Your Ideal EQ Server

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Client - Underfoot
Style - Semi classic (+ mercs)
XP Rate - 100%
Spawn Timers - Faster with some variance. Maximum 3 day spawns.
Difficulty - Would like to see all content retuned for 1-3 groups.
Boxing - No
Expansions - Up to Omens of War
Progression or Full Release - Custom progression (Fight's post seems perfect)
Red or Blue - Blue
Transportation - Classic until your character unlocks PoK
Soul Binders - Yes

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Does the tech exist to make the old raid zones instances? My ideal EQ server would allow instanced raids for raids that aren't top tier. So like if velious opened then ntov, sleepers and aoe are contested and the other stuff is spawned on demand with a lockout. Up to luclin since after luclin the classic era really ends. In POP everything gets inflated so much, the stat cap goes away and for the first time a new expansion truly trivializes all previous gear to the point where it is trash instead of maybe slightly worse. Ex robe of azure sky to vulak robe to aten robe is small reasonable upgrade but aten robe to timeworn is 2x stats plus effect.

Mercs balanced correctly are better than allowing boxes, boxes makes people anti social, mercs are just a shitty version of a real player if done right so grouping is still preferable.

Titanium is a fine client, it's not classic but it's good to go so that counts for a whole lot.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mercs balanced correctly are better than allowing boxes, boxes makes people anti social, mercs are just a shitty version of a real player if done right so grouping is still preferable.
This is true. I use mercs, but I am always on the lookout to replace them with a real player. Not to mention there are significant exp bonuses for doing so.

Boxes have turned into a necessary evil of a game that requires so many different roles. It is not fun though and can be headache inducing. Being able to devote 100% attention to one character in a group full of other players is still and will always be the "best" EQ experience.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
This is true. I use mercs, but I am always on the lookout to replace them with a real player. Not to mention there are significant exp bonuses for doing so.

Boxes have turned into a necessary evil of a game that requires so many different roles. It is not fun though and can be headache inducing. Being able to devote 100% attention to one character in a group full of other players is still and will always be the "best" EQ experience.
Does the tech exist to make the old raid zones instances?
Short answer, yes, you can configure instances like you are describing.

I feel like EQEmu Bots could replace Mercs in a classic environment in a way if you add some sort of penalty (IE; can only use them while solo & have all the associated costs of mercs.) for using them and making them harder to obtain - harder, as in, harder than using a #command to summon them.

What are EQEmu bots?
EQEmu bots are just player characters that you can gear up with your extra gear. So if you want to have a bot tank with your cleric player, you can give him the extra warrior loot you get and he'll equip that loot and start playing with it. They can also buff specific people on demand, port people, maintain CH rotations with other bots, and manage their own set list of buffs. In other words, they are just an extra player and can be configured in any style imaginable. You can group with however many the server operator decides to allow. You can even have a raid full of the little guys.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
oh yeah^^, i would like to add permadeath to my Firiona Vie + Rallos Zek rules server idea. =p

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Permadeath would be a bit nuts.... fun and challenging but nuts.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
All permadeath does is force everyone to play ultra safe. Gameplay sans risk taking as everyone grinds on nearly trivial encounters.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
"sans risk taking" in the traditional sense

it turns even leaving your home town into a risk, though

would be a fun social experiment, but i can't imagine it would have a long term population

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I loved tz way back when, but emu servers seem to do nothing for me vs prog servers I really enjoyed. I think the problem is that you pretty much have to be a hardcore player and pvper if you're doing eq emu pvp so you end up with none of the lukewarm pvpers. What made the original pvp fun for me was that many people were just there to add challenge, or play with friends who liked pvp, or do it sometimes but not others, etc, and that's impossible to reproduce on an emu server I'm afraid. It was totally normal to run into casual players that heavily pvped, or hardcore pvers on a pvp server, etc. Not on emu.

With that in mind, I would love a pve server that has pvp days. Preferably coinciding with massive big mob spawns. Or, on the flipside, a pvp server with pve offdays. Also non-shitty gms.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Name: Fate's Demise
RULESET: Custom. Race PVP outside of dungeons/raid zones. In dungeons/raidzones, full red (lvl 1's can be attacked by lvl 50's). Furthermore, in dungeons, dying to another player or pain and suffering results in a non remomoveable 1 hour rez sickness within the zone of your respective death. FV with respect to items, no restriction on zoning into Fear/Hate.

LOOT: Rubi/Guise/Manastone stay in. Rubi after a certain point is replaced by Iksar Ceremonial, Guise and Mask are both on the table at a certain point. Manastone has two variants. One where the mana c works in old world, and one where mana c works in Kunark as well. 50:1 ratio between old world manastones and everywhere manastones. Bladestorm drops off a draco and procs lvl 49 mage AE rain spell.

UNIQUE: Qeynos/FP message board has the option for bounty. Like Soandso could place a bounty on Tyen's head. The next time he is killed, his killer is rewarded x plat from Soandso's bank account (this is exploitable form of money transfer). Also, for a rubi bp and GEBs, Soandso can place a bounty on Tyens head where he is deleveld from 50-35, the next time he is killed.

I also want a ruleset server where backstab/flying kick effectively reduce a mob's hp by 75%, bash lasts for 10 seconds, causes normal hits to be criticals if bashed, and criticals to crippling blow. Warriors ATTACK/ATTACK SPEED increases exponentially the closer they are to death. And all spells are .5 second casts; you get 8-10 spells before you go OOM. 2x cast for spells of your own class, 1x cast for spells from the same group as you. 2-3x spell slots for a spell from another group's list (groups are INT, WIS, HYBRID). If a mob is feared, rogues auto double backstab or critical backstab. INTIMIDATE is a more effective fear.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What? Really, that is your dream scenario server? I hate to break it to you, but it would be in large part unplayable.

Herv_sl

shitlord
Project M, but you can spawnanywhere, like BoT as a Kriger. You can select your zone.

This should totally be on a major EMU server. Who wouldn't want some of that?? Even if only for some nights so to avoid any raid training. Gang warfare between the 4 sections of BoT. Sign me the fuck up.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
That'd be fun, you'd end up with 20 giants camping bot entrance which would be hilarious.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
in Project M, could your monster gain levels?

would be super awesome if your monster could gain levels AND zone. i always wanted to play a gnoll.