You know you're getting old when.....

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I learned to drive, took my test on , and drove for 2 years one of these ugly fuckers. A 1984 Toyota Corona Station wagon in the same doo-doo brown color as this picture. Me and my friends obliterated this car. I know this pic isn't of my car because it doesn't have the multiple holes in the hood where we would get bored and stab the damn thing. 4 banger with a 4 speed manual, no AC in the US South. Good times.

That is a seriously ugly car.

You guys remember these? Such pieces of shit:

horizonus_01.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
but I only remember learning to drive a stick i
Oh if we're talking where we learned stick, that would be when I valet parked at a kicker bar. Diesel duallies with standard transmissions were the worst. I'd usually wait till the owner closed the door to the club so they wouldn't see what I did to their clutch.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
here's a fun game to make us feel old. what cars did everyone use to learn how to drive and get their driver's license on?
i learned how to drive on a 1973 AMC Hornet
1973-amc-hornet-2.JPG

my best friend's first car. dude drives a Mercedes now, but he still misses his old beater. it never looked this nice, even when wet.
i got my license on a 1990 Nissan Sentra supplied by the driving school
iu
Learned to drive in a 1979 Monte Carlo, with a 305 under the hood..
This pic is even the same color scheme as my car was.. Which I affectionately referred to as "You shouldn't have fed that to a baby green"

1665286941778.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Learned to drive in a 1979 Monte Carlo, with a 305 under the hood..
This pic is even the same color scheme as my car was.. Which I affectionately referred to as "You shouldn't have fed that to a baby green"

View attachment 437039
my uncle had a Nova that motherfucking ugly color. he drove it forever.
iu

it had a v6. one day i hear my uncle screaming in the yard and for whatever reason his nova was rolling down the hill and he was trying to stop it with his body and losing. lol i had to help him from dying.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Learned on my dad's 76 Impala (auto), and my mom's 88 Subaru GL (manual)

1972-chevrolet-impala-custom-id-4325-motortopia_5d795.jpg

7803a788-ecc9-47bc-9f51-281ac333b7de.large.jpg

When I took my test, my dad had a 92 explorer, so I used that.

1991_ford_explorer_4dr-suv_eddie-bauer_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It's actually hard to find on everyday cars. There are a few companies that still make them available in the US - Hyundai, Volkswagen, Subaru - but other than that it is really hard to find. They don't make the new Ford Ranger in a manual transmission at all. I really, really miss my manual transmission. Stupid car companies.

fuckingthingsucks-bill-o-reilly.gif
My automatic has paddle shifters. I should probably look up wtf that is about.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That Subaru is just terrible. They have come lightyears since.

Yup. The timing belt on her model had a known defect that would cause it to break randomly, but Subaru refused replace it until it broke. Thankfully hers broke just before she pulling in to the driveway.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Euro rules means you have to use a driving school and use their car (with dual brake controls) for the exam so I did the test on a Golf 3. If you take the driving test on an automatic you get a big fat "valid for automatic transmission cars only" stamp on your license which means you are screwed if you ever have to rent a van/car, so just about everyone learns to drive stick here.

Looking at one now I think they haven't badly aged visually considering these came out 31 years ago.

1665407850923.png

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Well, when it starts out as a complete piece of shit, there's not much that 30 years can do to make it worse. These other cars were mostly badass back when they were new.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
here's a fun game to make us feel old. what cars did everyone use to learn how to drive and get their driver's license on?
i learned how to drive on a 1973 AMC Hornet
1973-amc-hornet-2.JPG

my best friend's first car. dude drives a Mercedes now, but he still misses his old beater. it never looked this nice, even when wet.
i got my license on a 1990 Nissan Sentra supplied by the driving school

Little late to the party but my first vehicle and the one I took my drivers test in was a GMC Vandura 2500. It sucked mechanically but I loved that old piece of shit. Could fit a ton of people in there and banged some chicks back in highschool quite a few times in it. Also was nice for hauling drum/PA equipment around with my band.

Getting 10 miles per gallon sucked when you're a poor teenager though.

1665589290765.png
1665589312147.png
1665589333709.png

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Little late to the party but my first vehicle and the one I took my drivers test in was a GMC Vandura 2500. It sucked mechanically but I loved that old piece of shit. Could fit a ton of people in there and banged some chicks back in highschool quite a few times in it. Also was nice for hauling drum/PA equipment around with my band.

View attachment 437587View attachment 437588View attachment 437589
yeah, but gas was only like 80 or 90 cents back in the late 80s/early 90s. one of my friend's first cars was an 85 Civic. he hated that piece of shit, except for one thing. it had a secret compartment of sorts. you could access the trunk from the back seat and close it back up. so us kids would cruise around town drinking beers and just putting them back in the carton in the trunk. if we got stopped, the cops wouldnt see open containers.
iu

a big car was also good for picking up trashy chicks. amazes me that the girls i fucked in the back of my old land barges act so stuck up now on facebook. sometimes i feel like posting on their facebook page, "arent you the same chick that let me splooge all over your face and you licked it off when we were 17?" the good old days.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah, but gas was only like 80 or 90 cents back in the late 80s/early 90s. one of my friend's first cars was an 85 Civic. he hated that piece of shit, except for one thing. it had a secret compartment of sorts. you could access the trunk from the back seat and close it back up. so us kids would cruise around town drinking beers and just putting them back in the carton in the trunk. if we got stopped, the cops wouldnt see open containers.
iu

a big car was also good for picking up trashy chicks. amazes me that the girls i fucked in the back of my old land barges act so stuck up now on facebook. sometimes i feel like posting on their facebook page, "arent you the same chick that let me splooge all over your face and you licked it off when we were 17?" the good old days.
jesus christ 80s cars were ugly

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
jesus christ 80s cars were ugly
my dad had a cool looking 80s car. the 85 Mercury Cougar.
iu

it looked cool, but in one year it completely self destructed and they refused to warranty the repairs on the brand fucking new car. on the way to the Honda dealership for my dad to trade this bomb in, the car rode and sounding like a 30 year old shitbox. he got an 86 Accord which lasted him 6 years and probably could still be on the road today.
iu

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>

View attachment 437587View attachment 437588View attachment 437589

My dad had one of those for a while. It had a record player in the console. Ridiculous.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
'73 Chrysler 4 door land yacht. Wasn't bad, mostly rural dirt roads. Could get a learners permit then at 14. Kinda surprised I was tall enough to reach the pedals at age 13 it was huge. I remember laying on the back shelf.

Drivers ed had a Buick Lesabre that had dual controls. I don't remember what year it was. Summer at a small private school just 3 of us and the driver (the principle) around town for hours with no real instruction. My sister is 8 years older than me and she went to a public school and they had simulators in drivers ed to start, late 70's.