YouTube's War on Ad Blockers

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
no ads on firefox anymore. its back to normal for me.
Same here too after I did a recent reformat/install. My kids would enjoy watching silly counting/color videos that were 30-60+ minutes long and it became way too common for me to glance up from a book and see an ad that was 30+ minutes long itself. Bitch thats an episode of something, not an ad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
if you use brave you can manually purge your filters by going to brave://components and force an update to fix youtube bitching
took me a while to find it, should be more obvious

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No issues past few weeks. I'm permanently logged into YouTube since before this started. I have never actually logged into an account during this, which it sounds like might affect it.

Firefox and UBO only. Never seen a warning or a strike ever.

Based on what has been reported here in early December, it sounds like users who log into YouTube get printed by the new YouTube adblock system.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
i'm not saying get more ram to fix shitty firefox
3affdb846fd6de4438b4197640c875f3.png

but we've always advocated getting 32g from 16g in the build pc thread and 2 sticks is so cheap now (of course cheaper if you want 16gb if you want to add instead of replacing)

Hey that's my ram!

1702626774500.png

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Is Google changing tactics? In the last few weeks I've noticed YouTube is absolutely dogshit slow and unresponsive. Like it takes 4-6 seconds for the video UI to appear when I mouse over, then another 4-6 for the curor to switch from the desktop arrow to the pointer finger when I track over the control elements, and a similar amount of time to respond to play/pause or seek in a video. This happens only for YouTube and not any other site or tab, including video. This is on firefox, and yes, I've rebooted and I've got gigabit fiber.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is Google changing tactics? In the last few weeks I've noticed YouTube is absolutely dogshit slow and unresponsive. Like it takes 4-6 seconds for the video UI to appear when I mouse over, then another 4-6 for the curor to switch from the desktop arrow to the pointer finger when I track over the control elements, and a similar amount of time to respond to play/pause or seek in a video. This happens only for YouTube and not any other site or tab, including video. This is on firefox, and yes, I've rebooted and I've got gigabit fiber.
On Vivaldi (Chromium based): I just opened up 8 or so various videos from Lex Freeman to Police Watch and it's working like normal for me.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

They stated a few weeks back they were doing this to users that they could detect blocking ads. Vivaldi still working fine.

• 1Like

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Saw a new one today. Typically I've been able to block ads or they show for a split second then go away. Today, ads will show up as a non-playing video. It comes up and shows the first frame with buttons to skip or watch it. You can immediately click skip, or if you leave it alone it goes away after about 5 seconds.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
And now it's back to being fucked in Edge. It's fine in Firefox still.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
their ads aren't getting filtered no more

no cai xuan, i'm not interested in expired ass, youre almost as old as me!
b7af3c1dcb2c18195a677f80088a4473.jpg

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

I'm not closing my tabs or resetting anything to test.

Right now on Firefox I have a near 3 second loading delay on the domain minimum, and then clicking videos is about a near 2 sec delay and slow loading that you describe. Not near 4-5 seconds for me, but it's noted.

If you mean "it seems like I'm on a 1999 internet connection", then yeah I see that. However, as another poster said last month-- drops in performance are not enough to force me to switch. I have 0 ad problems throughout this whole thing. Never saw a warning or anything about ads ever. My performance issues are not as bad as yours are, but similar enough that I know what you're talking about.

My CPU idle being near 70 C is the reason I'd ultimately switch from Firefox at some point. AMD and Firefox don't mix. It's just unsustainable and I already lost one CPU to it.

And what Hekotat said is accurate. They said they are throttling browsers that are detected as blocking. They would need to really throttle performance to a ridiculous degree to actually get anyone to stop using Firefox.

Last edited:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have one PC with an older build of Firefox on it that has had that loading delay on youtube for years, same PC has brave installed and it's just fine on that. Might be worth to try, so far Ublock Origin and Brave or Edge have been ad-free for me as long as I let UO update before I open the youtube tab.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Installed Brave and swapped over to Startpage as a search engine. No YouTube ads so far ... I am very surprised. Sociopathic billion dollar tech companies never ever give up revenue streams.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
  • 2WTF

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Illegal as hell in the EU, would likely get them in trouble elsewhere depending on exactly what they are doing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh wow it's actually true

this only affect abp

i only had 1 window and played a vid in chrome
c9ed59ae2bcfe35b0a6d4091f786701b.png

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF