Your Top Ten Favorite TV Shows of All Time

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
List them off, and explain please.

1. Game of Thrones (I was cautious about this show, but last season nailed it)
2. Breaking Bad (of course)
3. The Wire (duh)
4. The Sopranos
5. Rome
6. Seinfeld (the show I've watched more reruns of than any other show, I watched it as my newborn was presented to me)
7. Mad Men
8. Spartacus (don't tase me bro, it was a fun ride)
9. BoardWalk Empire
10. BattleStar Galactica (even if the later seasons sucked)

Honorable mentions go to True Detective (having only one season so far hurts it, and I really liked the first few years of Dexter). Also, I'm a sucker for anything Star Trek. And the JLA/JLU cartoon has a special place in my heart. The Shield would have been #11.

edit: I don't know how I forgot Sopranos, but put that at #4 and bump every other show below it down one spot.

Skynet_sl

shitlord
1.)Quantum Leap- Science-fiction done right with a great focus on the two leading characters.

2.)Babylon 5- JMS wrote around 90% of the scripts while maintaining a coherent arc across five seasons. The first season is kind of cheesy as far as production value, but the stories pay off down the road. The second, third, and fourth season are incredible and well-worth the time.

3.)The West Wing- I'm not a huge fan of Aaron Sorkin's more recent works, but the West Wing is a masterpiece and contains some of the best hour-long TV episodes I've ever seen - 'Two Cathedrals' and '20 Hours in America,' for instance, is the ones that immediately come to mind.

4.)Hannibal- Excellent writing and great production value. I was skeptical when I first heard they were making a TV-series based on Thomas Harris' series, but after the first few episodes, I was hooked. Even if you've read the books, the story deviates enough from the established plot to keep you on your toes.

5.)House of Cards- Kevin Spacey's best work. His character, Frank Underwood, would fit right in with the political landscape of Game of Thrones.

6.)Luther- A BBC crime drama with Idris Elba in the title role. Ruth Wilson's protagonist is also well-imagined and reminiscent of a female Hannibal minus the cannibalism.

7.)Doctor Who- Quality varies dramatically based on the writing and direction of each episode, but gems such as 'Listen,' 'Blink,' 'The God Complex,' 'Midnight,' etc more than make up for the hiccups here and there.

8.)Sherlock- Stylish modern-day adaptation of the classic detective stories. Benedict Cumberbatch does a great job portraying Sherlock, and the show has received quite a few accolades for writing and acting since it started.

9.)Carnivale- I still hate HBO for canceling this, but the first two seasons are worth the time if you want to watch a stylish show of good versus evil set n the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.

10.)The Thick of It- 'The Office' set in the British government with Peter Capaldi (the current Doctor) as the vulgar and hilarious anti-hero.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I don't think I need to explain mine, they're pretty much mostly comedies (some animated). No particular order:

1) South Park
2) Married with Children
3) Game of Thrones
4) Adventure Time
5) The Twilight Zone
6) Star Trek: The Next Generation
7) The Three Stooges
8) Futurama
9) Scrubs
10) Band of Brothers

There's a lot of other shows that everyone raves about that I've never watched, so my list is probably odd to some folks.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
5.)House of Cards- Kevin Spacey's best work. His character, Frank Underwood, would fit right in with the political landscape of Game of Thrones.
I loved House of Cards, but after season two, you start to realize that Frank is unbeatable. He's like Batman, but in politics. The acting performances are great, I just can't suspend my disbelief.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The Wire
The West Wing
Band of Brothers
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sherlock
Mad Men
Rome
ST: TNG
Archer
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I hate to just pick ten across the board. Some are concentrated power, and some are long-running with a few brilliant gems. I tended to side with the concentrated ones that were more consistently good. Archer's place is at risk right now. Brooklyn Nine-Nine doesn't have much history yet, but it's almost perfect at the moment.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Everyone's list is wrong for several reasons.

Shows x y and z are way better than shows a b and c. I can't believe no one has mentioned show r yet. Blank is stupid for liking n.

spronk

FPS noob
gonna go all retro and shit

1. beverly hillbillies
2. hogan's heroes
3. looney tunes
4. pinky and the brain
5. the a-team
6. i love lucy
7. flintstones
8. jetsons
9. scooby doo
10. bob barker price is right

well i'm old but not so old i can't remember the names

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
In no particular order

Firefly
Chuck
Game of Thrones
Castle
Twilight Zone
Lost in Space
BSG
Continuum
Hustle
Fringe

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The West Wing - the writing is head, shoulders, and butt above pretty much everything else on TV
Battlestar Galactica - outstanding story, liked the characters
Star Trek DS9 - interesting to watch the federation at war
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - remarkable to see a believable, likable Christian character in a mainstream show
MASH - crazy how much satire was accomplished without censorship that early
The Newsroom - again, interesting writing, and a unique perspective on America that is not anti-American
Kitchen Nightmares - I have a total man crush on Gordon Ramsay
Iron Chef - Because what the fuck. Those ingredients...
American Chopper - It's fun to watch someone really good at their job build beautiful things
Holmes on Homes - that dude knows what he is doing, and has a pretty great charity thing going on, too. quality guy. And very good at his job.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
1. Breaking Bad/ The Wire
3. Sopranos
4. Thrones
5. Always Sunny
6. Survivor
7. The Shield
8. South Park
9. Perfect Strangers(Fuck you, I loved that show as a kid)
10. The Walking Dead - yes, it's garbage half the time but damn if I don't watch it live every week, barring a crazy good SNF game.

Oldbased

> Than U
The West Wing - the writing is head, shoulders, and butt above pretty much everything else on TV
Battlestar Galactica - outstanding story, liked the characters
Star Trek DS9 - interesting to watch the federation at war
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - remarkable to see a believable, likable Christian character in a mainstream show
MASH - crazy how much satire was accomplished without censorship that early
The Newsroom - again, interesting writing, and a unique perspective on America that is not anti-American
Kitchen Nightmares - I have a total man crush on Gordon Ramsay
Iron Chef - Because what the fuck. Those ingredients...
American Chopper - It's fun to watch someone really good at their job build beautiful things
Holmes on Homes - that dude knows what he is doing, and has a pretty great charity thing going on, too. quality guy. And very good at his job.
Mine would be very close to that. Drop DS9 and add TNG, remove Studio 60, Newsroom on down. Holmes sometimes pisses me off he isn't always right.
MASH, Battlestar, West Wing TNG, MacGyver, Gilligan's Island, Star Trek-original, Cheers, Property Brothers and The Walking Dead.
Some shows on that list I have not really seen much of for 20+ years but I defined the list of the shows in the past 35 years I made it a point to watch every time I could. I did watch ALL of the MASH episodes about 8 years ago in a few weeks however.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
1) Firefly
2) The Wire
3) Game of Thrones
4) Babylon Five
5) South Park
6) Simpsons (minus the last 15 years, since I haven't seen it but 14 year old me thought it was goddamn awesome)
7) Star Trek: TNG
8) Breaking Bad
9) Battle Star Galactica Season 1-2
10) Dexter Season 1-3, maybe 4

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
1. GoT
3. Breaking Bad
4. Deadwood
5. Seasons 1-4 of Dexter
6. Sopranos
7. Seinfeld
8. Batman the animated series
9. Mad Men
10. Tales from the Crypt

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
1 LOST
2 Boston Legal
3 ER
4 Law and Order - original
5 Fringe
6 Eureka
7 Breaking Bad
8 The Wire
9 The Shield
10 Justified
11 Firefly

These likely are not in order and i could possibly go on for ages heh -

Szlia

In somewhat chronological order (shows not yet mentioned in bold):

Treme
Generation Kill
The Wire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
West Wing
Homicide
The O.C.
E.R. (I only saw the first few seasons)
The Kingdom(danish comedy/horror show by Lars von Trier)
Twin Peaks

Honorable mentions (still running / too short / too up and down / etc):The Knick, True Detective, The Shield, Studio 60, Firefly,Californication, Games of Throne, Breaking Bad,House M.D.,Homeland, Scrubs, Mad Men,Wild Palms,United States of Tara,Oz,Dream On,Extras+ more I surely forgot (I removed all the animated stuff, but do sketch comedy shows like Monty Python's Flying Circus or The State count?).

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
No order:

Lost (okay, definitely #1. for me it wasn't just the show, but the nostalgia it hits in me. When Lost was on it was pretty much the only time I would hang out with my sister every week before we both moved out and stuff)
Game of Thrones
The Wire
The Simpsons
Family Guy's first few years
Futurama
Peep Show
Derek
Always Sunny
Eastbound & Down
True Detective