnt have one to try that out, so it may be purely bs

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm finding that if you use the driver combo break topple launch smash that the mob will drop their rate loot mid fight. Or at the very least cause them to drop rare loot after the mob dies.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Chapter seven.

malos is kicking my ass... any tips? Screw his Monando shit. Lol

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
those fights are tough, I had to make sure I was running a holy trinity of pure dps / tank / healer. If you find that Rex ends up with agro anyway, making one of his 3 blades a tank blade can help out significantly with damage taken. Stack +hp % gear as accessories. The story fights with him are pretty brutal if you are less than his level. I found it also helped to "warm up" your chain attack gauge on a few other mobs before you run into the red outlined area (if you have died once already) so that you can rez right away.

make sure you are hitting that left arrow button (focus target) to take out the one you want when there are multiples because one of them taunts.

its a really tough fight at low level or even level to them though, they do a ton of damage. Only 2 real options are burst one down or try and go real slow and steady without burning up your chain attack gauge so you can always rez

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Or maybe I should do some side quests and clear some of those up. Sitting under level right now at 50. So that may not help either as you said.

Thanks for the tip on charging party gauge. I forgot about that. Starting off higher there for Rez would help. Was also frustrating when I had him down to 10%, and Morag fell into the hole and died, and I couldn’t get to her in time to red before he wiped me and nia out with his “mooooooonnnaaannnnnnddoooooo kiss my ass and you die now!” Shit.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Finally made it passed Chapter 7 last night. Holy cats. I did it by...

Using Nia as a blade, and I controlled her, and than had Morag and Tora in my party, and just healed the ever living crap out of people. I just about died at the end of it too when Malos had a sliver left... Then I used the same strat on the Jin/Malos combo, but that was a lot easier sinc eyou only had to get Malos down half life to trigger the cut

So as I start Chapter 8 I am still pissed that Monolithsoft does such a horrible fucking job at explaining how combat works. I am completely confused still when it comes to 1) Seals. I know it stops bosses from using abilities, but how the heck am I triggering them? I got lucky a few times. 2) I am starting to realize I need to switch out my blades more while IN combat to get these certain effect combos, yet I have no idea how any of this works. If I see, say for instance, heat, and I trigger it and a whole bunch of shit pops up on the upper right showing the bosses abilities and a bunch of symbols, what the heck does that even mean? 3) What are orbs? The last fight someone mentioned making sure orbs are attached before blowing my party gauge.

I cannot believe I am 50 hours in and starting Chapter 8 of 10 and still have no clue what any of this means, and I only know a lot of the terms because I was scouring the internet trying to figure out the best strat for the Chapter 7 fight.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
The stuff in the upper right is the blade combo tree. Referencing this image:

bladetree246yxj.png

Lets say I start a Dark combo with Rex with a level 1 Special(specials being the attack you use with the A key). To continue up the tree, I have to use another Dark or Light element special of level 2 or more. You can see what level your team mates are at by the swirling orbs around their portrait(in this case nia is at level 3). So Lets say Nia triggers the next part of the tree with her Dark element attack. To get to level 3 of the tree, you can now choose between an Earth or Dark element special. So lets say Rex uses a level 3 earth special; he now finishes that particular blade combo, the seal effect happens, and now you can begin an entirely new blade combo.

The orbs are what the enemy gains after you use a blade combo; when he gains an orb he is now strong against that element. So if I finished the above combo with that Earth special, the enemy would gain an earth orb. You use Chain attack(full 3 bar party gauge and the + key to activate) to burst the orb. If you burst the orb during the chain attack, you can continue the chain attack with a QTE thing and everyone will get another round of attacks. Element tree goes like this:

Fire and Water cancel eachother
Dark and Light cancel eachother
Ice and Wind cancel eachother
Earth and Electric cancel eachother.

Last edited: