Your Political Party

iannis

Musty Nester
And if they ran democrats they'd generally be hypocrites when it came to fiscal issues. You can't promote a libertarian agenda and promote increases in social spending at the same time -- that cuts right to the heart of what you're trying to accomplish in a way that social issue hypocrisy doesn't. I don't envy a libertarian candidate his choice, tbh.

Of course lately Republicans are hypocrites themselves when it comes to fiscal issues -- so it may be time for libertarians to make that switch. I think they really tried to find a home in the Tea Party at first, but that ship got commandeered out from under them.

But the choice so far has been between who disagrees with you less.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The Democrats have been the more fiscally conservative party for multiple decades at this point.

iannis

Musty Nester
Not really. I know what you mean. That's more recent. The methods of the parties differ, and I think it's perfectly fair to say that unconditional military spending is both as unconservative as it is unsustainable. Neither party is fiscally conservative. I think we have fundamentally different understandings of what the word conservative means if you look at the ACA and think to yourself, "That's some fine fiscally conservative legislation". I can see how someone might actually say and mean exactly that. It's a matter of comparisons -- but it's mixing inflections.

The Democratic Party has, almost inarguably, been moreresponsiblewith the administration of public funds and programs. It's not a semantic argument in the context of talking about which major party the minor libertarian party should think to be affiliated with going forward. The attempted coup on the Republican party has obviously failed. They wouldn't even let Paul into the convention.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm on the side of the Empire, because fuck rebel scum.
Plus: free uniforms, standard issue laser guns, your own personal quarters on the death star, and if it gets really cold you won't have to cut open a banta to sleep inside. All you ever have to do is not look at, or speak to, Lord Vader. You have one job.

Papashlapa

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Democrats have been the more fiscally conservative party for multiple decades at this point.
That's like saying a heroin addict is "healthier" than a meth addict. The entire problem is that neither party has been anywhere even close to fiscally responsible for decades. The last truly fiscally responsible President was Eisenhower, though Clinton was actually pretty good too. The entire debate over fiscal issues today is just two sides of the same keynesian coin. One side wants to increase government deficits through more spending to "stimulate" the economy, the other side wants to increase government deficits through tax cuts to do the same thing, but both are just keynesian demand side management, causing false booms and inevitable busts, while racking up massive deficits along the way.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
You can't really blame them for running as Republicans. The deck is stacked against any 3rd party candidates. You can't get into debates etc. as a third party candidate.

You don't register as a party member in all states.

Personally, I don't believe in identifying as a party member. It just gives you an excuse to stop thinking. Currently I just vote for whomever is on the ballot without an R or a D by their name. If I thought they had a chance of winning I would start putting more thought into which one I would choose. I would have voted for Jill Stein in 2012 if she had been on the ballot in Montana but she wasn't so I voted for Gary Johnson.
I spent the summer in Montana and fell in love with everything about it. You guys have a couple awesome senators, especially Tester. Hows things moving on replacing Baucus? Is that crazy tea party rep. still the frontrunner after the shutdown, errr slimdown?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not really sure. To be honest it's weird to think about him not being a senator. Dude has been there my entire life. I met him in like 1992 when I went on a 4-H trip to Washington DC. I would be suprised if MT elected a tea partier. The state has been going democrat in everything except for the presidential races recently.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya, my impression was that even the conservatives up there are still rational and sane. It's so different than what you see down here in the South. Must be all the fresh air and mountains.

I do know that the governor chose not to expand Medicaid and there will be a lot of people in MT stuck in that gap that can't get Medicaid and can't qualify for a subsidy either. It's not the richest state in the union.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We have our share of rednecks here too hehe. The tea partiers made the state legislative session before last into quite the dog and pony show but of course the governor vetoed everything that they did. This year was much more reasonable. Really a Democrat just has to be pro-agriculture and pro-gun to make it here and of course there are plenty of hippies and liberals in the West end of the state.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
The last poll we had like this was silly because people didn't put who theyactuallyvoted for. People were hedging in the poll thread about which party they "identified" with but posting to the far left or far right in most other threads.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
binary choice destroys alot of the nuance, i'd like to see 5 parties to pick from on a ticket I think that's the Goldilocks number, I think a third party would more often than not just drain one party over the other and wouldn't be balancing but disruptive honestly.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
That's like saying a heroin addict is "healthier" than a meth addict. The entire problem is that neither party has been anywhere even close to fiscally responsible for decades. The last truly fiscally responsible President was Eisenhower, though Clinton was actually pretty good too. The entire debate over fiscal issues today is just two sides of the same keynesian coin. One side wants to increase government deficits through more spending to "stimulate" the economy, the other side wants to increase government deficits through tax cuts to do the same thing, but both are just keynesian demand side management, causing false booms and inevitable busts, while racking up massive deficits along the way.
isn't heroine more delicious? plz help me. i never did drugs.