XFL

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The XFL will need to embrace what it is. Tier 2 football. Expect TV deals to reflect that number, pay players and coaches accordingly, and price your tickets for families that can't afford NFL ticket prices. You don't compete with the NFL because you aren't going to play on Sunday/Monday/Thursday from August - January. You market your players as "the guys you are going to see in the NFL next year." Don't use the 3-years-out-of-highschool rule that the NFL does, so you can draft kids earlier out of college, and build yourself as the true grooming ground for NFL talent since your game will more closely resemble the NFL than college football currently does.

While I kind of agree with you, what you are describing is basically the NFL 'minor leagues'. Can something like that co-exist with the NFL, similar to how minor league baseball and even the NBA development league works? Possibly but then again I'm not sure that's what Vince is trying to achieve. He's going to have a hell of a time getting top tier players out of college who just won't get snatched up by the NFL.

Siliconemelons

TV contracts are what makes every professional league. Good luck trying to be successful playing in low tier stadiums with nobody paying attention. We can rag on the NFL all we want, they still are a billion(s) dollar industry with expensive stadiums/high end practice facilities and equipment and billion dollar tv contracts. The fact of matter is at least 80+ million people are going to watch their premiere event next weekend. Good luck competing with that.

Also Vince has said there are no cheerleaders either so your out of luck there.

There will be no cheerleaders, McMahon said. Players with criminal records will not be welcome. Political statements, such as kneeling during the national anthem, will be prohibited.

Bah cheerleaders!

I didn't say to screw off TV.. I said that their $ foundation needs to be supported just by their live attendance... because trying to push into TV and rely upon the $ u get from pushing into a market is a setup for failure.

WWF and shit is sold out at massive venus all the time - thats what vince knows and thats what he should keep doing - will TV come, yes, but I do not see it being and instant on TV market. So either, throw $ and $$ and $$$ at it until it sicks a la M$ and the xboner or be conservative in how you setup the funding.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
While I kind of agree with you, what you are describing is basically the NFL 'minor leagues'. Can something like that co-exist with the NFL, similar to how minor league baseball and even the NBA development league works? Possibly but then again I'm not sure that's what Vince is trying to achieve. He's going to have a hell of a time getting top tier players out of college who just won't get snatched up by the NFL.

It may not be what he's striving for, but it's where he has to start if he wants to be successful at all. The NFL is the 1,000lbs gorilla. They have more money, more fans, better talent, more resources. You can't take them on head-on. You have to fill the gaps that the NFL can't fill:

Players too talented for college, not old enough for the NFL
Winter/Spring Football games
The Tim Tebow's/Johnny Football's of the world. Those guys would still play if there was a place for them that wasn't half-way around the world (sorry Canada, you don't count... again)
Cities that don't have an NFL team.
etc.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think its likely Vince is using the XFL to force the NFL to allow him to become an owner of the Panthers.

If he is not though then there are things he could do to be sucessful. They think up to 10 states could have legalized sports betting by 2020. Set up the teams in those states and embrace it .

Might be a good idea to compete with Thursday night football as its not very popular.

He also said he wants to shoot for 2 hour games which would be great.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Hopefully they bring a team to Miami. We desperately need one.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Stop stealing jokes from comments on Deadspin
giphy.gif

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I thought there was already a league for people who couldn't cut it in the NFL - the CFL.

While there's certainly an opening for more football - from Spring to late Summer - I can't see this getting any more traction than the Arena Leagues of the world already do.

I admit I was too young to care about the business aspect last time around - but is anyone going to want to join this league when they blow out an ACL, get immediately fired, and probably pay for their own medical (my understanding of how the WWE works), for 40 or 50K a year?

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Will be great when the XFLers get medical coverage and the WWE Independent Contractors don't.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
There are close to 12,000 college players every year. There are no more than maybe 3,000 NFL players total. There is a huge market for Vince to find lower level talent. He obviously doesn't want to compete directly with the NFL but he has a market and a player base. He just has to make it fun to watch. He also has to know what a catch is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
They should have a half-time show, but do a wrestling match. You could have the heel card come out to the ring and tear up the home team's jersey. People would go nuts lol.

It would work well if they did the warmer months, half the country's teams are in winter-cold locations, so you'd get a good shot at fans.

Metlife Stadium is 15 minutes north of that and already houses the Giants and Jets. I'm not sure the Prudential Center is big enough for a football game but I wouldn't be surprised if they try lol. Parking for a Newark game would be utterly asstacular and might deter fans though.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There are close to 12,000 college players every year. There are no more than maybe 3,000 NFL players total. There is a huge market for Vince to find lower level talent. He obviously doesn't want to compete directly with the NFL but he has a market and a player base. He just has to make it fun to watch. He also has to know what a catch is.

More like 2k NFL no? 32 teams with 53 man rosters, plus 10 man practice squads.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
More like 2k NFL no? 32 teams with 53 man rosters, plus 10 man practice squads.

Yeah, I was being generous and lazy with my math. I added all the 90 man squads before the cuts and a few add ons just for good measure.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I was being generous and lazy with my math. I added all the 90 man squads before the cuts and a few add ons just for good measure.

Ahhh gotcha. Your original point still very true. Plenty of guys out there to make some decent teams.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
The League's success doesn't depend on the quality of athletes - plenty of college football teams are fun without being loaded with NFL talent.

Just 8 teams concentrates the talent plenty. They won't have 8 Tom Bradys but there are plenty of QBs, skill players, kickers, and punters out there.

Theatrics and non-traditional networks have to strike the balance between fun and too over-the-top. Chip Kelly would be a great mind to tap into for this.