You know you're getting old when.....

Haus

<Silver Donator>
hit-me-with-modem-620x192.gif
It's why I have shifted. These kids are getting inundated with all the training they need on the technologies. I'm teaching them the "Here's how being a customer facing Systems Engineer will work.." and honestly more talking to them about the psychology of working with and sometimes around customers in order to get your job done. Then sprinkle in "You're going to want to keep an eye out for when your employer tries this, that, or the other..." They all honestly seem to appreciate that more. Then when it's time for injecting humor I slip into "Old Man Haus" mode and story tell....

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Had a very strong "I'm getting old" moment recently. I have an old cell phone, one that has an audiojack to connect headphones. Well, the jack has been bust for a while, so long story short I just bought a pair of bluetooth headphones - even tough I have looked at them as being goofy. Well, I spent the last evening trying to get the fucking things to work, even installing an app and shit. Nope, nothing. I thought they were either defective or that my phone was too old. This morning, before taking it back to the shop, I decided to have one last try, was mucking about in the Bluetooth settings when I noticed the HUGE "refresh" button. I tapped it and hey presto, there they were!

Now I feel like all those old people I have helped with computers who can't seem to see the buttons placed prominently on their computers, such as the "close window" button and such.

Well, next stop is the old folks home for me, I guess!

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 9 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Had a very strong "I'm getting old" moment recently. I have an old cell phone, one that has an audiojack to connect headphones. Well, the jack has been bust for a while, so long story short I just bought a pair of bluetooth headphones - even tough I have looked at them as being goofy. Well, I spent the last evening trying to get the fucking things to work, even installing an app and shit. Nope, nothing. I thought they were either defective or that my phone was too old. This morning, before taking it back to the shop, I decided to have one last try, was mucking about in the Bluetooth settings when I noticed the HUGE "refresh" button. I tapped it and hey presto, there they were!

Now I feel like all those old people I have helped with computers who can't seem to see the buttons placed prominently on their computers, such as the "close window" button and such.

Naw, that's not old. Bluetooth can give people issues. Yesterday I was at Xfinity getting signed up for some crap and I overheard a lady ask if the new phone she was buying would connect to her wifi. She had a modern phone already, I am still curious if she had that one connected.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Naw, that's not old. Bluetooth can give people issues. Yesterday I was at Xfinity getting signed up for some crap and I overheard a lady ask if the new phone she was buying would connect to her wifi. She had a modern phone already, I am still curious if she had that one connected.
Yes this shit pisses me off though, because it is never about anything genuinely new or confusing, unlike some of those dumb ass VCRs from the early 90s. I get into this argument at work because there are still people who just can't operate any basic technology yet are employed in a position requiring it. "Oh so and so just isn't good at computers they can't login easily and locked themselves out so we can't get to that right now."

Bitch personal computers are FORTY years old and it's literally your job to receive emails and approve these POs and get them to AP.

NO ONE alive today was even born before qwerty typewriters were ubiquitous in offices. You assholes have had over a century to learn basic skills. Write them up? No that's ageism! Lmao

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
It's the flat out refusal to even look, listen, or watch any kind of explanation, and self sabotage by repeatedly clicking on the wrong things. Case in point, my boss still uses a flip phone and all he does is call other people to do shit he could have done himself in 1/4 of the time. "Read me this email" "text so and so" "how do i get to xxx location" dude isn't even 50 yet. Yet he has no problem navigating the touchscreens of the brand new $120k truck he just bought. No i don't want to see your shitty 200x200 grainy ass picture you took and I'm done explaining why you cant read the document you took that pic of.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes this shit pisses me off though, because it is never about anything genuinely new or confusing, unlike some of those dumb ass VCRs from the early 90s. I get into this argument at work because there are still people who just can't operate any basic technology yet are employed in a position requiring it. "Oh so and so just isn't good at computers they can't login easily and locked themselves out so we can't get to that right now."

Bitch personal computers are FORTY years old and it's literally your job to receive emails and approve these POs and get them to AP.

NO ONE alive today was even born before qwerty typewriters were ubiquitous in offices. You assholes have had over a century to learn basic skills. Write them up? No that's ageism! Lmao

Those are the people that take pictures of the PO's on their monitors, email them from their personal account on their phone of the super grainy and blurry picture that you have to make out the number on.....fuck this isnt the rustled thread...

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Those are the people that take pictures of the PO's on their monitors, email them from their personal account on their phone of the super grainy and blurry picture that you have to make out the number on.....fuck this isnt the rustled thread...
This and the Rustled thread are so close on many days they are essentially quantum entangled with one another.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lot of zoomers are pretty inept outside of their comfort zone too, had to explain to one that once upon a time, computers loaded an entire program into memory and then didn't need to access the floppy anymore until the next reboot. I assumed they were just used to systems with swapmem but no, they just didn't really understand the difference between memory and storage.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lot of zoomers are pretty inept outside of their comfort zone too, had to explain to one that once upon a time, computers loaded an entire program into memory and then didn't need to access the floppy anymore until the next reboot. I assumed they were just used to systems with swapmem but no, they just didn't really understand the difference between memory and storage.
ram-drive-hero-2.jpg

calculating-puzzled.gif

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Played hockey last night. Had my head down and got absolutely pinned into the boards as I was coming across the blue line. It was a clean check, and it's part of the game, so no shade on the dude who hit me. In my youth I'd absorb checks like that every day of the week. I ache everywhere today. I want to inject ibuprofen into all my body parts. I mean, it's not like I'm going to die, but I notice it so much more now than I used to.

I did deliver a good check to the guy who checked me later in the game. With considerable effort. While being sore. And feeling inadequate because I'm 50. I think he was about 25. I had to look strong, right?

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played hockey last night. Had my head down and got absolutely pinned into the boards as I was coming across the blue line. It was a clean check, and it's part of the game, so no shade on the dude who hit me. In my youth I'd absorb checks like that every day of the week. I ache everywhere today. I want to inject ibuprofen into all my body parts. I mean, it's not like I'm going to die, but I notice it so much more now than I used to.

I did deliver a good check to the guy who checked me later in the game. With considerable effort. While being sore. And feeling inadequate because I'm 50. I think he was about 25. I had to look strong, right?
1692712911447.png

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Enjoy brain cancer. Injecting the blue tooths straight into your ear canal is a bad idea.

When I got my last phone, I had to search for older models that still had audio jacks. All of my headphones from now on will be USB I guess since the audio jacks are phased out.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I find the morning dump to be a good predictor of how my day's going to go. On the jobsite I'm on now, we sometimes do morning check ins. Mental/physical. Most people report in at like 90-95%. Someone asked me why I'm reporting 75-80% and I told them "It's too damned early to tell. I haven't even tried to take my morning dump yet". Next time I might say "cautiously optimistic"

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I find the morning dump to be a good predictor of how my day's going to go. On the jobsite I'm on now, we sometimes do morning check ins. Mental/physical. Most people report in at like 90-95%. Someone asked me why I'm reporting 75-80% and I told them "It's too damned early to tell. I haven't even tried to take my morning dump yet". Next time I might say "cautiously optimistic"
Morning mental/physical check-ins?

chris rock wtf GIF

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yup. It's part of the safety program.
Maybe we just had a different name for it.

Hoss: How you doin this morning?
Me: Shitty. Fucking Jets suck balls. God I fucking hate Brady.
Hoss: So just another Monday. Ok, lets get to work.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Maybe we just had a different name for it.

Hoss: How you doin this morning?
Me: Shitty. Fucking Jets suck balls. God I fucking hate Brady.
Hoss: So just another Monday. Ok, lets get to work.

We go around the room and like 30-40 people give their name and 2 numbers (mental and physical). Then we get on with the morning meeting. I find it utterly ridiculous. But the fact that some people sometimes call for the check in means they must get something out of it. The only use I can see is for the bossman to get a general idea where the group is when we've been working long days in bullshit heat.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Hang in there. You are 50, next time you'll stomp his gimp ass.

#oldmanstrength

If you need someone to cheer you on irl let me know. Might even have Belgian beer if you guys win.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users